Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2012

amphibious1 is on a distinguished road
$500.00 Reward for Catamaran under $120k

Aloha All (from Jack & Nicole)

We are new to this forum. We have posted this on another popular forum and got some leads and went and viewed some cats. But still have not found "the one" so we are still shopping. If we have posted in the wrong area please let us know..

We are a younger couple in our 30s looking to make the dream come true on a budget. We have been saving and planning for 6 years. We are now ready to set out on a 5 year down wind circumnavigation. I have been doing scuba instruction and captain work for the past 10 years. I will continue to do this as we do our circumnavigation. Nicole is a flight attendant with a lot of friends that fly for free, so we will also be doing light chartering. Nicole also writes and is working towards her dive master certification.

So this is the part where you come in. We are offering a $500 reward to anyone that leads us to the catamaran we PURCHASE. ( $500.00 payout only once for the cat we PURCHASE not to every lead we get!!!!) We know 120k is on the low end for a cat like we want. The catamaran kitty did not grow as big as we hoped. So we are looking for one great deal on a catamaran. We are hoping that someone out there knows of a cat that we have not yet seen on the web, as we are VERY familiar with the listings on the top ten or so websites.

We don't mind a cat that needs work but the buying price would need to be less than 120K. We would do most the work our selves if possible. A cat that needs re-powering, sails and TLC would be fine.

We are looking for something bigger than 36ft. and less than 45ft.
We realize that the budget may not allow us every feature that we want, but here are the ideal features we are looking for in order of importance: good bridge deck clearance, straight shafts, owners version, galley up and dagger boards. We want a low maintenance simple boat, but not a wooden boat. Again, we know it may be nearly impossible to get every feature we want, but the more features, the better its a compromise. We really like the 39 Privilege, the TPI lagoons and the Admirals.

If you, yourself, have a cat that is worth more than 120k and if you want to see it make a circumnavigation but you don't have the time or money and don't enjoy long passages, we may consider an agreement where the current owner would get some free charter weeks every year. This could be a great opportunity for everyone.

We are not looking to have someone do a web search for us. We have been spending hours a day on all the popular web sites for more than 6 months. We are just offering a little reward if some one sees a cat for sale on their dock or anchorage.

We are cash buyers and can travel just about anywhere today to see the right boat. Please personal message any potential cats.

Well, thanks for reading and we hope to give you the $500 reward soon.
Jack & Nicole

Ps: To the nay sayers, Yes we are 100% serious we will pay by cash, money order, paypal, cookies, or Rum your choice.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-02-2012

Capnblu is on a distinguished road
Re: $500.00 Reward for Catamaran under $120k

Gotta be something for you in the Caribbean somewhere! Just an idea, maybe check with different multihull associations. I used to be a member of BCMS in Vancouver BC. They had a website and links to boats for sale, and members who built their own.

I Don't Know! I Don't Know!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-02-2012

Aloha Capnblu

Thank you for the heads up on that. I have gotten some of the owners site and put the word out. I will give the cat associations a try..

Thank you
jack
Old 12-02-2012
Freedom 39

FarCry is on a distinguished road

This is on the hard at my marina. Maritime Yacht Sales (St. Thomas, Virgin Islands (US))

and this is one that I've heard is a steal
Sail/liveaboard catamaran 37' lagoon 93

Good luck, looking forward to my check!!!!!
Old 12-02-2012

jimrafford is on a distinguished road

I have 2 Maine Coons if that works for you!
Jim
Old 12-02-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarCry View Post
This is on the hard at my marina.

Good luck, looking forward to my check!!!!!

Aloha Farcry
Thank you for the links. We have actually went down to Virgin Gorda and looked at the 37 lagoon. It is not the one for us..
As for the island packet we are wanting to stay above 37ft as it says in the add. But does look like a nice boat....

Thanks for keeping us in mind.
Jack
Old 12-03-2012

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough

Amp,

As a former catamaran owner (2007 Gemini) who has returned to the dark side (monohull), I can definitely say that whatever 37+ foot catamaran you buy for 120k or under will be a clunker and serious fix up type - even the older 1980's boats in that size range go for more than that.
You can sort of see that from the two links Farcry posted.

Since you've been doing the web search for six months or more now you already know that.

Having said that - Gemini's have circumnavigated, as have Jaguar's. You might want to down size the boat footage so you can up size your dream.
Old 12-03-2012
Freedom 39

FarCry is on a distinguished road

Jack,
I've not seen the Lagoon in person but have heard it is very fairly priced. Could you elaborate on what specifically did not work for you? As Chuckles is alluding to, for the price point and length you are looking for, there isn't much to be had. Have you considered some boat repo websites or hurricane damaged vessels? I also absolutely agree with Chuckles that bang for buck a Gemini is very hard to beat in the cat world. Good luck with your search and post when you purchase something, please. I find the boat hunting process very interesting.
Old 12-03-2012
Broad Reachin'

kwaltersmi is on a distinguished road

Here's a couple to check out, if you haven't already:

Shuttleworth 35

FP Athena 38 (Not in your price range yet, but money talks and cash is king...)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-03-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucklesR View Post
Amp,

As a former catamaran owner (2007 Gemini) who has returned to the dark side (monohull), I can definitely say that whatever 37+ foot catamaran you buy for 120k or under will be a clunker and serious fix up type - even the older 1980's boats in that size range go for more than that.
You can sort of see that from the two links Farcry posted.

Since you've been doing the web search for six months or more now you already know that.

Having said that - Gemini's have circumnavigated, as have Jaguar's. You might want to down size the boat footage so you can up size your dream.
Aloha Chuckles

Thank you for your insight and information..
I know I am at the bottom of the price range for a cat above 37ft. But the
truth is good deals do come along especially in these unsure economic times.
We are going to hold out for a bit longer before we start a major compromise
like length. We would probably go with the longer water line wharrans first.

As for down sizing the cat to up size the dream you are spot on. That is one of the most common mistakes people make. I am trying to keep it in balance.

once again thank you..

Tags
want to buy reward