SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Bridge one, sailboat zero (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/94528-bridge-one-sailboat-zero.html)

Captainmeme 11-28-2012 03:07 PM

Bridge one, sailboat zero

2 Attachment(s)
Received these photos from a member of the sailing club I belong to.
Here is an edited copy of what he sent:
"The owner" wasn't on it but some friends who borrowed it were. The
sailboat group called the bridge tender with a group of three to pass, but
the new Tortoise Island bridge tender apparently can only count to two
despite the towering masts. The bridge first lowered onto the sailboat
driving the mast through the keel, then raised the bridge destroying all the
new rigging, until finally plunging the boat back into the water. The
bridge was tied up for hours.

Bradhamlet 11-28-2012 03:21 PM

Re: Bridge one, sailboat zero

Did the rig snag the bridge? How did the chain plates not rip out of the deck? Wow. Way stronger than I would have thought.
Brad
Lancer 36

azguy 11-28-2012 03:35 PM

Funny pictures, I saw these a few weeks ago on another site. I think the boats owner posted them.

Shows you anything can happen at any time...

Seaduction 11-28-2012 04:06 PM

I live just south of there. Last time I went through that bridge, I couldn't get the bridgetender to answer my call on VHF channel 9 after several calls. I finally used the horn and he saw me and raised the bridge. I assume the bridgetender still has no VHF radio, which may account for the debacle. Last years christmas boat parade went smoothly as the bridge was raised for the entire parade.:D

jameswilson29 11-28-2012 04:07 PM

Nice, if you could maneuver a dinghy under the boat, that would be a good way to clean the bottom.

AdamLein 11-28-2012 04:39 PM

I've always heard that each shroud and stay should be able to hold the boat's entire displacement.

smurphny 11-28-2012 04:45 PM

I hate it when that happens!

JoeDiver 11-28-2012 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by azguy (Post 954321)
Funny pictures, I saw these a few weeks ago on another site. I think the boats owner posted them.

Shows you anything can happen at any time...

Yeah, Tom let a friend of his use the boat:

Association Forum - New haul-out method

Harborless 11-28-2012 05:46 PM

Last time I was going through the Ortega Landing Bridge I could not get a response from the controller either. I ended up motoring right up to the bridge and having to do circles until the guy finally sees me and hits the buzzer. Im just cuttin circles on CH. 9 like wtf?

Its funny though because I think I usually have the same operator since I go sailing the same times usually. Anyway I single hand most times and since its illegal to go under a bridge under sail I always motor about 200 yards from the bridge then scurry aROUND lowering my sails to motor through.
Well every time I do this once I clear the other side about 100 yards I leave the tiller and start raising sails. Well I always sort of turn around like im getting pushed back under the bridge bc no one is holding the tilller and I swear everytime the guy hits the alarm like I am about to crash into the bridge. Everytime I re-raise my sails and hop back in the ****-pit and correct my course and listen to the buzzer stop.

I bet that guy curses me every time but its funny because he probably thinks im a moron about to crash his boat into the draw bridge. Every time I just look back as I start to sail away and laugh. But its cool though, at least he calls me "cap'n."

capta 11-28-2012 06:03 PM

I've been looking for an alternative to getting screwed by the boat yards.