Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree97Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-04-2012

MarkofSeaLife is on a distinguished road
Re: An Informed Opinion about the Bounty

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodhunter View Post
A question. Was the captain of the Costa Concordia attacked then the same way that Captain Walbridge is now?
Yes! First he was attacked by a ballerina and that was BEFORE the grounding!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-04-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
don't understand what you mean. I am referring to the author of the article posted on the Facebook. The author was supposedly a friend of the Bounty's captain and what I am saying is that I don't consider that someone should talk like that about a deceased friend, even if he had made mistakes PCP
I must have misunderstoood you and It got lost in the translation sorry.

I do agree with you, what kind of friend would write that.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 12-04-2012
KNOT KNOWN

Capt.aaron is on a distinguished road

I just saw that the Weather Channel will be doing A "Coast Guard Bounty Rescue" Special. The Trailer showed some interesting footage.
Old 12-04-2012

NCC330,

The realtionship to the Captain is none of yours or anyones elses business. I did not feel necessary as it made no difference in what I wrote or the opinions I had. I only recently reveleaed what I did to explain why I was not myself in tone my posting and why my postings appeared to be hypocritical in TONE with what was my normal way of posting. It was pointed out by a friend of mine here publically and I took it to heart. I now recognize that I have gotten into the same crap I was fighting against and was explaining where that might have come from. No more no less.

Quote:
Just a suggestion, the whole story up front will probably get fewer attacks to the postings
I never felt it was relevant for me to tell you about my friendship with Wallbridge or his family. It had nothing to do with what i posted as no one really wanted to listen or wanted to beleive the type man he was. People had made their mind up and because of the mistake he made a tidal wave of negative opinions and allegations were unleased about his character. All I could hope or say was that we should not rush to judge and let all the facts come out, which I still wholeheartedly beleive. None of this absolves him of the fact he left the safe shore toward an impending storm.

My posting my realtionship would have surely brought riducule as well as the avalanche of negativeism from you and others. I didnt need that just like his famnily and other friends dont. If you notice, very few of his other true friends have spoken out. wonder why? Maybe we all know it makes no difference to others.

Thanks for the suggestion, but forgive me for not listening to you. In the past you have shown to try and find fault with everything I have posted whether here or in other threads. I tend listen to my collegues/ friends ( like Mainesail) who know me...have met me and dont have an agenda like you appear to.

Try and keep your comments on the topics and not direct them toward me in the future.

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 12-04-2012

NCC330,

The realtionship to the Captain is none of yours or anyones elses business. I did not feel necessary as it made no difference in what I wrote or the opinions I had. I only recently reveleaed what I did to explain why I was not myself in tone my posting and why my postings appeared to be hypocritical in TONE with what was my normal way of posting. It was pointed out by a friend of mine here publically and I took it to heart. I now recognize that I have gotten into the same crap I was fighting against and was explaining where that might have come from. No more no less.

Quote:
Just a suggestion, the whole story up front will probably get fewer attacks to the postings
I never felt it was relevant for me to tell you about my friendship with Wallbridge or his family. It had nothing to do with what i posted as no one really wanted to listen or wanted to beleive the type man he was. People had made their mind up and because of the mistake he made a tidal wave of negative opinions and allegations were unleased about his character. All I could hope or say was that we should not rush to judge and let all the facts come out, which I still wholeheartedly beleive. None of this absolves him of the fact he left the safe shore toward an impending storm.

My posting my realtionship would have surely brought riducule as well as the avalanche of negativeism from you and others. I didnt need that just like his famnily and other friends dont. If you notice, very few of his other true friends have spoken out. wonder why? Maybe we all know it makes no difference to others.

Thanks for the suggestion, but forgive me for not listening to you. In the past you have shown to try and find fault with everything I have posted whether here or in other threads. I tend listen to my collegues/ friends ( like Mainesail) who knows me and has met me and even PCP who I agrue with but respect) as they dont have an agenda like you appear to.

Try and keep your comments on the topics and not direct them toward me personally by couching them as your "lessons of life:" and what to do and I will do the same for you. Your opinion doesnt have any validity to me and it appears mine doesnt for you. See I already know you do not have my best interests at heart. So lets just agree to give everyone else a rest and not have to listen to this childish personal advice chatter.

Dave

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

Old 12-04-2012
formerly posting as eryka

wingNwing is on a distinguished road

I've stayed away from these Bounty threads because, frankly, there's no new information here. There's insight (both good and bad) into some Sailnet posters, but frankly, the whole thing is becoming tiresome. I'm with Paulo that the actions of the author of that lengthy inappropriate diatribe are not those of someone I'd be proud to call "friend."

And obnoxious as it was, the letter was still an opinion. BTW, here are some actual, you know, *facts* about what occurred with the generators: A Legendary Ship's Final Hours Battling Sandy - ABC News

I hate to post and run, but I'm back to pretty much ignoring these Bounty threads.
msmith10 likes this.

Cinderella, CSY 33, Photo by Joe McCary

Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable. - Sidney J. Harris

Shameless self-promotion - my blog for the Annapolis Capital newspaper:
still has some glitches to be worked out. Until then, I'm posting at:
and
! And a new project:
Old 12-04-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by blowinstink View Post
Except the amateurs found appropriate ways of expressing those opinions. I read it again this morning and I am just as disgusted as after my first pass last night. Whatever the substance, I don't know how anyone can defend the manner in which he attacks the deceased Captain of the Bounty.
I am sure that Jan was intending to publish a perspective that might draw public opinion away from Tall Ship operators in general and keep the focus on how stupid Bounty/Wallbridge was.

He may have a point. If a good friend of mine did something that was going to potentially threaten my ability to provide for my family by their incredibly stupid actions, I may defend my living as well. I, among others, have suggested seriously clamping down on some Tall Ship regulations, but it reminds me that most rules are written in blood, when most don't need the rule to stay safe.

Hard to know. Hope I never find out.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 12-04-2012

caberg is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
I never felt it was relevant for me to tell you about my friendship with Wallbridge or his family.
I don't buy it. Why would you go out of your way in the other Bounty thread to represent him as only someone you "met" one time, and if you had to make a "snap judgment" on him, he "seemed" like a decent guy.

Why not just say he was a friend, if indeed that is the truth?
Old 12-04-2012

Quote:
already stated

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

Old 12-04-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
NCC330,

The realtionship to the Captain is none of yours or anyones elses business......
That is your prerogative, Chef. I don't need to know.

However, you introduced it, you weren't called out to give insight as a result of anyone knowing of your relationship.

To put your ability to size up Walbridge in context, you may simply indicate how many different occasions you met with the Capt and his family. I'm sure I don't really know anyone unless I've seen them in dozens of circumstances and people surprise me everyday.

Ignore this, as you see fit.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.