Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-19-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Re: BVI chart/nav app

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robes View Post
... Let us know on this thread where you start your new thread.....
Here you go.

BVI recap

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-19-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallard View Post
.....I was comfortable parking mine in a drink holder......
Can you believe the Bavaria 36 had no cup holders of any kind. I laughed at myself that I found that difficult, but I did !!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 02-20-2013
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
...Based on Robes' comment about HomePort, I looked up some detailed specs for the software, as well as user support messages, and it looks like even though the Oregon is not listed on Garmin's webpage as a compatible device, a recent software update allows HomePort to pull the preloaded charts out of my Oregon 400c. Since I therefore already have the charts to make it work, I sprung the $27 for the software from Amazon. I'm looking forward to trying it out.
The HomePort software arrived tonight. I spent some time trying it out. I'm not sure it will ever replace OpenCPN as my favorite software to plan routes (since I prefer seeing NOAA charts on my computer screen), it has some definitely useful features as well as some of those odd quirks that remind you that it's Garmin software. The best feature is to be able to see the exact same Garmin cartography that you have on your chartplotter/handheld GPS on your computer screen. It did pull the charts through USB off my Oregon 400c, which took a LONG time. When I disconnect the Oregon the charts disappear, but upon reconnecting the Oregon they reappear instantaneously, so clearly the software is caching the images locally and using the required hardware connection as "copy protection."

I'll post some more detailed comments when I get a chance, including some comments on how you can run the software at home without bringing the handheld/chartplotter home from your boat.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Old 02-20-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
The HomePort software arrived tonight. I spent some time trying it out. I'm not sure it will ever replace OpenCPN as my favorite software to plan routes (since I prefer seeing NOAA charts on my computer screen), it has some definitely useful features as well as some of those odd quirks that remind you that it's Garmin software. The best feature is to be able to see the exact same Garmin cartography that you have on your chartplotter/handheld GPS on your computer screen. It did pull the charts through USB off my Oregon 400c, which took a LONG time. When I disconnect the Oregon the charts disappear, but upon reconnecting the Oregon they reappear instantaneously, so clearly the software is caching the images locally and using the required hardware connection as "copy protection."

I'll post some more detailed comments when I get a chance, including some comments on how you can run the software at home without bringing the handheld/chartplotter home from your boat.
Is there some advantage to the Open CPN technology or way of doing things vs say and I pad and an E7 chatrtplotter.

I am totally ignorant about what you guys are talking about. Should I be looking into this or is this something to do if you dont have a chartplotter

Can you help educate me.

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 02-21-2013

fallard is on a distinguished road

The typical dinghy on charters is a hard bottom inflatable, which weighs about 150 lbs. Add a 2-stroke, 8 hp motor and gas and you are pushing 250 lbs. You'd need a winch to haul this aboard and then you'd risk cosmetic damage to the foredeck.

It isn't worth the hassle and, besides, you aren't sailing that far. Best advice is to relax and tow it.
Old 02-21-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
Is there some advantage to the Open CPN technology or way of doing things vs say and I pad and an E7 chatrtplotter......
I've tried OpenCPN and found it very cumbersome. In my experience, it seems to be more attractive to technically interested users. You can play with all sorts of techie things. I assume there is some satisfaction in getting to work. I'm in the point and shoot crowd and highly prefer the Ipad apps. OpenCPN is free, of course.

Jeanneau 54DS

Old 02-21-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
Is there some advantage to the Open CPN technology or way of doing things vs say and I pad and an E7 chatrtplotter.

I am totally ignorant about what you guys are talking about. Should I be looking into this or is this something to do if you dont have a chartplotter

Can you help educate me.
Dave,

For a guy like you who has been sailing for 40+ years, you probably have all the routes you need already in your E7 and don't need to do anything more. You might not even need routes because of your wealth of local knowledge.

For those of us who are still going places for the first time, and who may have to deal with significant tidal currents, computer planning tools can be useful. Just as Raymarine software is useful for moving routes and tracks back and forth between a computer and Raymarine chartplotter, Garmin software is useful for doing that with Garmin devices.

OpenCPN is very compatible with Garmin devices (less so with Raymarine). I hear these complaints about it being cumbersome, and I just don't get it. Judging by posts to the OpenCPN forum on CruisersForum, many of the complaints are from people who can't seem to figure out how to get the charts to load (not sure if this applies to Minniewaska, or if he had a different complaint). If you go in knowing that you're going to have a folder that contains all your (freely downloadable) NOAA charts, and that you're going to have to tell the program (whether it's OpenCPN, SeaClear, or something else) where those charts are located, then the concept is very simple - especially since you only need to do this once when you first set up the program. In fact, it's a good thing, because you can have one folder that has all your updated charts, and multiple programs (OpenCPN, SeaClear, PolarNavy, etc.) accessing the same charts. It actually makes maintenance and updating of the charts easier.

