Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-11-2012

peterchech is on a distinguished road
Re: $500.00 Reward for Catamaran under $120k

that's about how much student debt I have, should have become a plumber :-)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-11-2012

amphibious1 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterchech View Post
uhhh, you aren't willing to compromise on length but you would do a wharram? Have you ever been on a Wharram? I was on a 48' Wharram and it was very little bang for the buck, very little interior space for its length and not very well laid out imho. Plus they are mostly wooden...

It's pretty amazing that gemini's have circumnavigated, though I do remember reading that the owner of the company took one across the atlantic in order to "prove" that it could be done, and it was pretty miserable...

I mean, don't gemini's have the bridgedeck clearance of a pontoon bridge? They are pretty heavy for their size, and I can't imagine them not slamming all day long in any type of short chop... any links to the blog of that person who circumnavigated in one?
Aloha
Yes in my opinion bridgedeck clearance and beam are to very important characteristics to a catamaran. That is why I would go with the Wharram over some of the smaller production cats.

The couple that did the circumnavigation on a Gemini are called Slapdash.
We meet them in the BVI. Their blog is one of the best on the web very funny. Enjoy reading their blog and videos
jack
Old 12-11-2012

MokaKat is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to MokaKat

Amhpimious1,
There are several catamarans on the 'owner for sale site' that are within your budget. There is a PDQ 32 that they are asking $89,000. I see some nice boats there once in awhile, and you can sign up for alerts. Since they are for sale by owner, there may be more negotiation room, since there is no broker involved. Give it a look, unless you have already discovered it.

http://www.catamaransite.com/catamarans_for_sale.html
Old 12-11-2012

MokaKat is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to MokaKat

I believe that zerotocruising have a PDQ 32 and they have been island hopping for a couple of years now. They have a nice blog Zero To Cruising | Fun-loving couple sailing the Caribbean on their catamaran. I'm not sure what year their boat is, but the one listed for sale on the 'for sale by owner' site is a '95 model.
Old 12-11-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterchech View Post
Also, just out of curiosity, 120K can buy one sweet ass monohull, I get the whole multi hull thing and if I had the choice I would take a multi over almost any mono, but for that amount of money you can have a mono with plenty of space, and one that is just as fast as a loaded down cat on a passage... maybe even an aluminum (ie indestructible) one for that amount of money...

Aloha Peterchech

It all comes down to simple comfort... We have spent lots of time on both for work and pleasure. We think they both have their good and bad. But for comfort at anchor where you will spend about 80+% of your time on a circumnavigation a cat rules.. We have a lot of other reasons but that is the big one.
You are so right we can get a sweet mono for the 120k. It may come down to a mono but that is like plan G. We still have plan A B C D E F all being something with 2 or 3 hulls.

Thanks for your input and please keep a eye out
Old 12-11-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capnblu View Post
May I ask if you are limiting yourself to a catamaran? Are you considering all the different types of vessels for your journey? Perhaps the advantages/disadvantages of the variously equipped and priced boats could be worth it? I ask, because we used to be a catamaran wannabee's, 20 years ago.
Aloha Capnblu

It all comes down to simple comfort... We have spent lots of time on both for work and pleasure. We think they both have their good and bad. But for comfort at anchor where you will spend about 80+% of your time on a circumnavigation a cat rules.. We have a lot of other reasons but that is the big one.
You are so right we can get a sweet mono for the 120k. It may come down to a mono but that is like plan G. We still have plan A B C D E F all being something with 2 or 3 hulls.

We would consider a Tri if we can not find the cat we want. We know we can
find a cat but it may not have the features we want. We have found some that fit close but have saildrives. I have worked with and on saildrives and do not like them. We may need to compromise more and go saildrives but we are not at that point yet..

Thanks for your input and please keep a eye out
Great to hear you have been happy with your cruiser for 20 years..
Old 12-11-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by gershel View Post
$121,000. This boat is a 1993. If you ever saw a 93 Gemini, the difference in quality of construction would be quite evident, especially the amount of stress cracks compared to a PDQ (none). Also, the PDQ has an 18.5' beam, twin engines, higher bridgedeck clearance, 2 queen size berths, unobstructed helmsmans view, etc. Over-all, no comparison.
Marc
Aloha Gershel

Thanks for the info on the PDQ I have looked at one in Texas. I do like them
but they are a bit short on the water line. We really want to stay above 37 to keep the hobby horsing down as much as possible. They are diffidently on the list tho.
I do agree with you they are much more of a boat than a Gemini.

Thanks again please keep a eye out for $500.
Old 12-11-2012

[QUOTE=MokaKat;960115]Amhpimious1,
There are several catamarans on the 'owner for sale site' that are within your budget. There is a PDQ 32 that they are asking $89,000. I see some nice boats there once in awhile, and you can sign up for alerts. Since they are for sale by owner, there may be more negotiation room, since there is no broker involved. Give it a look, unless you have already discovered it.

Aloha Mokakat

Thank you for the heads up on the 32 PDQ. We are really wanting to stay above 37 ft. A 32ft on a open ocean crossing, we feel is very small for us. Not saying it cant be done. Out of the boats we have been out their in we have never looked at each other and said wish we were in a 32ft.

We are fully aware that the 120k is limiting us but it will work out in time.
I do like the catamaran owner site I much prefer dealing with a owner over a broker.

Thank you very much and please keep a eye out in your cruising grounds.
Old 01-21-2013
Senior Pirate

TropicCat is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by amphibious1 View Post
Aloha all

$500.00 IS STILL UP FOR GRABS!!!....
Why don't you just visit Catamarans for sale by owner and buy a boat?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-22-2013

ftldiver is on a distinguished road

TLDR,

PDQ cats are 'maybe' in your price range... but I think you need more $ or less waterline.

Tags
want to buy reward