SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Explorers to Retrace Shackleton's Epic Antarctic Journey

2K views 19 replies 12 participants last post by  smackdaddy 
#1 ·
Why????

#2 ·
Do you have a link or reference?

Shackelton's story is, IMO one of the most inspirational examples of maritime heroics of all time.

Reactions: SloopJonB
#7 ·
Do you have a link or reference?

Shackelton's story is, IMO one of the most inspirational examples of heroics of all time.
Fixed it for you. ;)

His open boat voyage make's Bligh's voyage after the mutiny look like a yachting expedition.

#8 ·
I am from the camp that completely understands the human element of exploration and why we put men on the moon, not just robots.

But when there is no more exploratory value to be had, I find it less admirable to take what I read was a 50/50 risk with human life. I'm all for an adventure, just for the sake of it, but the odds need to be much better than that.

Must just be me. Good luck them anyway.

#9 ·
......But when there is no more exploratory value to be had, I find it less admirable to take what I read was a 50/50 risk with human life. ......Good luck them anyway.
They are taking a safety net; they'll be shadowed by another vessel the Australus, IIRC...

#11 ·
"Jarvis, who is also an environmental scientist, hopes to use the trip to bring awareness to the impact of climate change."

This explains the why, its not so much about Shackleton's journey as it is about the
global warming narrative.
So they are going to be followed by a carbon belching, whale crushing, seal disturbing
bird scaring ship just in case they need to have their a$$es saved from the effects of mother nature.

#19 ·
Ok Smackdaddy where are you???? This is the biggest sail ever!!! I would not try it. I hate the cold... What a bad crowd in the first few pages so true! Go pull you boats up on the hard> you do not even need to be tied to the dock. Oh and the carbon belching rescue boat is for body recovery to far away to be any help. I was going to start this thread but I see it is already up. Crazy man last time three Irish men went to try this capsized three times in 28 or so min and made the wize choice they were not up for it. Warm Regards,Lou

#20 ·
Okay, so I found the thread. Honestly, it doesn't look too rough and tumble to me. Just people giving their opinions.

So these guys are going to sail a crappy old boat through a really, really cold place like old Shacks did. Cool.

Call me when it's done. If they pull it off I'll definitely send them a BFS skully.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.