Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2013

Coquina is on a distinguished road
Re: Need Input on Insurance Companies

BOATUS was wonderful with the only claim I have had with them. Apparently Sandy was a HUGE loss to them and rates are going up
A few more Sandy type storms and boat insurance won't exist
BOATUS has SALVAGE coverage equal to hull coverage. Make SURE you have that or a salvage award might leave you with nothing left to fix the boat. If your insurance has no idea what salvage and environmental claims even are, let alone have coverage limits for them, you are dealing with a runabout on a lake company

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Coquina; 01-11-2013 at 12:12 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-11-2013

Captainmeme is on a distinguished road

For an on going evaluation of insurance service you might want to query
Matt & Jessica. They ran agound on Nov 29th, got hauled in St Augustine and posted
on Jan 7th the insurance company will be sending a check for repairs.
Matt & Jessica's Sailing Page | Experiencing the world while it's still large is their blog. Last insurance company on their cost page is Markel.

Also there is a women up in Puget sound whose sailboat was hit by a power boat, twice as I recall. She took to the internet to get a settlement out of, wait for it,...
BoatUS. Here is her blog, Courtney Kirchoff | a novelist
Old 01-11-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Boat US....Continental

We were side struck by lightning ($12,000) this last summer in Annapolis. Claim went through quickly and full resolution professionally. Was easy to get a hold of 5 minutues after the incident occured. The called Tow Boats US and had the boat pulled immediately...no charge with polict as they wanted it done . Adjuster came one day later and worked details out with the marine elctrician who had worked on many Boat US claims. Work started immediately an claim paid out in less tha 2 weeks. I wouldnt switch just to save a few dollars as customer service was excellent with them. We go offshore to New England for 3-4 weeks every summer. I call them up and they put a rider on my policy which costs $26 for every two week period.

Dave

Dave

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 01-11-2013
Puget Sound Pounder

kellysails is on a distinguished road

I have had a great experience with the CHUBB group. Comprehensive plan and good rates. I really shopped it hard and had some good referrals.
Old 01-14-2013
GennyWinch

dsullyec1 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to dsullyec1

We're having problems getting insured because we are new at it, and because the boat we're trying to buy is a 1983 model. We've been turned down several times already, and if we can't get insured, we won't be able to get the loan to pay for the boat. We don't want to lie about our experience, but is there any other way for us to be accepted, other than lying? Any suggestions?

years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”
Mark Twain
Old 01-14-2013
formerly posting as eryka

wingNwing is on a distinguished road

dsullyec1 - we've had some amazing service from these guys: IMIS Home Page ~ International Marine Insurance Services Because they're brokers, not representatives of one particular company, they have access to many different policies and have a better chance of being able to match you up with one. Our agent there is "Heather" and she's excellent.
dsullyec1 likes this.

Cinderella, CSY 33, Photo by Joe McCary

Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable. - Sidney J. Harris

Shameless self-promotion - my blog for the Annapolis Capital newspaper:
still has some glitches to be worked out. Until then, I'm posting at:
and
! And a new project:
Old 01-14-2013
GennyWinch

We'll check it out. Our broker in Kemah wasn't with a particular company, either, and the agency he found that orginally said they'd take us, backed out because of 1. our lack of experience, and 2. the age of the boat. The broker gave us the name of another person to call at a different brokerage...we'll see how that goes. If it doesn't go, we'll try the link you gave us and ask for Heather. Thanks!!! We'll let you know.

years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”
Mark Twain
Old 01-14-2013
formerly posting as eryka

wingNwing is on a distinguished road

If you use Heather tell her we sent you. Admittedly, we had some experience when we first started, but we also had an older boat. Heather "gets" liveaboards. Big plus.
dsullyec1 likes this.

Cinderella, CSY 33, Photo by Joe McCary

Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable. - Sidney J. Harris

Shameless self-promotion - my blog for the Annapolis Capital newspaper:
still has some glitches to be worked out. Until then, I'm posting at:
and
! And a new project:
Old 01-14-2013

Coquina is on a distinguished road

My boat is 10 years older
OTOH I have been sailing since 1970 or so, so no experience worries there. Commonly when buying an airplane that the insurer feels is beyond the ability of the owner, the insurance company will require a flight instructor be aboard for the first X hours flying the new plane. A true marine insurance company should be willing to work with you on a training plan. It could involve hiring a captain for X hours of lessons or taking a course at a local sailing school or ????

EDIT: How insurance worked way back in the day - We called and asked for a rider for Bermuda. When the company started wanting this and that done, we asked if they could hear the radio static on the call. They could. We told them we were already on the way and would be out of range very soon. We got coverage for something like $50

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsullyec1 View Post
We're having problems getting insured because we are new at it, and because the boat we're trying to buy is a 1983 model. We've been turned down several times already, and if we can't get insured, we won't be able to get the loan to pay for the boat. We don't want to lie about our experience, but is there any other way for us to be accepted, other than lying? Any suggestions?
wingNwing likes this.

Last edited by Coquina; 01-14-2013 at 01:35 PM.
Old 01-14-2013
GennyWinch

That's a real plus that Heather understands "aboard living". Paul had experience on Chesapeake Bay when he was younger, and a little in the Galveston Bay, but not a ton. I have no experience at all. We'll see how this new place goes.

Mark Twain