Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree97Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-04-2012
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road
Re: An Informed Opinion about the Bounty

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
Specially if, as it was stated by the OP, the Captain was a friend of his.

I can easily dispense such a kind of friends

Regards

Paulo
There is an old expression/question in response when someone asks a "friend" for an opinion. "Do you want the truth (i.e. my honest opinion) or do you want to stay friends?"

A "true" friend will tell their friend the truth if it is in the friend's best interest even tho' it may be hurtful/disappointing/undesired. Sometimes, the "truth" is hurtful. But. The consequences of untruth, even moreso.

Where there are no adverse consequences, one can argue that leavening the "truth" is acceptable social courtesy ("Why shoot, you don't look a day over 35" )

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 12-04-2012

PCP will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
See it doesnt take long to prove my point

Quote PCP:
I can easily dispense such a kind of friends-Paulo

I dont find this humorous. Maybe some day someone you are friends with, in your family will make a tragic mistake. Does that mean you will abandon them?
I don't understand what you mean. I am referring to the author of the article posted on the Facebook. The author was supposedly a friend of the Bounty's captain and what I am saying is that I don't consider that someone should talk like that about a deceased friend, even if he had made mistakes

Care you to explain what you mean?

Regards

Paulo0

Last edited by PCP; 12-04-2012 at 11:43 AM.
Old 12-04-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by svHyLyte View Post
There is an old expression/question in response when someone asks a "friend" for an opinion. "Do you want the truth (i.e. my honest opinion) or do you want to stay friends?"

A "true" friend will tell their friend the truth if it is in the friend's best interest even tho' it may be hurtful/disappointing/undesired. Sometimes, the "truth" is hurtful. But. The consequences of untruth, even moreso.

Where there are no adverse consequences, one can argue that leavening the "truth" is acceptable social courtesy ("Why shoot, you don't look a day over 35" )

FWIW...
Yes, and I have understood and agreed if he expressed factually is opinion in an official inquiry if the opinion was asked to him, but without solicitation posting on the face book his opinion, that in my opinion is essentially truth, not in a factual way but with pomposity reveals bad taste and in my opinion not a great character.

I maintain that I prefer not having friends like him.

Regards

Paulo
Old 12-04-2012

MarkofSeaLife is on a distinguished road

Quote:

Care you to explain what you mean?

Regards

Paulo0
He means the people closest to a tragedy may look at it with rose colored glasses. Not only does it make acceptance easier but it also shows loyalty.

In some parts of the world it is up to the family to administer the punishment.... A few weeks ago a man was convicted by a court of rape and the father was given an AK47 and told to shoot the son. The father did.
In our countires it's acceptable for the father to always claim the innocence of his children, no matter the evidence.

I think our countries are better

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-04-2012

NCC320 is on a distinguished road

Chef,

Just a couple of thoughts:

1) If you were/are a good friend to the captain of the Bounty and his family, your postings would have carried lots more weight if you had said that up front. Comments from people who were close to the captain carry lots more weight than casual aquaintences or people who didn't know him.

2) To me, when one first indicates that they casually/professionally knew the captain from a visit to the Bounty, then later, when people take issue with you, you say you are a close friend to captain and his family, questions pop up in mind as to credibility since the two posts seem quite different. You took similar positions before the storm when a 16 year old new owner of a boat pleaded for advice on what to do for the storm....you took a position and only later after much posted argument against your position, you said that you were more involved with discussions with the boy's parents. Similarly, when you road out the fringes of Sandy at a pier, you talked about the how revealing that experience was, only after people questioned the wisdom of staying aboard, you described having experience to judge the risk, and talked about other, worse storms. To the casual reader, the question arises, which story is the real one. (Don't take too much issue with the words I've used, as I didn't go back to pull out exact quotes). Just a suggestion, the whole story up front will probably get fewer attacks to the postings.

3) I'm sorry that you lost a close friend. Despite his vast experience and being a nice guy, he, for whatever reason, made the wrong call. I once saw a fatal plane crash where the pilot was a big advocate for safety in the aviation industry....he was also an aerobatic pilot and at a local show, simply ran out of gas too low and in wrong attitude to make a dead stick landing.
Sal Paradise likes this.

Last edited by NCC320; 12-04-2012 at 11:53 AM.
Old 12-04-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife View Post
He means the people closest to a tragedy may look at it with rose colored glasses. Not only does it make acceptance easier but it also shows loyalty.

Yes, but that is what I am saying: I am saying that a friend (the author of that article on the facebook) should not have publicly said those things the way he did about a friend, even if they were basically true. No colored glasses here, except if they were red ones, no loyalty either...and I would say a strange kind of friendship displayed.

Regards

Paulo
MarkofSeaLife likes this.
Old 12-04-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post

Very rarely do the individuals who make mistakes have to endure the public ridicule and questioning that Waldbridge has. I know this may anger my friend Minnie, but when a pilot makes an error which brings down a plane ( an it doesnt have to be a large one) I have not seen this kind of continued personal vicious reaction I have seen here. When a train engikneer crashes a train and kills 8...you dont see this. When a honest truck driver making a living doesnt stop and kills a family on an interste, no one is camping at his house or writing about it from across the sea and the country.

The reaction to this man, this quiet honest nice man is WAY disporportionate to what happened. ..
There are mistakes and mistakes. This is not a mistake but an huge error. I am only a toy airplane captain but I have no doubt that if an airplane commercial professional captain would have convinced the crew of his airplane to fly trough an huge storm that he new already that it was on its path when he took off, instead of enduring it on the ground or flying on the opposite direction (saying that it would be safer to do so) and as if consequence the plane was lost as well as lives you bet that on the sites related with flying the outrage would be as big as it is here and on other naval related sites.

That is not a mistake but an huge error that is not acceptable in any professional captain and that puts in question the professionalism of all sea captains.

Regards

Paulo
Old 12-04-2012
ex-Navy

bloodhunter is on a distinguished road

A question. Was the captain of the Costa Concordia attacked then the same way that Captain Walbridge is now? I really don't know. I was out of the country and did not have good internet access when it happened and didn't feel like reading back over hundreds (thousands?) of posts when I got back. IMHO what he did was far worse than anything Captain Walbridge did, running away and leaving 30 some people to die
Old 12-04-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodhunter View Post
A question. Was the captain of the Costa Concordia attacked then the same way that Captain Walbridge is now? I really don't know. I was out of the country and did not have good internet access when it happened and didn't feel like reading back over hundreds (thousands?) of posts when I got back. IMHO what he did was far worse than anything Captain Walbridge did, running away and leaving 30 some people to die
Oh yes, that and much more. He is waiting for trial and could face more than 2000 years jail time:

Costa Concordia: Calls for 'Captain Coward' Francesco Schettino to face 2,697 years in jail | Mail Online

Costa Concordia captain faces survivors in court | World news | guardian.co.uk
Old 12-04-2012

MarkofSeaLife is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Yes, but that is what I am saying: I am saying that a friend (the author of that article on the facebook) should not have publicly said those things the way he did about a friend, even if they were basically true. No colored glasses here, except if they were red ones, no loyalty either...and I would say a strange kind of friendship displayed.

Regards

Paulo
I absolutely agree with you. That's exactly what I am saying. A true friend would say nothing or, as his wife has done, stand by him. The wife has done it well and correctly and no one would beg to disagree with her.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.