Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Re: BVI chart/nav app

For those worried about getting their Ipad wet, these are very inexpensive and you retain fully capabilities of the Ipad touch screen. It doesn't even seem to know it is inside the thing.

There is even a lanyard, if you want to hang it around your neck, but I think its better for securing it to the cockpit table. I have one of these:

Amazon.com: New Version TrendyDigital WaterGuard Waterproof Case, Waterproof Cover for Apple iPad, iPad 2 and New iPad (iPad 3), Blue: Computers & Accessories Amazon.com: New Version TrendyDigital WaterGuard Waterproof Case, Waterproof Cover for Apple iPad, iPad 2 and New iPad (iPad 3), Blue: Computers & Accessories

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-14-2013

Robes is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
OK, I finally pried the iPad from my wife's clenched fingers. Here area few questions for those of you who may have used it in BVI:
  • there's the concern about accuracy in BVI, as I illustrated with my Oregon above. Does anyone have experience with Garmin's US coastal accuracy in the BVI region for these downloadable charts? Is the $45 North America coverage any more accurate in BVI?

The whole chart accuracy thing is a real issue for me, given the discrepancies that I demonstrated above. So any help you guys can provide would be greatly appreciated.
From Fallaed: "For the peanut gallery:

The Garmin BlueChart for the US is fantastic in the Oregon or similar Garmin handheld chartplotter range (higher resolution/pixel count than the lower end Garmins, but you pay for that, of course.) However the US coverage extends to the BVI, but without the same resolution as in the continental US.

The BlueChart for the Southeast Caribbean fixes that. It provides detail in the Virgins that is comparable to that of the US chip in the continental US. Once again, you pay for that."

I'm confused, I'm headed for BVI 1st of April & looking to buy a 78SC (loaded with HUSO39R,U.S. Coastal BlueChart g2).Garmins website shows the coastal maps extending to BVI- but your saying this is actually wrong or that, specifically the detail is lost just in the BVI on this g2 map?
Also, I don't see any North American BlueChart g2 offered, let alone for $45, where is this coming from? I see the Bluechart HUSO30R SE Caribbean offered for a small $160 fee.

So, I found a 78SC (pre loaded u.s.coastal) for $349 and the SE Caribbean BlueChart g2 used for $46. If the coastal actually don't cover BVI, think this is my option?
Any problem buying a used microSD? Need any codes? can I update it?

Thanks for any info on this-
Robes
Old 01-14-2013
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robes View Post
From Fallaed: "For the peanut gallery:

The Garmin BlueChart for the US is fantastic in the Oregon or similar Garmin handheld chartplotter range (higher resolution/pixel count than the lower end Garmins, but you pay for that, of course.) However the US coverage extends to the BVI, but without the same resolution as in the continental US.

The BlueChart for the Southeast Caribbean fixes that. It provides detail in the Virgins that is comparable to that of the US chip in the continental US. Once again, you pay for that."

I'm confused, I'm headed for BVI 1st of April & looking to buy a 78SC (loaded with HUSO39R,U.S. Coastal BlueChart g2).Garmins website shows the coastal maps extending to BVI- but your saying this is actually wrong or that, specifically the detail is lost just in the BVI on this g2 map?
Also, I don't see any North American BlueChart g2 offered, let alone for $45, where is this coming from? I see the Bluechart HUSO30R SE Caribbean offered for a small $160 fee.

So, I found a 78SC (pre loaded u.s.coastal) for $349 and the SE Caribbean BlueChart g2 used for $46. If the coastal actually don't cover BVI, think this is my option?
Any problem buying a used microSD? Need any codes? can I update it?

Thanks for any info on this-
Robes
There are multiple Garmin products that you are referencing.

My comment about the $45 North America chart was referring to the Garmin product that I downloaded into the Garmin's Bluechart software for the iPad. If you already have an iPad available, that's a pretty good price for all of North America!

Fallaed's comment was referring to Garmin's microSD card for the SE Caribbean, which appears to be the same product you are considering purchasing used for $46.

