Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-04-2012

hunttr is on a distinguished road
custom mattress

Hello all,I'm wondering if anyone has done any buissness with COMFORT CUSTOM MATTRESS and MARINE BEDDING located in Ft Lauderdale.I'm looking to have a latex mattress made for a v birth.I know Handcraft Mattress is very popular but I need to shave off a few bucks and hopefully still get what I'm looking for.Thanks for any replys,
Brian
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-04-2012

miatapaul is on a distinguished road
Re: custom mattress

Personally I would just order the foam and cut it myself. Latex is not that hard to cut, but the foam is expensive and fairly hard to find. Then get material and take it to a local seamstress to have covers made. Most of the larger fabric shops will have bulletin boards with names of seamstresses. You should be able do this much cheaper and it will have upholstery fabric on it instead of some mattress covers.
Old 12-04-2012
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough

One of the advantages of a professionally made mattress will be the tufting. This lets the thing breathe and makes a huge difference in comfort, particularly in hot weather. If you do go down the DIY path make sure you get the very best mattress topper you can find.

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett
Old 12-04-2012

hunttr is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the replies.I've looked at doing it myself and don't think the extra effort saves all that much doe.The folks that do this all the time have got it down and know the best fabrics to use and where to use it.The company that I mensioned above Comfort Custom Mattress does it all and is cheaper then HCM when you factor in free shipping,no extra charge for 2 or 3 peices for a v birth instead of 1 and the mattress itself is a little cheaper.I believe HCM does fine work and is not unreasonable with their prices but what I am looking for may be out of my price range.I did a google search for Comfort Custom Mattress and pretty much came up empty.I'm not really looking to taking a shot in the dark.Thanks again
Brian
Old 12-04-2012
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough

Brian, part of this is determined by your use. Unless you are sleeping on board on a very regular basis you are going over the top with a whiz bang custom jobbie. Obviously you realise this. Otoh, you need something better than a basic slab of foam and CCM appear to be a whole lot better than that.

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett