SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Just Dreaming Out Loud

2K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  Faster 
#1 ·
What I wouldn't give for a Friendship 40, and a 3 month babysitter, so my wife and I could cruise the east coast for a summer.

I guess the much anticipated Alerion 41 would do... ;)

I'll settle for working on my beautiful Ericson 27 and catching a few sailing hours here and there for a couple more years. No complaints, Just dreaming out loud.

I wonder what others sailing dream looks like. please share!

#3 · (Edited)
Achieving goals is something I do quite well.

I have a great family, live at the beach, sail one or twice a week on an awesome boat, work in a stable industry for an honest, local, and lucrative business. I even have a impressive beard.

But lets face it sailing without dreaming is like dairy-free creamer.

#6 ·
I'm just not sure why you would leave the kids behind and I think you would be more comfortable on a true cruiser, not a glorified day-sailor.

This subject has come up a hundred times and for me it is always an Outbound 52.
More closer to reality is a Benny 473.

#7 ·
Ahh! Dreams..the stuff ...uh.. dreams.. are made of :D
While lazing about on my little dink, lo, those many years ago; I dreamt of sitting in the 'pit of my own cruiser, just taking in the sights and sounds. Some sailing tunes on the box and a hand on the tiller; but still quite close to the adult beverage of choice for the day. Mind in neutral and watching the sunset over the water.

Nothin' finer!

And come this next season, it won't be a dream anymore:D

#8 · (Edited)
Sailor the truth is, I would miss my kids and end up wishing for a boat that accommodates living aboard better. I guess I could round up to the friendship 53 and the kids can come, after the missus and I get a week to ourselves!

I day that Outboard 52 would fit you perfect.... in fact, it might fit the Von Trapps. What a beautiful well arranged boat!

#9 ·
40 years ago I remember seeing a boat on the dock and thinking "that would be a dream come true".. it was a Columbia 26 - the thirty footer beside it was lottery territory.

Dreams and circumstances can change... now we've been up to 40 feet, heading back down with 35.

My current dream boat would be more along the lines of a Salona 35/37 - no need for anything bigger.

And I'd take the kids for sure, except they have their own boat now.. chasing their own dreams....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.