Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-30-2012
Puget Sound Pounder

kellysails is on a distinguished road
Cruising Outpost out

The new Cruising Outpost is out, at least in a digital version. My hardcopy is somewhere in transit. I just could not wait. From my initial 15-minute scan it looks great! 180 pages! And, thank God, not a single article on the ICW, good news for us Left Coasty’s. Just in time as my Cruising World subscription is lapsing this month and I am not going to renew it. I am now determined to NOT look at the electronic version until that hardcopy rag is in my hands. Not sure I can pull that off.

So I know that there are some sailneter’s out there that really don’t have warm feelings for the former Lats & Atts magazine, as it was somewhat rough around the edges. The new CO is true to that same style. When you take the former owner of a biker and tattoo magazine and have that person create a cruising magazine it will certainly have the look and feel of the former. That is okay by me.

I have met editor/owner Bob “Bitchin” Lipkin on a couple of occasions. As is often the case, there is much more to a person than the public external view. The fact that he survives in a very difficult industry is one thing, but to have a year (2012) like he has had and to build again scratch is amazing. Clearly, he made some pretty horrific mistakes in his business (which he openly admits). He sold Lats & Atts to a pretty shady group with (from what I can tell) only a cursory level of due diligence. This action sent him towards financial ruin. Though we REALLY must give props to a guy that has shown a striking level of leadership to circle the wagons of his rag tag army to put humpty dumpty’s pieces all back together again. Bob is not a party animal (or maybe additionally to being…) but truly a focused leader that gets s#%t done no matter what adversity he is facing. Not to mention doing this while on the high side of 60’s in age.

Last edited by kellysails; 11-30-2012 at 03:55 PM. Reason: type
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-01-2012
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road
Re: Cruising Outpost out

We attended the opening of the St.Pete Boat Show and Bob and Jody are back with print versions of the new magazine. While I was never much of a fan of the old magazine, I have long admired his work ethic and his ability to pull diverse elements together into a business model that has reasonably wide appeal. I was glad to see that the fiasco that led to the demise of L&A did not deter him from trying again although it is a shame to have seen so much effort go down the tubes and his having to start over again so late in life. Never-the-less, we wish him well.

FWIW..

PS: The other vendors at the Show--many former and now future advertisers--are being very supportive of his efforts, including Spectra (Water Makers) that donated a 1500 system to him for his raffle. That was good to see.
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Old 12-02-2012
Puget Sound Pounder

kellysails is on a distinguished road
Re: Cruising Outpost out

Glad to see he is getting support from the industry. He seems to be a person to never go down without a fight and it is nice to see others recognize that. Still don't have the hardcopy yet, hmmm, but I went completely through the electronic version. It is very nice, piles of articles and I don't feel bombarded with ads.

Last edited by kellysails; 12-02-2012 at 05:28 PM. Reason: yet another typo