Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree31Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2012
Senior Smart Aleck

jameswilson29 is on a distinguished road
Why pay to sail in a rally?

Why would people pay to participate in a sailing rally?

For example, folks will actually pay $425 to sail around Delmarva with a group?

Part of the beauty of sailing is the solitude and closeness to nature. I also enjoy the flexibility of staying or leaving when I feel like it.

I am not advocating being a total hermit. After all, it is fairly easy to strike up a conversation with other sailors in marinas along the way, so why pay money to sail in a group?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 12-02-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Re: Why pay to sail in a rally?

For the party and the hat.
Sabreman and SloopJonB like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 12-02-2012

Geoff54 is on a distinguished road

Not sure why anyone would pay to sail around Delmarva. For someone with limited experience, the longer rallies have the reassurance of knowing that others are watching the weather or can help out if things go wrong. Also insurers look more favorably on a first long distance voyage if it is part of an organized group.

Plus you get a party hat.
sneuman and Sabreman like this.
Old 12-02-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

To win

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 12-02-2012
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road

Only done one rally and that was Sail Indonesia earlier this year. Big advantage is the organizers arrange for your entry and cruising permit. If you go independently, at best you will need a shipping agent and major tolerance for incredible bureaucracy. Various towns also put on dinners and performances, but you were not required to follow any schedule or go to any particular places. Overall we enjoyed it.

Don't think I would enter a rally to cross an ocean though. Not much extra security to be had as boats quickly get spread out. Also note that these rallies are merely following the routes and timings that make sense anyway. In the last couple of months we have tried to avoid, without much success, the World ARC. It is only 23 boats but when it arrives somewhere it complicates matters like docking and getting work done by sailmakers and other trades. They arrived in Mauritius when we did and reserved the entire small marina basin. They got to Richards Bay, SA just after we did and filled up much of the docking space (no anchoring allowed here). I think they will be leaving Cape Town about when we are and going to St Helena when we do - as I said, everyone in a rally or traveling independently follows pretty much the same schedule, especially in an area like Cape where the decent weather season is short.
Back in the water in Grenada - with new main and #2 and cockpit canvas (Santa came early). Will spend the winter and early spring in the Caribbean and then head to Bermuda and the northeast US. Still trying to decide if we will bring the boat to Canada, either in 2015 or 2016.
Old 12-02-2012

I think of a rally as a point to point race/passage where there are organized weather briefings, transponder tracking, check-ins, parties and hats.

I think of a flotilla as a number of cruisers making multiple stops over a period of time, where the organizer makes dockage/mooring reservations, dinner reservations, BBQs, etc. These can be fun, particularly if to new ports, where others have local knowledge. Much less stressful and the camaraderie at port can be fun, unless there is a jerk in the mix.

I organized the last flotilla I was on. That wasn't as much fun, but I was able to show some New England newbies to CuttyHunk, Martha's Vineyard and Nantucket and they repeated the trips themselves, several more times over the summer.

Jeanneau 54DS

Old 12-02-2012

MarkofSeaLife is on a distinguished road

Because its fun!!

If that the way some people like it why criticize them!
chef2sail and Minnewaska like this.

Old 12-02-2012
Master Mariner

capta is on a distinguished road

We were actually discussing this today as I'm watching the ARC now on the computer.
We might be interested in paying for the parties, but I would have no interest in all the inspections, meetings, tracking and communication stuff of the sailing parts. I don't see any value in that stuff for us, but I've quite a few trans-Atlantics under my belt and really don't need any help or have any worries on that score. Or a marina slip at the finish.
But boy the parties sound like a lot of fun!
Old 12-02-2012

Cruiser2B is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameswilson29 View Post
Why would people pay to participate in a sailing rally?

For example, folks will actually pay $425 to sail around Delmarva with a group?

Part of the beauty of sailing is the solitude and closeness to nature. I also enjoy the flexibility of staying or leaving when I feel like it.

I am not advocating being a total hermit. After all, it is fairly easy to strike up a conversation with other sailors in marinas along the way, so why pay money to sail in a group?
$$$425 maybe its the t-shirt you get!

My two lovely ladies!!
Old 12-03-2012

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff54 View Post
For someone with limited experience, the longer rallies have the reassurance of knowing that others are watching the weather or can help out if things go wrong. Also insurers look more favorably on a first long distance voyage if it is part of an organized group.
First time I've heard that about insurance... Doubt it would be a very good investment, can't imagine whatever "discount" would be sufficient to recoup the $1500+ tab for a rally like the Caribbean 1500...

As far as someone else "watching the weather" for me, if that service is being provided by one like that which gave the green light for the NARC rally last November, I think I'll pass, thank you...

And, as far as "helping out if things go wrong", I've seen very little evidence of a rally organizer's actual ability to do so... The Carib 1500 sure didn't offer much help to RULE 62, it would seem... And, many forget, they came very close to suffering another tragedy that same year, when another boat in their charge - a smaller Hallberg-Rassy - took the decision to abandon the rally after the first night, and attempt to enter Oregon Inlet in a heavy NE swell... I can't believe the organizers didn't try to dissuade them in no uncertain terms from making such a poor/risky decision, and convince them to heave-to or forereach on port tack until conditions moderated, or simply continue on thru another night to Beaufort/Morehead City... The boat was dropped hard on Oregon Inlet's outer bar during their transit, suffering heavy damage to their keel and rudder, instead... The skipper later admitted it had been a bad mistake, and considered they were lucky to have survived... Those sheeple deserved better advice from their Shepherd for their $1500, seems to me...

In my observation/interaction with offshore rally participants, the primary motivation for plunking down that sort of cash appears to be an effort to assuage the fears of their spouses, and caving into their mistaken belief that there is anything resembling "safety in numbers" during the course of an offshore passage... Simpler to just pay for the Placebo Effect, I suppose, than to acknowledge the simple reality that if you have any real doubts about your ability or confidence to undertake a bluewater passage on your own, well... then you're not ready, PERIOD...

Darrell Nicholson's take on the whole deal is pretty balanced, I think:

Rethinking the Rally Concept - Inside Practical Sailor Blog Article

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.