SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Cruising the Bahamas

1K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Capt.aaron 
#1 ·
I am interested in possibly cruising the Bahamas for a winter, but am unsure how I would fair with a sailboat that has a 7' draft? Would there be too many places I could not go or be constantly moving based on the tides? Would like some feed back by some experienced Bahamas cruisers. Also, has hurricane Sandy had any detrimental effect on depths in certain areas?

#2 ·
7' is pretty deep for the Bahamas. There are some places you will not be able to go, some anchorages you will not be able to use.

On the other hand, it's not like you can't go anywhere. You will just have to be careful, and a little more aware of the water depth and the tides than someone with a shallower draft.

Haven't been there since Sandy, so I can't comment on that.

#3 ·
Earlier this year I saw some of the biggest super yachts in the world in the Exumahs. One was 280 feet! 87 meters! And a draft of 13 feet/4 meters. if you have a look on your chart from Georgetown and up north inside the fringing cays you will find there's plenty of depth, then from about Highborne Cay head due west till Toungue of the Ocean then up to Nassau.

If you have AIS you can track the super yachts and the local supply ships that run inside. And follow the magenta line :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.