Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree97Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-03-2012

NCC320 is on a distinguished road
Re: An Informed Opinion about the Bounty

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobGallagher View Post
Again, and again, in reading the letter it appears the author has suffered a personal loss. Can't that just be respected?

Myself and another member both posted a copy at nearly the same time, although mine was second I still feel somewhat responsible. It was posted simply so that members who did not have a facebook account could read it.

I'm starting to feel sorry that I got involved.

Call it what you want, but, it's obviously about pain and expression. It's distressing that some of us cannot identify that and let it be.
1) Thank you for posting the item as some of us still don't have Facebook, but are very much interested in the puzzling last voyage of the Bounty. I find the opinions of peers of the Bounty's captain very interesting. As one of those behind the computer screen when it comes to tall ship sailing, I don't understand why that voyage was made into the face of Sandy by an experienced tall ship captain. My take on it was that the writer has lost a friend, and along with sorrow, sometimes comes anger at the event , and even at his friend, that caused the loss, and he was expressing that.

2) Just after the storm, I was in Beaufort, NC. The tallship 74' Brigantine S/V Fritha was docked there. I talked a bit with a crew member who identified himself as the relief captain. He said that he had sailed with the Bounty's captain and that he had several friends that were onboard on the final trip. He spoke highly of the captain, but he too was at a complete loss as to why that voyage wasn't either, never started, or once started, why they didn't see refuge in one of the numerous ports that were available.
RobGallagher likes this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 12-03-2012

NCC320 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal Paradise View Post
Because they thought they were going to make it. .
Actually, the lady (Claudene) that died had real reservations. She called her parents and said good buy, just in case we don't make it, according to a news item that was attributed to her parents.

Also, another news item, attributed to one of her friends, indicated that there had been a discussion between the two regarding the condition of the equipment and her uneasiness at the situation and this particular upcoming voyage.

No doubt the captain, for whatever reasons that he had, thought he would/could make it. And, to me and lots of others, we don't understand why....on the surface it seems to be such a foolish decision. Or maybe a case of macho...i.e. it's nothing major, we can handle it.
Old 12-03-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

I found it telling that a professional mariner with intimate knowledge of Tall Ships and the Captain has essentially the same reaction as most of us amateurs. Thanks for posting.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 12-03-2012

scratchee is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobGallagher View Post
"On facebook, no less" Well, that's how the world communicates nowadays.
I'll bet he could have covered all the major points on Twitter.
Argyle38 likes this.
Old 12-04-2012

caberg is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
Suffice it to say that my relationship to the deceased Captain and his family was more than professional, circumstantial, and more than just his job as the Captain of the sunk Bounty.

It has been very difficult to watch all this knowing him and his loved ones.
Not easy to hold your tongue and anger as others speculated and took pot shots and ruined him.

He was a gentle man who loved the sea, loved the mystery of the tall ships, loved his family and friends and loved seeing the people's faces who he turned on when the got on board his ship or he told the tall tales lots of captains do.
It might be easier to understand where you're coming from if you made clear your relationship to the captain. It appears now you are a close friend of the captain with intimate knowledge of him and you are reacting out of emotion. Before in the other thread you had only "met" him and he only "seemed" professional and knowledgeable, and you were clear that you were not defending him.

Quote:
One thing I have not posted here which I guess I should. Like wingnwing I have been on the Bounty and met the captain. If someone asked me for a judgement of him, and this is a big time snap judgement, he seemed professional, knowledgeable about his ship, a teacher of others and dedicated to his responsibility for the ship and its crew.
Quote:
While you all are trying to respond to me remember I am not defending the captain or his actions.
Old 12-04-2012
Call me Ishmael

blowinstink is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
I found it telling that a professional mariner with intimate knowledge of Tall Ships and the Captain has essentially the same reaction as most of us amateurs. Thanks for posting.
Except the amateurs found appropriate ways of expressing those opinions. I read it again this morning and I am just as disgusted as after my first pass last night. Whatever the substance, I don't know how anyone can defend the manner in which he attacks the deceased Captain of the Bounty.

