Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2013

seaojoe is on a distinguished road
Re: BVI chart/nav app

good luck and please let us know the outcome.
smilin for ya!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-08-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Delayed at connection. Ugh.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 02-08-2013

capecodda is on a distinguished road

Navionics Caribbean. Last trip in the BVI's it worked fine on both iPad and iPhone.

Wish I was going there right now rather than sitting out snowmaggeddon.
Old 02-08-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Made it. Aboard right now. No idea what is going on in New England and don't tell me.
DRFerron likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 02-17-2013

Nav App wrap up..... (I will start another thread on the trip itself, we are currently in St Thomas waiting for our flight home today)

I downloaded Garmin Bluechart, iSailor, Imray and iNautical. Some are only charts with no nav abilities.

The clear winner was Garmin. Showed us in our correct slip prior departure and was very accurate along the way. However, it did show us over the shoal at the entrance to Nanny Cay, despite being well within the channel markers. If we corrected to avoid what it thought was the shoal, we would still have been fine.

I didn't really need or want sophisticated nav ability, but it is nice to quickly determine distance to destination and I found tapping a route on the screen to take a second or two. Once I had the distance, I would immediately delete the route to get the clutter off the screen. I used the Ipad in its waterproof case only once. As it turned out, for just getting distances, it was perfectly useful on my iPhone, which I just kept in my pocket. It was a bit nerve wracking that I might fumble it and watch it go overboard, but thankfully it didn't happen.

I also wanted an app with the Active Captain database, but found the reviews and postings for BVI to be fairly limited. When I get a chance, I'm going to add several of my own.

Jeanneau 54DS

Old 02-19-2013

Robes is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the update Minnewaska.
I just purchased the Garmin BluChart g2 HXUS030R SE Caribbean for my new Oregon 450 GPS. Also bringing my Imray A23, A233(A231 & A232 back to back) and my BVIPirate.com Anagada Approach Chart. I have the Garmin HomePort marine planning software too, so i should be more then ready for my early April trip.

Let us know on this thread where you start your new thread.....
Old 02-19-2013
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robes View Post
Thanks for the update Minnewaska.
I just purchased the Garmin BluChart g2 HXUS030R SE Caribbean for my new Oregon 450 GPS....I have the Garmin HomePort marine planning software too, so i should be more then ready for my early April trip.
I currently have Garmin's obsolete MapSource software, and am considering getting HomePort. Can HomePort display the charts off your BlueChart SD card? (MapSource cannot.) That would be a huge plus for the HomePort software if it could.

If so (and Garmin's website claims it can do this), how it it done? Do you have to pull the microSD card out of the Oregon and put it into a reader on your computer? Or can you hook the Oregon to your computer by a USB cable instead?

IIRC, MapSource is supposed to be able to do this too, but apparently it only works for BlueChart cards in full chartplotters, not in handhelds like the Oregon. So I'm curious whether the HomePort software has this same flaw, or whether it actually works with handhelds.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)

Last edited by TakeFive; 02-19-2013 at 09:33 AM.
Old 02-19-2013

fallard is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Nav App wrap up.....
It was a bit nerve wracking that I might fumble it and watch it go overboard, but thankfully it didn't happen.
Robes' Oregon 450 is waterproof, but I bet it will sink like a rock if it goes overboard (I've got one.) I was comfortable parking mine in a drink holder, but TakeFive suggested a handlebar clamp that Garmin offers if you are concerned about losing it. If your charter boat has one of these open transoms, you might consider a clamp or tether as cheap insurance.
Old 02-19-2013
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallard View Post
Robes' Oregon 450 is waterproof, but I bet it will sink like a rock if it goes overboard (I've got one.) I was comfortable parking mine in a drink holder, but TakeFive suggested a handlebar clamp that Garmin offers if you are concerned about losing it. If your charter boat has one of these open transoms, you might consider a clamp or tether as cheap insurance.
The handlebar mount can be found for $8-10 and is cheap insurance that puts the handheld in clear view. A drink holder might work like Frank mentioned, but you just won't know that until you get down there.

Believe it or not, my Oregon became my primary nav device at the helm during my BVI charter. The boat had a big Raymarine chartplotter, but I had no way to transfer routes or waypoints into it from my computer. I turned the boat's chartplotter on and set it to "course up" mode and keep the "own ship" icon in the middle of the screen, and from that point on I merely used it to get a broad view of the area. Any critical decisions about where to change course or cut between islands was done by following the purple line on the Oregon (using routes that I had pre-planned on my computer using OpenCPN and the NGA charts that I had calibrated for use with OpenCPN).

Based on Robes' comment about HomePort, I looked up some detailed specs for the software, as well as user support messages, and it looks like even though the Oregon is not listed on Garmin's webpage as a compatible device, a recent software update allows HomePort to pull the preloaded charts out of my Oregon 400c. Since I therefore already have the charts to make it work, I sprung the $27 for the software from Amazon. I'm looking forward to trying it out.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Old 02-19-2013

Robes is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
I currently have Garmin's obsolete MapSource software, and am considering getting HomePort. Can HomePort display the charts off your BlueChart SD card? (MapSource cannot.) That would be a huge plus for the HomePort software if it could.

If so (and Garmin's website claims it can do this), how it it done? Do you have to pull the microSD card out of the Oregon and put it into a reader on your computer? Or can you hook the Oregon to your computer by a USB cable instead?
Hello TakeFive. Sorry, but I'm not able to help you with those questions yet. I just got the batteries charged for the Oregon and don't believe I'll be able to load the new software etc. for another week to play with it, got to finish some remodeling first but will get back-