Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-01-2012

Capt Nos is on a distinguished road
Catalina model specification guide?

Looking at purchasing a 1987 Catalina 22 Mark 1 with swing keel for an asking price of 5,500. Is there a source in which I can discover everything the boat should have/setup so I can intelligently compare what it actually has to help in flexing the price?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-01-2012
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Re: Catalina model specification guide?

Boats of that age are rarely still 'as equipped' when original. A lot of gear will have been updated and added (one hopes).

I'd say that the best thing to do is peruse other similar listings and get an idea of what is average condition and equipment vs reasonable price.

Yachtworld.com is one source, there are many other 'sailboats for sale' sites (Sailingtexas is probably better for smaller boats)

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 12-01-2012

JimMcGee is on a distinguished road

There's a huge range in values for a boat that age. $5,500 would be the high end for a boat in excellent condition inside and out, with newer sails and rigging and a solid outboard.

Catalina22.org is a great source for information and they have an interesting tool on their web site for calculating the value of older C22's. You can find it here - Boat Value Calculator.

And this site contains tons of how-to articles for the boat

Catalina 22's are great boats and there are a LOT of them out there. Don't be afraid to shop around a little. Just be prepared to kiss a lot of frogs to find your princess.

EDIT: Just noticed you're in Alaska. That may mean higher prices and fewer boats to choose from.

Best of luck,
Jim
Lou452 likes this.

ďIf a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most" - E.B. White

Last edited by JimMcGee; 12-01-2012 at 07:32 PM.
Old 12-01-2012
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough

I'll agree with JimMcGee. Most C22's available in the lower 48 states have a median price of around $2500. That often will include an outboard, working trailer and boat in sailing condition. $5500 is quite a high price for a C22 unless there are not many available in AK. My 27' boat cost us $4K to purchase.

This may not be what you were looking for but the basic spec for the C22' is here: CATALINA 22 sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com
It does not give you a list of basic gear that should come with the boat but only the bare bones.

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-01-2012
sunfish?junior?

Lou452 is on a distinguished road

The boat value calculator Jim left you a link to is a good tool because you can plug the one you are looking at into it. I also got a "old salt" to help guide me as what to inspect before I found my C-22. Anyone that has one or had one might help you look but it is your $. Value is found in how much you will enjoy it not what it will cost. Best wishes for your hunt, Lou
Old 12-02-2012
Fortuitous

chip is on a distinguished road

As others have said, there's probably no comprehensive list and a lot of stuff could have been changed or upgraded since then, but here's the manual:

http://www.catalina22.org/documents/...ner_manual.pdf

It's probably more important that she has everything you want, rather than everything that she had in 1987.

I have an 87 C22 and I love her. It's a good vintage in my opinion...kind of transitional period between the original and the Mk II (but not so special as to warrant premium pricing). Ping me if you have any questions.
Old 12-02-2012

You all are insanely helpful. Thank you.

Last edited by Capt Nos; 12-02-2012 at 04:45 PM.
Old 12-03-2012
always busy with sailing

Alex W is on a distinguished road

Our 1984 Catalina 25 came with the original receipt that had the full options list at delivery time. I looked at it a couple of times out of curiosity, but it wasn't very useful.

$5500 is on the high side, but might be reasonable if the boat has a new engine, all new standing and running rigging, a good sail inventory with new sails, recent bottom paint, new cushions, a healthy set of electronics, and includes a lot of accessories (PFDs, dinghy, etc).

One can easily spend a lot more than $5500 on a $1500 Catalina 22 by fixing all of those issues. Finding a boat where all of that work has been done will often save money compared to buying a cheap boat that needs all of the work.
Old 12-07-2012

No engine
On a scale of 10 the standing and running rigging is a 7-8
Sails are probably 10 years old and condition is an 8
no recent bottom paint, that was my next project for it (I wanted to change the color scheme)
No electronics, I would consider throwing a handheld gps/MF/HF
I have two rolls of brand new cover material for the cushions, just never got around to that project.
There are a couple seat cushion style flotation devices.
There is a control panel that has been mounted inside the house for lights and bilges.. Just need to get a battery for it.

Think I'm going to pass and wait for a better deal. Sounds like its still got a lot of work and money to be great.
Lou452 likes this.
Old 12-07-2012
sunfish?junior?

Lou452 is on a distinguished road

I think you are wize and happy not to buy this one. Value is relative but researching the market to see what others think is a good scale to use. I am happy with my C-22 $3000 a 1974 that seems to be in nice shape. Agian it is not what you pay but how much you will enjoy. It is hard to put a price tag on fun. You can rent a movie for a dollar or go see a show for a lot more. When you are finished you have nothing in you hand to sell. The fun or joy is not related to the dollars. Some buy new boats with a value that sinks as fast as the Titanic. Others drag one out of the bone yard and spend years and tons of money. You will find the one that you like . Take your time. Spend time on finding out what year and condition fits you. In my opinion you kind of have three C-22 The early years low free board might be a little faster with less room the middle years and the new ones The new ones have less wood and lower up keep. The way a boat has been treated means more than what year it is. Enjoy your shearch let us share your joy when you find the right boat. I hope its a Catalina - 22 any boat with a sail is beautiful Regards, Lou