Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2012

blissfull is on a distinguished road
methods of recovering a morgan 25 1967

I have taken ownership of a 1967 morgan 25 with an interesting hitch. The boat is on its starboard side in a sideyard pointed downhill on slight incline(3/12) under cable lines(moveable) and a power line about 7 feet above the hatch but directly above the cockpit.
A tree company will lift the boat with a crane after it is out from under the power line so Either dragging with a strong mooring bolt and tow straps wrapping around the stern; both attached to a truck and as many hands as possible pushing. My concerns with are with the pressure points(mooring bolt, deck edge) and will they distribute evenly enough not to harm the boat.
Or
Two 2x12x12 beams cut to the concave of the two lowest accessible points fore and aft allowing room for a jack and blocks on both sides. Some padding on the cut and jack it high enough for a flat trailer to pull under. I like this method but i would like to make these beams one time with the boat upright for future ease on and off a trailer.
Will righting the boat by strapping perpendicular to a blocked keel, attaching to a truck, and pulling until level and secured with jackstands create too much pressure on the decking edge bolts and glass?
Any experience or thoughts would be greatly appreciated!
Drew
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-07-2012
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough
Re: methods of recovering a morgan 25 1967

Source a half dozen long wooden rollers, such as 8' sections of telephone poles, you might try some working boat yard. Jack uo the bow of the boat and slide several rollers rollers underneath, perpendicular to the intended direction travel. jack up the stern, repeat the process. Push hard in the intended direction of travel, recycling the rollers.

Take a look at videos of ship launchings.
Old 12-07-2012
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road

If you can get a hefty pickup, maybe a one ton or better, load it up so it has traction, I'd bet it'll drag the boat if you can get something slippery under it. Thick old carpeting might work. Be careful having anyone around a strap that might let go. Do it without "pushers" in the way of a snapping strap/rope. The roller idea is a good one as well, although you might want to try to pad them too with some old carpet. If there is a local guy with a pc. of equipment like a small dozer or a large hoe, it might be worth paying him to drag it out.
Old 12-07-2012

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough

Unless it is in impeccable condition this is a possible hole in the water that you will throw money at.
Old 12-07-2012

Wayne25 is on a distinguished road

Get some inflatable rollers
http://www.praktek.com/
Jack boat to slide them underneath. Use sling around the whole boat so you don't pull an eye out. Pull with tractor or dozer. Keep people away from straps when under load. As the rollers come out the back, put them up front again.
oysterman23 likes this.
1976 #552

Last edited by Wayne25; 12-07-2012 at 04:55 PM.
Old 12-07-2012

Southron Spirit is on a distinguished road

i just saw on discovery channel where some guys moved a log cabin several miles using logs as rollers .
i have moved a 6'x14' shed across my property using 2" pvc rollers and a pick up truck to drag it . you could use a hose to connected to pvc tube to wash out the ground enough to slide the rollers under .

check with a farm supply store for round fence posts as rollers
i would get a couple of nylon tow straps and anchor it in place so it cant slide down hill while you get it on the rollers .. have you inspected the down side for damage from the inside ?
Old 12-07-2012

Lake Superior Sailor is on a distinguished road

With air rollers you could move it by yourself!..Dale
Where God got it done!
Old 12-07-2012

50merc is on a distinguished road

I would jack the boat up and lay down plywood underneath it. I would use butcher block wax/soap on the wood. The boat should slide fairly easily. Plywood would hold up better then thin luan board. Just lay out a few sheets ahead of it and hop scotch the sheets so you wont need as many. You will be surprised how the wax helps it slide. As for harnessing to it. You need to pull from multiple points A good quality 3/4'' rope should work. I would wrap aound the keel and all the cleats to one pulling point. The boat only weighs a couple of tons a decent truck or tow truck with a winch will work as a pulling power.
oysterman23 likes this.
Old 12-09-2012
S/V Wyndwitch - Morgan 24

oysterman23 is on a distinguished road

I keep thinking the plywood and slide with full straps will work nicely However if the grass and underlying soil are even textured without significant rocks I'd wet down the area just under her to lubricate the initial slide and not be too concerned about plywood.....which after all could create as much damage as ordinary turf. Have you checked the hull out well already? Check under the starboard quarter bunks and the forward bulkheads where they meet the bilge. Also above that where the chain plates are attached. If she's had water sittin in her for any time you likely have some work to do. Its a great boat, I have a 67/8 and love it dearly....all it takes is love and money!
Old 12-09-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Pay the power company to come in and move the lines out of the way temporarily - it's done all the time when movers have huge loads, like houses - they take the lines down and put them back when the load has passed.

Then the crane can pick the boat up with slings and roll it upright. The whole thing should only take an hour or two.

Moving it Egyptian style works but it will be almost certain to cause damage to one extent or another.

P.S. the latest issue of GOB has a story about a restoration of that boat.
blissfull likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken, opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.