SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Catalina model specification guide?

2K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  Alex W 
#1 ·
Looking at purchasing a 1987 Catalina 22 Mark 1 with swing keel for an asking price of 5,500. Is there a source in which I can discover everything the boat should have/setup so I can intelligently compare what it actually has to help in flexing the price?

#2 ·
Boats of that age are rarely still 'as equipped' when original. A lot of gear will have been updated and added (one hopes).

I'd say that the best thing to do is peruse other similar listings and get an idea of what is average condition and equipment vs reasonable price.

Yachtworld.com is one source, there are many other 'sailboats for sale' sites (Sailingtexas is probably better for smaller boats)

#3 · (Edited)
There's a huge range in values for a boat that age. $5,500 would be the high end for a boat in excellent condition inside and out, with newer sails and rigging and a solid outboard.

Catalina22.org is a great source for information and they have an interesting tool on their web site for calculating the value of older C22's. You can find it here - Boat Value Calculator.

And this site contains tons of how-to articles for the boat

Catalina 22's are great boats and there are a LOT of them out there. Don't be afraid to shop around a little. Just be prepared to kiss a lot of frogs to find your princess.

EDIT: Just noticed you're in Alaska. That may mean higher prices and fewer boats to choose from.

Best of luck,
Jim

Reactions: Lou452
#4 ·
I'll agree with JimMcGee. Most C22's available in the lower 48 states have a median price of around $2500. That often will include an outboard, working trailer and boat in sailing condition. $5500 is quite a high price for a C22 unless there are not many available in AK. My 27' boat cost us $4K to purchase.

This may not be what you were looking for but the basic spec for the C22' is here: CATALINA 22 sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com
It does not give you a list of basic gear that should come with the boat but only the bare bones.

#5 ·
The boat value calculator Jim left you a link to is a good tool because you can plug the one you are looking at into it. I also got a "old salt" to help guide me as what to inspect before I found my C-22. Anyone that has one or had one might help you look but it is your $. Value is found in how much you will enjoy it not what it will cost. Best wishes for your hunt, Lou

#6 ·
As others have said, there's probably no comprehensive list and a lot of stuff could have been changed or upgraded since then, but here's the manual:

http://www.catalina22.org/documents/files_pdf/1987-owner_manual.pdf

It's probably more important that she has everything you want, rather than everything that she had in 1987.

I have an 87 C22 and I love her. It's a good vintage in my opinion...kind of transitional period between the original and the Mk II (but not so special as to warrant premium pricing). Ping me if you have any questions.

#8 ·
Our 1984 Catalina 25 came with the original receipt that had the full options list at delivery time. I looked at it a couple of times out of curiosity, but it wasn't very useful.

$5500 is on the high side, but might be reasonable if the boat has a new engine, all new standing and running rigging, a good sail inventory with new sails, recent bottom paint, new cushions, a healthy set of electronics, and includes a lot of accessories (PFDs, dinghy, etc).

One can easily spend a lot more than $5500 on a $1500 Catalina 22 by fixing all of those issues. Finding a boat where all of that work has been done will often save money compared to buying a cheap boat that needs all of the work.

#9 ·
No engine
On a scale of 10 the standing and running rigging is a 7-8
Sails are probably 10 years old and condition is an 8
no recent bottom paint, that was my next project for it (I wanted to change the color scheme)
No electronics, I would consider throwing a handheld gps/MF/HF
I have two rolls of brand new cover material for the cushions, just never got around to that project.
There are a couple seat cushion style flotation devices.
There is a control panel that has been mounted inside the house for lights and bilges.. Just need to get a battery for it.

Think I'm going to pass and wait for a better deal. Sounds like its still got a lot of work and money to be great.

#10 ·
I think you are wize and happy not to buy this one. Value is relative but researching the market to see what others think is a good scale to use. I am happy with my C-22 $3000 a 1974 that seems to be in nice shape. Agian it is not what you pay but how much you will enjoy. It is hard to put a price tag on fun. You can rent a movie for a dollar or go see a show for a lot more. When you are finished you have nothing in you hand to sell. The fun or joy is not related to the dollars. Some buy new boats with a value that sinks as fast as the Titanic. Others drag one out of the bone yard and spend years and tons of money. You will find the one that you like . Take your time. Spend time on finding out what year and condition fits you. In my opinion you kind of have three C-22 The early years low free board might be a little faster with less room the middle years and the new ones The new ones have less wood and lower up keep. The way a boat has been treated means more than what year it is. Enjoy your shearch let us share your joy when you find the right boat. I hope its a Catalina - 22 any boat with a sail is beautiful Regards, Lou

#11 ·
Craigslist is better for boats of this vintage... also try sailboatlistings.
Also look at Capri 22s, they have less down below than a Cat 22, but generally sail a bit better (arguably)... Alaska as a location also might draw a premium price on used sailboats just because of location.

#12 ·
I agree on the suggestion of the Capri 22. I raced them a few times this summer and it's a really fun boat. It has a little less cabin space than the Catalina 22 (both are small), but as a day sailor it is great. I like the wide decks and big cockpit of the Capri 22, and it handles nicely and is pretty fast.

For a price comparison a friend has a 70s Catalina 22 that he bought for around $1500 with newly recovered cushions, and a new engine, but requiring new sails and general cleaning. For $5500 I'd expect a C-22 to be in excellent condition with mostly new equipment.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.