Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-28-2012
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough
Re: BVI chart/nav app

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Thanks. We're not going until Feb.

So far, my fav is the iSailor app. I'm thinking of springing for iNavX.

I'm not really worried about GPS nav capability, as much as redundant chart display and a planning tool. But things like ETA are nice to have.
I keep forgetting that my son bought us an iPad, and got us the wireless version just to get the built-in GPS. (We don't use the wireless capability - just WiFi and occasional tethering to my Android phone if we need mobile connectivity.)

The reason I keep forgetting is my wife uses it so much I don't get much chance to try it out.

So I'm going to spend a little time looking into iNavx, iSailor, and Navionics. However, they're of little interest to me on my own boat until they're upgraded to accept NMEA sentences via Bluetooth. I want real-time AIS targets on my chartplotter display like I have on my Netbook - anything less is a downgrade. But for a charter, one of these apps might do the trick if they're not too costly.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-28-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
......one of these apps might do the trick if they're not too costly.
So far, I've not spent more than about $25 for an app and its charts. I really like Charts and Tides, as it integrates the Active Captain database offline, for reviews, phone numbers, etc.

The iPad is not the perfect charplotter, but what an incredibly superior backup to a standalone GPS. Not to mention all else it can do aboard, from email to rented movies to Internet access.

Ironically, I needed it as a GPS backup on the very first passage I had it along. The internal compass for my charplotter went bad, while I was tucked way inside an unmarked cove in Maine. Very glad I had it along.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 12-28-2012

gtod25 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
...and almost useless unless you have a Garmin chartplotter with WiFi networking capabilities. I was disappointed to see that this is not a freestanding chart plotter app that uses the internal GPS, but merely a repeater that takes the GPS coordinates though WiFi from a Garmin chartplotter.

I'll download the free app and see if it can make a wireless link with my Oregon 400c (which is touted as being capable of wireless sharing), but I'm not willing to buy the Garmin WiFi adapter to run the experiment. Leave it to Garmin to require a dongle add-on to override the iPad's built-in WiFi capability.
That's interesting as I have just used it on two separate boat trips on the East coast and West coast of Florida where it tracked perfectly using the internal GPS on an iPad 2. It does not appear to provide a "go to" routing system like standalone plotters but it is perfectly acceptable for casual use. The interface with Active Captain is excellent.

Still what do I know, annoyed opinion always trumps experience.

Old 12-28-2012
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I keep forgetting that my son bought us an iPad, and got us the wireless version just to get the built-in GPS. ...
Wow. You really aren't into gadgets, are you? How do you forget that you have an iPad?

I just downloaded onto mine some of the apps mentioned in this thread. I keep getting a message saying "There are no charts to download. Try again later." on the Garmin app.

Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 12-28-2012

gtod25 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRFerron View Post
Wow. You really aren't into gadgets, are you? How do you forget that you have an iPad?

I just downloaded onto mine some of the apps mentioned in this thread. I keep getting a message saying "There are no charts to download. Try again later." on the Garmin app.
Hi Donna

Saw this as well. I downloaded all my charts a few weeks ago and it worked flawlessly. Give Garmin a day of so to wake up their server.

Gerry

Old 12-28-2012
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtod25 View Post
Hi Donna

Saw this as well. I downloaded all my charts a few weeks ago and it worked flawlessly. Give Garmin a day of so to wake up their server.

Gerry
Thanks Gerry. Will do. Garmin isn't off to a good start here with me. All of the others had charts readily available.

Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 12-28-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtod25 View Post
That's interesting as I have just used it on two separate boat trips on the East coast and West coast of Florida where it tracked perfectly using the internal GPS on an iPad 2. It does not appear to provide a "go to" routing system like standalone plotters but it is perfectly acceptable for casual use. The interface with Active Captain is excellent.

Still what do I know, annoyed opinion always trumps experience.
Sorry, I couldn't tell from your post that you had actually purchased and used the Garmin software. My (incorrect) conclusion that it did not use the internal GPS was based on disappointed reviews in the App Store that claimed it didn't use the internal GPS. Also, this statement on Garmin's site seemed to agree:

Quote:
Once underway, the Garmin Marine Wi-Fi Adapter will allow your iPad to be used to “follow the boat” along its route by wirelessly sharing the GPS location from the Garmin marine network.
But your actual experience is much more valuable to me than any of this. I don't need "go to" routing. As long as I can plot a course and see where my boat is relative to that course, I'll have more than I need. (In my busy home waters I also want AIS targets on the chart.)

1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
Old 12-28-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRFerron View Post
The issue is gadget overload, not gadget phobia. In the last 2 weeks, we've added 2 new Windows 8 PCs, a new Windows 7 laptop from work, and two Nexus 4 Android phones, 2 new gigabit ethernet switches and a gigabit wireless access point. Of course, my whole family wants this stuff to "just work," so as the de facto IT guy I've been up to my ears in configuring everything. This has been a challenge because all the old computers were XP, so there's a lot of new stuff for me to learn.

That, plus my wife's domination of "our" iPad, and I haven't had any chance to even think of using it, and it's therefore easily forgotten.

Last edited by TakeFive; 12-28-2012 at 07:52 PM.
Old 12-28-2012

fallard is on a distinguished road

Getting back to GPS tracks overlaid on paper charts: You need to know how position is indexed on your paper charts (the "datum"). All of the GPS units I've used are indexed by default to WGS 84 datum, although I had at least one device that would allow you to reset to use other datums.

My Imray-Iolare Virgin Islands chart was "corrected" as of 2000, but it was not on WGS 84. Rather, if you read the "fine print" on the chart, you needed to adjust your GPS position by 0.12 minutes North and 0.01 minutes West. Basically you need to know that your GPS latitude offset is 246 ft, whereas the longitude offset is small enough to ignore. Actually, there aren't many areas where the 246 ft offset matters--maybe on the approach to the Salt Pond Bay moorings on St. John.
Old 12-28-2012

Quote:
Like many assumptions, it is a little off the mark. It wasn't actually a purse (I was trying to keep my wording simple) - it was her canvas beach bag that held hats, sunscreen, snorkels, etc., and was sitting in the cockpit the whole time. The GPS signal was perfectly fine - 8 or more satellites at all times. This GPS is extremely sensitive, and even gets a reliable signal in the middle of my house. I have no reason to doubt the reliability of the tracks.

Even if the track was a little off, it was exactly the same track on all three examples that I showed above, which means that the disagreement between the three charts can only be attributed to the charts. If you look at the track from the whole day trip, where we passed close by Cooper, Norman, Peter Islands, etc., it is clear that the NGA chart was significantly more accurate. The Garmin and NOAA charts showed us going over ground on numerous occasions, and the NGA chart agreed completely with our DR positions.

I believe that NGA makes the intelligence maps that guide our Navy vessels and cruise missiles, so I'm betting on them to have the best chart.
I'm not sure why I didn't think of this last night, but by overlaying my track onto Google Earth I can provide conclusive proof that the track is accurate and that the NGA chart's representation of the shoreline is by far the best of the three (Garmin, NOAA, NGA):