Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-01-2012

MarkofSeaLife is on a distinguished road
Re: Follow the ARC

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyruffn View Post

You can't make this stuff up!
No one needs to make it up.
Most people on their early long passages cruising break more stuff. You don't need to be in a rally. You want to see ex-racers go in their first long passage. Bits flying off the boat like confetti at a wedding.

After a period of time people learn is much less expensive on the wallet and toe nails to slow the friggin boat down!

Another point from an earlier post, Billy, no one MUST start at the time of the rally. The ARC are very clear on it. You can start whenever you like, just not before the start time. But you are right that most want to start on time because they want to "win". For those that didnt want to be smashed around would have gone south first. It would all have been explained, the different weathe route options at the skippers briefing.

Mark
Ps is there a better spell checker for iPad than the moron ice on apple put in?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by MarkofSeaLife; 12-01-2012 at 06:32 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 12-02-2012
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by turban10 View Post
Its always interesting reading what types of boats are entered in the ARCs and other blue water rallies.

On this site, you will find page after page of people comparing one blue water boat to another and when the question of a mass-production boat comes into the fray, then the fecal matter starts to really hits the fan.

But looking at the entries, one sees a bunch of Beneteau Oceanises, Jeanneau Sun Odysseyies, and other production boats that don't get as much respect as the Amels and Valiants of this world.

So its pretty educational to see what people on sailing forums consider blue water boats, versus the actual type of boats that are sailed in blue water.
I am currently writing a book about extended cruising and the people and boats involved. You do see an incredible variety of boats in obscure places (think Mangareva or Mauritius), but there are a disproportionate number of Amels for example. To point out that it is not just a matter of money, you also see quite a few Albin Vegas. Also note that the ARC is used to take new charter boats to the Caribbean from Europe so this accounts for some of the new, 'production boats' (note that Amels and Valiants are also production boats). Also note, that Europeans typically have newer boats than North Americans (Ainia just had her 30th birthday, so we are typical of North Americans).
Back in the water in Grenada - with new main and #2 and cockpit canvas (Santa came early). Will spend the winter and early spring in the Caribbean and then head to Bermuda and the northeast US. Still trying to decide if we will bring the boat to Canada, either in 2015 or 2016.
Old 12-02-2012
SV Skalliwag #141

brokesailor is on a distinguished road

"The night brought yet more drama. With Minkey on solo watch, a strong squall hit Pea sending her on a thrilling high speed run. Luckily for us, he held his nerve and kept the boat flying along for a good 30mins until the squall had passed over. Once things had settled down and we'd changed watch we had another moment of high drama. We saw a single red navigational light begin to close our position from our starboard quarter and it quickly became obvious that we were on a collision course with another yacht.

In this situation it is important to know which vessel is the "stand on" boat, as it is a requirement for the vessel with right of way to hold their course and for the other vessel to take avoiding action. Around the cans in the Solent this is easy to assess, but out here in the middle of the Atlantic, at night, it was a bit more challenging. However, having established that we were the Stand On vessel, it was our obligation to hold our course unless we felt the other vessel was not going to take avoiding action. So we stood on while they closed in us.... and we stood on whilst they got closer and closer becoming increasingly anxious. We tried to call them on the VHF radio without success and then signalled them with our search light - to which they responded!. Feeling reassured we stood on again anticipating that they would now take action to avoid us. However they failed to do so. In desperation, we lit up our sails with the emergency search light to ensure they knew they did not have the right of way and that we intended to Stand On.

We should also mention that we were running dead downwind in 30 kts of breeze with a preventer line attached to our boom to hold it in position, and our genoa headsail poled out to windward. Neither of these features of our sail plan made it particularly easy to take quick avoiding action.

We clinged to the hope that the other boat understood their obligation to avoid us and indeed would do so. BUT, sadly not. With what could only have been a couple of hundred metres between us - ironic whilst surrounded by the vastness of the ocean - here we were in a very real potential collision situation. The other yacht was coming straight for us and now we couldn't drop our pole fast enough to harden up onto the wind and sail behind them as were already to close to do this, and we couldn't gybe the main sail because of the preventer line.

So all we could do was leave the sails exactly as they were, and go into a controlled gybe, without releasing the preventer in order to stall the boat and let the other vessel sail past us. Normally this is the sort of thing that breaks rigs but we were lucky, just a lot of shaken nerves. Once our nerves had calmed and we finished sounding off every explitive we could think of, we got ourselves organised and continued on our way. We still have no idea who the other vessel was, or why they seemed content to simply sail into us. However, it kept us on our toes for the rest of the night, and we're happy to report that nothing untoward came of our close encounter late in the night. Pea has continued on her way making great progress towards her destination."

Like they say, you can't make this stuff up!
Old 12-02-2012

MarkofSeaLife is on a distinguished road

Quote:

Like they say, you can't make this stuff up!
Yes, we'll, I don't quite know what you mean by saying it. But it's not remarkable. Racing around the cans on a Saturday afternoon these occurrences happen all the time... Last race series I was in (Antigua race week) there was a protest in our division after EVERY race. And it was a cruising division! And each day about 20 protests over all.

Half the reason is that old wankers on these forums denigrate the new technology like AIS preferring paper, sextants and baring compasses. Quite obviously if both boats had AIS this situation would not have occurred.

But it's not extraordinary. All ships have it, all fishing vessels that go well off shore have it... It's only $500 for a transponder.... But it's the cruisers who are the last up takers of it!