My Oregon 400c came pre-loaded with US coastal charts. Although it displays charts for USVI and BVI, I discovered in prior visits to USVI that they (and NOAA's chart #25641) are very inaccurate in that region, and may cause you to run aground. I suspect that the pre-loaded US Coastal charts in the 78SC will suffer the same flaw. So you really should purchase the SE Caribbean card, which in my experience (last week, and comparing tracks from prior trips) is very accurate.

I think I saw the same $46 card you did on Amazon marketplace and got cold feet because some buyers' comments questioned the authenticity of some of the seller's products. Although the cards are $160 direct from Garmin, I believe that I also saw the new cards direct from Amazon (not a markeplace seller) for $100. That may be a fair price for a product that Amazon guarantees to be genuine.

Garmin uses a very clever encryption method that will prevent you (or an unscrupulous seller on ebay or Amazon marketplace) from successfully using a copied product. The real danger is that you might not get any warning that it's not genuine - your GPS might just show the embedded chart without warning.

In my case I was leaving in less than a week and did not have time to experiment with a $46 card that might not be genuine. If you're not leaving until April, you might have time to give it a try. If so, please let us know, since I might want to buy the same $46 card for myself if it is genuine.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Old 01-14-2013

Thanks for the reply TakeFive-

Well, I'm not too sure what to do here. I'm new to the GPS and all the electronic nav software/hardware & accessories. I have only used paper charts to date in the Chesapeake Bay. It's mind blowing all the devises, software etc to try and sift through it all. I thought I had come to the best decision, the 78SC until I learned the preloaded maps for the BVI are not to par with the remaining chart.

I plan to buy a boat in the next couple years and want something that can be used as backup on that, hate to make a poor choice here. Also, my wife has the new iPad but I don't use it (she lives in it!), I don't see it as being a fitting devise to use in the cockpit, I did look into some aspects of it but always seem to think the 78 series is a safer better choice for now....

Anyway, I don't know enough about all this let alone test the Amazon Caribbean SD card myself, I would have to leave that to someone else. I reviewed the sellers feedback and can't honestly find a single comment not praising the cards. Although, I assume they can't be updated if they are indeed copies, then again they say they are the most current version.

What is your opinion:
I go with the preloaded 78SC map, I also have the Imray-IoIaire A23 chart for USVI & St. Croix "Eastern Caribbean" includes BVI & Anagada. I also have the BVIPirate.com Anagada Approach chart which is excellent from what I read & hear. I have passage granted to Anagada by Conch Charters.

I'm tempted to think I have enough nav aids, need to use the eyes and brain too. Yet, I'm very tempted to buy the Amazon SE Caribbean card for the price but maybe safest to use the preloaded coastal charts for now?.....

Thanks again for any comments suggestions
Robes
Old 01-14-2013

Before I give you a recommendation, do you have a smartphone? There may be some other smartphone options that could get you going for very little money, especially on an Android phone.

1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
Old 01-14-2013

Quote:
Before I give you a recommendation, do you have a smartphone? There may be some other smartphone options that could get you going for very little money, especially on an Android phone.
Yes, my wife & I each have an iPhone 5. But, from what I've read it seems the problem there is the expense of using the phone in that location as well as area of connectivity. I read at least 1 horror story of a person coming back from BVI to find an astronomical phone bill which at the time he had no idea how he was being charged. ?
Old 01-14-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robes View Post
Yes, my wife & I each have an iPhone 5. But, from what I've read it seems the problem there is the expense of using the phone in that location as well as area of connectivity. I read at least 1 horror story of a person coming back from BVI to find an astronomical phone bill which at the time he had no idea how he was being charged. ?
The Garmin iPhone/iPad apps can all save charts and ActiveCaptain data locally, so you can use them offline with no mobile data access. Just be sure to turn off the appropriate settings on your device to prevent roaming charges - or just remove the SIM chip. However, you would need to pay for the charts for the Garmin app.

There are other free/almost free options for Android (Marine Navigator app with free RNC charts), but since you don't have that it's not available to you.

I like the touchpad Garmin devices (Oregon and similar) a lot better than the 76/78 series. That's my personal opinion.

I suggest that you download the free Garmin Bluechart app into both your iPhone and iPad, then download the free ActiveCaptain data. If you like what you see, your most economical option would be to buy the $45 North America charts, and find a way to waterproof your device for use in the cockpit. $45 is pretty reasonable for a handheld/tablet GPS with full North American coverage.

