Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree97Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2012

casey1999 is on a distinguished road
Re: An Informed Opinion about the Bounty

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockDAWG View Post
Oh geez, we are still talking about Bounty even there is no new finding from the accident. Are you folks still doing sailing any more? If you don't sail and have a lot of time in your hand, go to do some volunteering work. It is good for your soul and those less than you.
What are you doing here?
How do you know what volunteer work we do or how much we sail?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-05-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Oh geez, we are still talking about Bounty even there is no new finding from the accident. Are you folks still doing sailing any more? If you don't sail and have a lot of time in your hand, go to do some volunteering work. It is good for your soul and those less than you.

If you think Wallberg made a horrible mistake, learn from it. If you think he did a great job sailing Bounty during Sandy, go to sail like him. It is your decision, I dont think anyone care. Why the hell we need to force our ideas into others head.

Make no sense, especially we are sailors we can bend and adapt better the others.
Rock, how much time did you spend on this post and for what purpose?

It's hard to imagine anyone actually walking past a conversation at a bar and telling the participants they are wasting their time and should be doing something else. They usually just keep on walking. Internet is a funny place.

However, if my boat were in the water, I would indeed have less time on my hands.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 12-05-2012

JulieMor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Are you folks still doing sailing any more?
It's December, too cold to sail, too warm for ice fishing.
Old 12-05-2012

PCP will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieMor View Post
.. I was talking about how selfish it had been of her to see just how fast that new snowmobile she just bought would go. Her widowed husband looked at me, then understood. His eyes said, yes, it was foolish and very selfish.....
It is not fast machines (if properly designed) that are dangerous but people that ride them without knowing what they are doing. A fast machine can be driven slowly if the conditions don't make speed safe or if the rider is an inexperienced one. This is true for snowmobiles, motorbikes, cars, airplanes and boats.

Regards

Paulo
JulieMor likes this.
Old 12-05-2012

GeorgeB is on a distinguished road

Hate to come across as a touchy-feely Californian, but, have any of you guys heard of the Kübler-Ross model? You know, the five stages of grief? Denial, anger, bargaining, depression and acceptance?
CalebD likes this.
Old 12-05-2012

casey1999 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal Paradise View Post
That's harsh. There is a lot more I could say, but if I was the husband I would have asked you not very nicely to get the hell out.

I seem to remember you posting about sailing lost in the fog. How selfish of YOU. Imagine a freighter had run you down in the fog and someone said that to your mom or your husband. Sorry, but it was so selfish of her to be out there. Ouch. Ouch.

Your friend was living in the moment, taking a risk and and accident happened. For that I am sorry. But its the nature of an adventurer to take risks. We try to minimize the risk but we accept it because we feel, it makes life more beautiful, more meaningful. I salute brave people who sail on ships. I admire Claudene Christian for the life she chose.She could have stayed home but she wanted her life to have this meaning.

What Walbridge did was inexcusable, but I think your comment doesn't apply. I just wanted to say that.
It should be ok for the living to be mad at the dead, we after all are just human, and we all grieve differently, and that is ok. I know plenty of friends whom were very mad when one of our friends went out and did somthing risky and got themselves killed. Yea they were just living for the moment. I like to do risky things to, I often single hand in 30 knots of wind in the middle of the pacific, and I am always saying to myself: "hey, be careful, a wife and two young kids are depending on you."

I am sure if I get myself killed while sailing single handed, my wife will be very pissed at me, and probably for good reason.
JulieMor likes this.

Last edited by casey1999; 12-05-2012 at 05:20 PM.
Old 12-05-2012

MarkofSeaLife is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeB View Post
Hate to come across as a touchy-feely Californian, but, have any of you guys heard of the Kübler-Ross model? You know, the five stages of grief? Denial, anger, bargaining, depression and acceptance?
Acceptance? Of the insurance money? and that makes it all better?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-05-2012

GeorgeB is on a distinguished road

You really need to read Kübler-Ross. The acceptance is the acceptance of the fact that Wallbridge and Christian are dead and the grievers are able to move on with thier lives. Again, not to be so touchy-feely, but reading all these messages, I'm thing few, if any have been able to progress all the way to stage five. I can't quite figure out where you fit in the stages as you move back and forth a lot (regression isn't good mental health). But I suspect that you have move past stage five and now are just "pulling my leg" or "tweaking my nose" or whatever the Aussie idiom is.

I am still wondering about the more arcaine business aspects of this are. Who actually owned the HMS Bounty II? was it Walbridge? Insurance is a different can of worms. I know of at least two two master mariner boats in San Francisco where thier insurance is void if they are damaged in winds over 25kts. As far a movie props went, it did a lot of ocean sailing in fifty years before she was done in by a hurricane.
Old 12-05-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeB View Post
You really need to read Kübler-Ross.....
Only applicable to those that actually had a personal relationship with the Capt and, in those cases, I think its very accurate.

For the rest, including me, I'm upset that he killed someone else and could have killed the rest. While I have deep sympathy for Walbridge's family's loss and I would not have wished his fate on him, I'm not mourning either.
JulieMor likes this.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 12-05-2012

JulieMor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal Paradise View Post
That's harsh. There is a lot more I could say, but if I was the husband I would have asked you not very nicely to get the hell out.

I seem to remember you posting about sailing lost in the fog. How selfish of YOU. Imagine a freighter had run you down in the fog and someone said that to your mom or your husband. Sorry, but it was so selfish of her to be out there. Ouch. Ouch.

Your friend was living in the moment, taking a risk and and accident happened. For that I am sorry. But its the nature of an adventurer to take risks.
When you judge others you do not define them, you define yourself.

If you care to know ALL the facts, I'll gladly share them with you. You might judge differently.