SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Price for O'Day sails and new cushions?

5K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  RCC23 
#1 ·
Not sure if its the right place, mods move if not.

I have two sets of items from a totaled boat and have no idea of an asking price. Wondered if anyone could help.

They are both from an 1981 O'Day 28

First is a full set of sails: main, jib, genoa, spinnaker. The genoa is furling and has several 5" tears in it.

Second is a full set of new cushions (foam and covers) in blue, for both inside out outside (in cockpit).

Any ideas?

#8 ·
Meh... no-one is helping me price them :)
Barrie,
Used sails are not so easy to price, especially sails with rips in them. That said the pics of the main sail look pretty good. Does the main sail have standard battens or full battens, how many reef points, weight of sail cloth, Cunningham cringle?
A good new main sail for a 28' boat would cost ~ $2K, a new jib ~ $1.5K. If you want to see how used sails for a 28' O'Day are priced check out Bacon's web page and look up the O 28. You will likely see prices from $300 - $1000+ per sail: Bacon Sails & Marine Supplies
If you want to sell them quick you should not be asking top dollar. Offer the set of sails to Denise for $1K or less.

The cushions will not be a perfect fit except in another O 28 most likely. They look to be in pretty good shape though. I'd offer them for a couple hundred and hope for the best.

#7 ·
Thirty year old cushions and sails? No offense but, free is a good starting point. You could go as far as “best offer”. I doubt that they are worth more than that. Most people are looking for something better than what they already got when thinking about replacing. Speaking of which, anybody want a ten year old dodger (you supply the frame), sail and wheel cover that fits a Catalina 34? You pay the shipping!

#9 ·
Thanks Caleb!

Thirty year old cushions and sails? No offense but, free is a good starting point.
Er, the sails are about 10 years old and the cushions and covers are 3 :)

#10 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.