Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-03-2012

amphibious1 is on a distinguished road
Re: $500.00 Reward for Catamaran under $120k

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarCry View Post
Jack,
I've not seen the Lagoon in person but have heard it is very fairly priced. Could you elaborate on what specifically did not work for you? As Chuckles is alluding to, for the price point and length you are looking for, there isn't much to be had. Have you considered some boat repo websites or hurricane damaged vessels? I also absolutely agree with Chuckles that bang for buck a Gemini is very hard to beat in the cat world. Good luck with your search and post when you purchase something, please. I find the boat hunting process very interesting.

Aloha Farcry

Yes I agree with chuckles but we are going to hold out for a bit longer. As
for the Gemini I have been on them. I also fallowed Slapdash all the way around on theirs. We even meet them on Tortola. That being said they are in the back up line if we cant find something more to are liking. As for the 37 lagoon on Virgin Gorda it simply did not feel right for us.

I only know of one boat repo website national yacht liqadators in FL.
Do you know of any others???

I will surely post are cat on here hopefully very soon.

Last edited by amphibious1; 12-03-2012 at 08:15 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-03-2012

[QUOTE=kwaltersmi;956382]Here's a couple to check out, if you haven't already:

Aloha kwaltersmi

Thank you for your post. I do know of both of these cats. I have seen the Shuttleworth in person on Kauai. It is a beautiful cat with great design and build. It has crossed my mind to inclose the bridge deck to make it more livable. But the water line is short. I really like this cat but it just does not fit.

As for the FP athena I really don't want saildrives

Thank you much
Old 12-05-2012

peterchech is on a distinguished road

uhhh, you aren't willing to compromise on length but you would do a wharram? Have you ever been on a Wharram? I was on a 48' Wharram and it was very little bang for the buck, very little interior space for its length and not very well laid out imho. Plus they are mostly wooden...

It's pretty amazing that gemini's have circumnavigated, though I do remember reading that the owner of the company took one across the atlantic in order to "prove" that it could be done, and it was pretty miserable...

I mean, don't gemini's have the bridgedeck clearance of a pontoon bridge? They are pretty heavy for their size, and I can't imagine them not slamming all day long in any type of short chop... any links to the blog of that person who circumnavigated in one?
Old 12-05-2012

Also, just out of curiosity, 120K can buy one sweet ass monohull, I get the whole multi hull thing and if I had the choice I would take a multi over almost any mono, but for that amount of money you can have a mono with plenty of space, and one that is just as fast as a loaded down cat on a passage... maybe even an aluminum (ie indestructible) one for that amount of money...
Old 12-05-2012

caberg is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterchech View Post
I mean, don't gemini's have the bridgedeck clearance of a pontoon bridge? They are pretty heavy for their size, and I can't imagine them not slamming all day long in any type of short chop... any links to the blog of that person who circumnavigated in one?
The Slapdash | No Fixed Address

I've read most of this blog in bits and pieces, and I do think it confirms some of your observations about the suitability of a gemini for a circumnavigation. Nonetheless, these folks--starting with zero sailing experience--certainly prove that it can be done.
Old 12-10-2012

Aloha all

$500.00 IS STILL UP FOR GRABS!!!

Just a update we are still on the hunt for "the one" catamaran to call are home.
We have one that we really love but it is a little out of are budget so we are trying to negotiate. We don't want to over extend our self's and not have much of a cruising kitty.

So all we want for christmas is a catamaran
Old 12-10-2012

Capnblu is on a distinguished road

May I ask if you are limiting yourself to a catamaran? Are you considering all the different types of vessels for your journey? Perhaps the advantages/disadvantages of the variously equipped and priced boats could be worth it? I ask, because we used to be a catamaran wannabee's, 20 years ago.

I Don't Know! I Don't Know!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-10-2012

gershel is on a distinguished road

If you would consider a PDQ 36, it's much, much more of a quality boat than a Gemini. This one is presently on land for the winter near Phila, PA.
Marc

Old 12-11-2012

what are they asking for that pdq? And why do you think that its a better brand?
Old 12-11-2012

gershel is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterchech View Post
what are they asking for that pdq? And why do you think that its a better brand?
$121,000. This boat is a 1993. If you ever saw a 93 Gemini, the difference in quality of construction would be quite evident, especially the amount of stress cracks compared to a PDQ (none). Also, the PDQ has an 18.5' beam, twin engines, higher bridgedeck clearance, 2 queen size berths, unobstructed helmsmans view, etc. Over-all, no comparison.
Marc

Tags
want to buy reward