Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-30-2012
Puget Sound Pounder

kellysails is on a distinguished road
Cruising Outpost out

The new Cruising Outpost is out, at least in a digital version. My hardcopy is somewhere in transit. I just could not wait. From my initial 15-minute scan it looks great! 180 pages! And, thank God, not a single article on the ICW, good news for us Left Coasty’s. Just in time as my Cruising World subscription is lapsing this month and I am not going to renew it. I am now determined to NOT look at the electronic version until that hardcopy rag is in my hands. Not sure I can pull that off.

So I know that there are some sailneter’s out there that really don’t have warm feelings for the former Lats & Atts magazine, as it was somewhat rough around the edges. The new CO is true to that same style. When you take the former owner of a biker and tattoo magazine and have that person create a cruising magazine it will certainly have the look and feel of the former. That is okay by me.

I have met editor/owner Bob “Bitchin” Lipkin on a couple of occasions. As is often the case, there is much more to a person than the public external view. The fact that he survives in a very difficult industry is one thing, but to have a year (2012) like he has had and to build again scratch is amazing. Clearly, he made some pretty horrific mistakes in his business (which he openly admits). He sold Lats & Atts to a pretty shady group with (from what I can tell) only a cursory level of due diligence. This action sent him towards financial ruin. Though we REALLY must give props to a guy that has shown a striking level of leadership to circle the wagons of his rag tag army to put humpty dumpty’s pieces all back together again. Bob is not a party animal (or maybe additionally to being…) but truly a focused leader that gets s#%t done no matter what adversity he is facing. Not to mention doing this while on the high side of 60’s in age.

Last edited by kellysails; 11-30-2012 at 04:55 PM. Reason: type
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 12-01-2012
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road
Re: Cruising Outpost out

We attended the opening of the St.Pete Boat Show and Bob and Jody are back with print versions of the new magazine. While I was never much of a fan of the old magazine, I have long admired his work ethic and his ability to pull diverse elements together into a business model that has reasonably wide appeal. I was glad to see that the fiasco that led to the demise of L&A did not deter him from trying again although it is a shame to have seen so much effort go down the tubes and his having to start over again so late in life. Never-the-less, we wish him well.

FWIW..

PS: The other vendors at the Show--many former and now future advertisers--are being very supportive of his efforts, including Spectra (Water Makers) that donated a 1500 system to him for his raffle. That was good to see.
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Old 12-02-2012
Puget Sound Pounder

kellysails is on a distinguished road
Re: Cruising Outpost out

Glad to see he is getting support from the industry. He seems to be a person to never go down without a fight and it is nice to see others recognize that. Still don't have the hardcopy yet, hmmm, but I went completely through the electronic version. It is very nice, piles of articles and I don't feel bombarded with ads.

Last edited by kellysails; 12-02-2012 at 06:28 PM. Reason: yet another typo

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.