Last edited by blowinstink; 12-04-2012 at 10:34 AM.
Old 12-04-2012
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road

FYI, The Weather Channel will be broadcasting a special program on the Bounty in a show entitled "Coast Guard HMS Bounty Rescue", Wednesday, December 5th. In the eastern time zone (US) the show will appear from 8:00 pm to 9:00 pm and then again from 11:00PM to 12:00AM. The program includes video from the CG's on scene SAR crews as well as interviews with survivors from the Bounty. It will be worth a watch.
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Old 12-04-2012

PCP will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by blowinstink View Post
Except the amateurs found appropriate ways of expressing those opinions. I read it again this morning and I am just as disgusted as after my first pass last night. Whatever the substance, I don't know how anyone can defend the manner in which he attacks the deceased Captain of the Bounty.
Specially if, as it was stated by the OP, the Captain was a friend of his.

I can easily dispense such a kind of friends

Regards

Paulo
Old 12-04-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
It might be easier to understand where you're coming from if you made clear your relationship to the captain. It appears now you are a close friend of the captain with intimate knowledge of him and you are reacting out of emotion. Before in the other thread you had only "met" him and he only "seemed" professional and knowledgeable, and you were clear that you were not defending him.-caberg

The content of what I say has nothing to do with emotion, thats an assumption which is completely false. My relationship with him and his family has northing to do with that. Unfortunately when you try and say good things about the Captain in the face of the tidal wave of public condemnation you are branded as "defending him". I dont defend his actions and have said that over and over

The tone in which I have been saying it which others have reacted to who know me is whats in question as it is not my usual way of posting. Thats what may be affected by my realtionship with the dead Captain. I reacted in a similar tone as others when I saw others tones which although may be understandable may not have been the correct thing to do according to some. They have taken offense at my tone and have chosen to look only at my posts while making excuses or allowing simimlar tones and indiscretions from others. Where I am at fault is getting into the pit and acting like the others i have criticised instead of standing on the mountain and looking down at them. My realtionship with the family got the best of me. I am only human and could take the denigaration of a kinds mans reputation so much and I know what his family has to and continually is enduring

I beleive my friend Captain Robin Walbridge was wrong from the beginning by sailing into the hurricane. I do not defended his actions or decisions related to that. He paid with his life and cost someone else theirs. Did that warrent the public flogging he has and continues to receive? Maybe. BUut only for his action of leaving I think. IMHO I dont beleive he deserves that and the picking apart of his statements and actions for the years preceeding this incident isnt correct either. He has been made out to be a pariah.

There are others who will be also held responsible for contributing to this incident including the company as well as the lack of liscencing or correct regulatoin. Thats what I beleive the investigation will turn up.

It is those items which are actionable and can be used as lesssons to lesson the chance of this happening again. The Captain deciding to leave...I dont know any way you could prevent that again and I dont know anyway you can determine why as he is dead and you cant ask him. He was a trained captain, years of experience, and made a horrendous decision. History and daily life is riddled with people who have and do that.

Very rarely do the individuals who make mistakes have to endure the public ridicule and questioning that Waldbridge has. I know this may anger my friend Minnie, but when a pilot makes an error which brings down a plane ( an it doesnt have to be a large one) I have not seen this kind of continued personal vicious reaction I have seen here. When a train engikneer crashes a train and kills 8...you dont see this. When a honest truck driver making a living doesnt stop and kills a family on an interste, no one is camping at his house or writing about it from across the sea and the country.

The reaction to this man, this quiet honest nice man is WAY disporportionate to what happened. IMHO Sigh...but is is the sign of how our society has become attacking a dead man and his grieving family and friends to satisfy their own needs to vent no matter what the hubris is.

Again I apoligize for my tone, but I dont apoligize for what I said and beleive.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 12-04-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

See it doesnt take long to prove my point

Quote:
I can easily dispense such a kind of friends-Paulo
I dont find this humorous. Maybe some day someone you are friends with, in your family will make a tragic mistake. Does that mean you will abandon them?

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.