If you have your heart set on the Garmin 78, you might consider buying the plain 78 version without embedded charts for $210 less than the 78SC, and adding regional chips as you need them. The nice thing about the Garmin devices is that you can plot routes on a large-screen computer (using OpenCPN, PolarNavy, MapTech, etc.) and easily transfer the routes and tracks between the computer and the device. That fits the way I work, but YMMV.
hallucination likes this.

Old 01-14-2013

Thanks TakeFive-

I will try those downloads for the iPhone & iPad, but don't I need a gps devise? Can I set waypoints and chart courses without some handheld marine gps?

It seems you do what I thought I'd do, plot things out ahead of time on my iMac and load to the gps(78). So, does the gps system in the iPhone (guess there is one in the iPad too) do what a handheld will do? sensitive enough, WAAS?

Guess I'm under the impression that the phone/iPad can't work alone or you can make changes en route. Time to do those downloads and see what it's all about, thanks-
Robes
Old 01-28-2013

Quote:
...The 400c has charts already built in for the Caribbean, but they are very inaccurate (I'll demonstrate this below). I've debated buying a microSD upgrade from Garmin, but I have no idea whether it's any more accurate than what I already have. The inaccuracy is far worse than could be accounted for by the 3-year age of their chart. Why would Garmin intentionally put a grossly inaccurate survey into this device if they had better charts to provide on the chip? It just does not make sense, and as a result I'm not gonna buy a chip to find out. (I've heard that Garmin are absolute bast@%&$ about refunds.)

Here's how I did an informal test of the chart accuracy in the BVI:

Last December we went down for a land-based vacation on St. John USVI, and chartered boats a couple of days. One day we had a 23' powercat to go over to the Baths in BVI. Due to large swell and heavy chop, the captain hugged the coastline for much of the trip. We kept the Oregon 400c in my wife's purse to capture the track the whole day. His shoreline-hugging course gave me an outstanding opportunity to test the accuracy of the GPS and its embedded charts. I found many instances where the recorded track showed us significantly inland, and others where stopping points at shore were significantly off the shore.

For example, upon entering English waters, we had to check in at Jost Van Dyke's Great Harbour. I have exported this track to different charts to get an idea of the accuracy of the underlying charts.

First, the Oregon's embedded chart was off by almost a half nautical mile! The government dock where we stopped is about where the "D" in "Dyke" is located on the Oregon's chart, but you can see that our stopping point below is about 0.5 nm away from that point:

I exported this track and overlaid it on NOAA chart #25641, a 1:100,000 representation of the area (soundings in fathoms). Obviously the scale is not conducive to great accuracy, and I have overzoomed the chart for my screenshot. But you can see here that in this chart, the chart's government dock is located about 0.2 nm to the northwest of where we actually stopped:

...Finally, I found much more modern (but still somewhat dated) NGA charts (soundings in meters), which NOAA allows you to browse free of charge but does not make available for download. Here is a screen shot or our track overlaid on NGA #25609, which appears to be much more accurate based on our stopping point and shore-hugging track:

This chart's survey was done in 1986, so it's much more recent, though still old enough to be cause of some caution...
Quote:
I'm not sure why I didn't think of this last night, but by overlaying my track onto Google Earth I can provide conclusive proof that the track is accurate and that the NGA chart's representation of the shoreline is by far the best of the three (Garmin, NOAA, NGA):

I forgot to update this thread after returning from BVI, but while there I made constant use of the 400c handheld with a borrowed Garmin chip for the Eastern Carribean. It was spot on - equal in accuracy to the NGA charts. Here's the example track shown above, but laid over top of the chart from the Garmin chip:

The good agreement between the NGA chart and the Garmin add-on card make the two a great combination. I plotted routes on my computer using the NGA chart, and transferred them to the 400c for use in the cockpit.

Old 02-08-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

I've unwittingly downloaded a ridiculous collection of iPad nav apps, based on all the references above.

From my living room, it looks like Garmin has the edge so far. I will report back, as I can.

Flights look on time so far this morning, we leave in an hour. Hoping to get out ahead of this storm. Cheers!!

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.