If you don't have AIS buy one.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-02-2012

Slayer is on a distinguished road

A question/comment about the log entry broke sailor posted. The watch person determined it was a sailing vessel because he saw no masthead light. I am guessing he was sailing on a starboard tack and the approaching vessel was to windward, and that he how he established he was the standon vessel. I don't think I would have relied on having the right of way as long as he did. I think I would have at least prepared to take actions a lot sooner....probably as soon as I realized I couldn't make radio contact with the boat and it wasn't altering course.
Old 12-02-2012

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife View Post

Half the reason is that old wankers on these forums denigrate the new technology like AIS preferring paper, sextants and baring compasses. Quite obviously if both boats had AIS this situation would not have occurred.

But it's not extraordinary. All ships have it, all fishing vessels that go well off shore have it... It's only $500 for a transponder.... But it's the cruisers who are the last up takers of it!

If you don't have AIS buy one.
I'd be interested to see if you can find any poster here who has "denigrated" AIS... I, for one, think it's one of the greatest things since sliced bread, particularly for a singlehanded sailor, offshore. And while running down the Chesapeake yesterday morning in heavy fog, I sure wish the boat I'd been on would have had it...

However, how would AIS resolved/avoided this particular situation? Seems from the account that the other boat, apparently not monitoring VHF, did not understand that they were the burdened vessel? A DSC call enabled by AIS apparently would have gone unanswered. What would AIS alone have done to make their responsibility understood to them? All it would have done, is make clear what was already obvious - that the two boats were on a collision course... I just fail to see how the technology of AIS in itself "quite obviously" would have prevented this close encounter from having occurred...

No more than your iPad's spellchecker prevents you from typing unintended words...

Frankly, I dread the day when every single boat on the water is equipped with an AIS transponder... The clutter in certain waters will be unimaginable, the alarm will be sounding continuously, and that's when the Big Boys in steel ships will likely begin in earnest to filter out us recreational sailors in our tiny plastic toys...

Quote:

Clutter likely to become a significant distraction

Clearly as more and more leisure boaters invest in low cost AIS transponders, the problems of Class B clutter on navigation displays for those navigating large vessels is likely to be a significant distraction.

Under such circumstances, filtering of all AIS Class B targets and supressing alarms might be necessary to avoid distracting those on the bridge. It is a fact that the Class B AIS Update Rate is too slow and recreational craft frequently navigate too closely for Class B information to be useful to larger vessels in busy, congested and confined waters.

However, it is at these times that when the most pairs of eyes will be looking out of the bridge window!

AIS transmissions from small craft | Current Issues | Cruising | RYA

Last edited by JonEisberg; 12-02-2012 at 11:18 AM.
Old 12-02-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

While we have a pretty realistic Eastern seaboard to Caribbean semi-retired cruising plan, our real bucket list journey is a two year sail across the pond to England, down to the Med for a year or so, back to the Caribbean with the ARC and then up the coast to home again. The only problem is, my wife does not think she can do two crossings. The rest sounds great to her. She wants me to find crew for the crossing and she'll fly and reconnect. In the end, I would do that before trying to talk her into it. Someday.......

Some big dogs in the ARC. I saw plenty of Oysters and Swans in the 60ft to 80ft range. Naturally at the front of the pack.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 12-02-2012
SV Skalliwag #141

brokesailor is on a distinguished road
Follow the ARC

Mark of sealift: if you read the original post on this thread it is meant to share the good posts out of the ARC. I am not passing judgement, just copying it for others to read. It's hard to filter out of the hundreds of posts the really good ones. Then again some of the stories - you just could not make up even if you tried.
Old 12-02-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

JOn...was that who passed us in the fog off of the Patapsco yesterday...I would have waved.

We were out with the Radar and AIS on. Have a new real time AIS Ap on the IPad I am trying out called Boat Beacon/ Was running it concurrently yesterday and today with my networked AIS ( Raymarine). First time I used it and the AP was spot on.

Not an endorsement yet, but at first glance worked well. Even showed time the AIS was updated. Longest one was 2 minutes on an anchored ship south of the Bay Bridge.

Dave

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 12-02-2012

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
JOn...was that who passed us in the fog off of the Patapsco yesterday...I would have waved.
You would have had to be out there pretty early, I was in Annapolis by about 0900... REALLY dumb move stopping at Tolchester the night before, should have just kept going thru... But there was no mention of fog in the forecast, and I was a bit tired after leaving Cape May around 0400, so... However, I should have known better...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
We were out with the Radar and AIS on. Have a new real time AIS Ap on the IPad I am trying out called Boat Beacon/ Was running it concurrently yesterday and today with my networked AIS ( Raymarine). First time I used it and the AP was spot on.

Not an endorsement yet, but at first glance worked well. Even showed time the AIS was updated. Longest one was 2 minutes on an anchored ship south of the Bay Bridge.

Dave
Gotta confess, I'm completely clueless about iPad apps, and their use aboard boats... But, how far offshore would such a thing work? It's dependent upon some sort of cellular or similar signal, no?

When it comes to AIS, I'd much prefer consistent, real-time info from a true AIS receiver... With manufacturers like Standard Horizon offering VHF with integrated AIS receive capability for $300, I'd much prefer going that route, without having to worry about a device like an iPad, that needs to be kept charged, or is dependent upon some 3rd party site/app, etc...

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.