Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-06-2012

jmczzz is on a distinguished road
? Greenwich 24 on built cradle on flatbed?

I need to move an Allied Greenwich 24 from Florida to Arkansas. I have an 18 ft tandem axle trailer. Can I build a cradle out of lumber (I found plans for a 25 Cape Dory cradle) and put boat in the cradle on my trailer for the move without causing major accident or legal problems? It is about 1100 miles mostly flat along the coastal plain until I get to the last 90 miles in the Ozark foothills.
Is this an insane idea or possible? I really need to get the boat home to repair soft spots in the deck.
Boat is 3800 lbs, 24.25 LOA. 17.42 LWL. the keel is 3/4 , draft is 3 feet.
Any and all input would be appreciated.
jmczzz
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-06-2012
Aspiring to be a Mexican

sww914 is on a distinguished road
Re: ? Greenwich 24 on built cradle on flatbed?

The cradle should be fine if it fits well and the boat is well secured. I'd try to locate the cradle at main bulkheads. What's the load rating on the trailer?
jmczzz likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-06-2012

deltaten is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to deltaten

zzzz:
Man! I *know* those last 90 miles! Ya think the Whitewater is enuff water ta float 'er? LOL
Good on ya for bringing back a classic. I looked into one or two of them. NOt quite enuff room ta suit me; but wow! what a shapely lass she is.

Best,
Paul
jmczzz likes this.
Old 12-06-2012

5000 + lbs rating on trailer. Plans are laid out to match CD 25 but If not exactly a match for the Greenwich bulkheads I can adjust. the plans call for 3 cut out type keel supports. I would use straps / ratchet type hold downs. thanks for the input.
Old 12-06-2012

I've filled my freezer with those stocked rainbows and now want to get ready for some gulf sailing next summer. thanks
Old 12-07-2012

tommays will become famous soon enough

A used or new steel cradle like a JOWI is going to give the boat a much better chance of living through the trip as it will be hard enough without worring about a wood cradle

The BIG issue is the air draft of the boat on the flatbead trailer as my 4.5 draft boat JUST clears stuff with the keel 12" off the ground
jmczzz likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
Old 12-07-2012

Smier is on a distinguished road

Can it be done? Anything can be done, the better question is are you capable of doing it right? I'm not saying that to insult you either, but in the last 17 years of driving professionally, I've seen too many wrecks, people killed, or people hurt. I had a coworker roll a loaded tractor trailer down an embankment after being cut off by a car. I said "had" because he's spent the last 12 years in a wheel chair and walker... Lecture over, let's move on!
As far as legality, too many unknowns in your scenario. I used to pull oversized loads for a living. You have a 3600 pound boat, plus trailer tare weight, plus cradle, plus your gear... What's the tow vehicle? Nothing worse than tearing up a transmission. What's the deck height of the flatbed trailer? Can you keep the boat under the legal height limits? What's the beam width of the boat? How much overhang will you have off the rear of the trailer? These are what will determine the legality. The limits vary state to state, and the state dictates your route of travel if you are an oversized load. The states may tell you that you are not able to travel the route you want to... Let's also not forget that legality also depends on whose writing the ticket.
Can it be done without damaging the boat? I would over engineer the cradle and bolt it to the trailer. I've seen wooden cradles slide on the trailer deck with 20+ tons sitting in them. Without having plans for the cradle in front of us, or knowing what equipment you will be using, it's impossible to say if you will be doing it legally or safely. Remember that straps fail... Ratchets break, and I've seen straps sliced in half if not used correctly. You're not going to find the straps you need at harbor freight or tractor supply. Does your trailer even have proper tie downs to strap or chain things correctly? Some trailer frames are so flimsy that you will literally bend the frame or rip out the tie down point trying to get things secured properly.
The cradle: I would build a shipping cradle differently than a cradle designed to just hold the boat up in your back yard. The stress on the cradle is much different in motion, and my biggest fear would be watching a boat skid down the highway in traffic after a cradle failure... Or, having some nitwit pull out in front of you, you have to brake hard, and have it come thru the back window of your tow vehicle! In my opinion, wood may not be the right choice. Remember, a square board will roll on a trailer if the object it's holding up has enough inertia!

Can you buy, rent, or borrow a proper boat trailer for the trip? My 22 footer that weighs almost 2800 lbs empty rides on a single axle boat trailer rated at 3500 lbs from the factory, and could easily be modified to support a slightly longer and taller boat.
Also have you priced having it shipped? You may find it cheaper in the long run when you add up all the expenses. Plus the aggravation involved, I have had some miserable loads, that 5 miles into the trip you realize the damn things moving on the trailer... Then you realize the tighter you strap/chain something the worse it gets! I've damaged loads while securing them to a trailer. The last wrecker/crane we hired started at $450.00 PLUS their time, mileage, and materials. It gets expensive quickly when things go wrong. Just some things to consider! I just had another thought, let's say you can build the cradle and meet every legal requirement. You load the boat, secure it properly to the trailer, go to pull out of the yard, and the whole thing wants to lean over hard because the trailer just wasn't designed for hauling something with a high center of gravity? What if, to fit the boat on the trailer, the weight distribution is so off on the trailer that you can't get on the highway because you get a bad case of "death wobble" at speed? It' be one thing if you were going 5 miles, but 1100 miles? Like I said earlier, too many unknowns...
jmczzz likes this.

Last edited by Smier; 12-07-2012 at 01:09 PM.
Old 12-07-2012
Superior Sailor

Squidd is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Can it be done? Anything can be done, the better question is are you capable of doing it right?
That really is the question...

I built this "cradle" in Wisconsin before driveing out to Washington DC to pick up a boat sight unseen and drag it back to Wisconsin...

However I did do some homework, got some measurements off side view plans and did a little "calculated guesswork" based on "experiance" hauling large loads to set up trailer balance point for a one shot, worked out perfect cross country deal...

If your confident, competent and prepared... go for it...

Total height 10'6" with a 2'6" shoal draft keel...

jmczzz likes this.

Last edited by Squidd; 12-07-2012 at 01:09 PM.
Old 12-07-2012

Smier is on a distinguished road

Nice pic squidd! Looks like you towed it with a 1500 series Silverado? I guess I won't fret so much about using my Silverado as a tow vehicle for my boats! Do you have any other pictures of the cradle etc? Would you do it again? What would you do differently?
Old 12-07-2012
Superior Sailor

Squidd is on a distinguished road

The thing with the wood cradle/ flatbed is you still need a crane to load you up...

I brought it home and then had the boat hull profile to build a "proper" bunk trailer... Had a crane move it to new "home"...

One that I can store and launch at the marina by myself...

jmczzz likes this.