I find the OpenCPN user interface to be very simple and intuitive. Others may not. But it has amazing capabilities for a free program, and I can use the best, most up to date charts all the time by simply downloading them from the NOAA website.

I've tried a couple of paid programs before, and I found them to be more cumbersome than OpenCPN. They may have some greater capabilities than OpenCPN, but it comes at the cost of greater complexity, and some of them require you to buy their proprietary charts.

YMMV

Also, I have the Garmin Bluechart app on the iPad, and although it has some potential, it can only send/receive routes to Garmin chartplotters via the Garmin network device. Since I don't have a Garmin chartplotter (just the Oregon handheld GPS), this is a pretty severe limitation. For me, the iPad app can only work as a standalone device, and I don't really want the iPad to be in the cockpit with me at this point. Maybe someday I'll change my mind.

1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)

Last edited by TakeFive; 02-21-2013 at 10:14 AM.
Old 02-21-2013

Setting up the chart download was one of the things that was cumbersome. I got it done, but it wasn't a snap. I had to read some tips and instructions, as it didn't just work the first time. The second was getting the GPS dongle that I added to my tablet computer to interface. I may have given up on that. It been a while. I bought the iPad in the spring of 2011 and never looked back. I was actually a very reluctant iPad purchaser, but felt it was a better back up than a standalone GPS. I was immediately blown away by the functionality and ease of use.

iPad apps like Charts and Tides and the Garmin app just work out the box or actually prompt you for chart input. Didn't have to figure a single thing out. For $25-$50, I would rather have the hour or two of my life back.

I occasionally set up a route on my charplotter, mostly if there is a danger side of the route and I want to be able to glance at my relative position. More often, I just drop a destination waypoint on the fly to calc my remaining distance for some mental arrival math.

In the aircraft, we always load a flight plan and follow it to the letter. No choice. It seems much less an issue when tacking and jibing take you off the route anyway. Since I don't often set them up at all, interfacing isn't a consideration for me.

Jeanneau 54DS

Old 02-22-2013

I had only a few minutes last night to try things out again. I actually spent most of the time using Garmin's iPad app to try to remember why I did not really get to like it when we were in BVI. I already mentioned that the routes and tracks can't be shared with any other devices unless you buy one of the Garmin chartplotters and their Garmin Network device. But I was also very unhappy with the poor accuracy of using a finger to plot routes. Their waypoint circle icons were way too big and were the width of the whole Delaware River! If I zoom in enough to see whether the waypoint is in the channel or on shore , then I can't see enough length of the river to do much of a route.

Obviously most of my plotting is going to be in more open waters, but I used this as an example of the problems with the program. I just prefer to use a mouse to plot routes because it is much more precise (down to the pixel) and using OpenCPN (or even HomePort) it is very easy to adjust the location of a waypoint if you're not happy with where you clicked.

If I had not purchased a Garmin Oregon 400c three years ago, I might be tempted to use the iPad instead (although the Oregon is fully waterproof, a big advantage in the cockpit). The Oregon is even worse than iPad for plotting routes because of its small screen and low resolution of tapping with your finger (same problem as iPad). But I don't even try to create routes on the Oregon - I just create routes on my computer and transfer them to the Oregon. Unfortunately that option is not possible with the iPad using the Garmin software. Maybe it is possible with other programs.

I can understand the attractiveness of using the iPad's touch features, and its intuitive ease of use. I just want the greater precision of using a mouse to create routes. Hopefully some better software will appear on Android tablets, since they give you the choice of tapping with your finger or plugging a mouse into the USB port. There you can have the best of both worlds. (Very dumb of Apple to leave a USB port off their iPads.)

Old 02-22-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Dave,

For a guy like you who has been sailing for 40+ years, you probably have all the routes you need already in your E7 and don't need to do anything more. You might not even need routes because of your wealth of local knowledge.

For those of us who are still going places for the first time, and who may have to deal with significant tidal currents, computer planning tools can be useful. Just as Raymarine software is useful for moving routes and tracks back and forth between a computer and Raymarine chartplotter, Garmin software is useful for doing that with Garmin devices.

OpenCPN is very compatible with Garmin devices (less so with Raymarine). I hear these complaints about it being cumbersome, and I just don't get it. Judging by posts to the OpenCPN forum on CruisersForum, many of the complaints are from people who can't seem to figure out how to get the charts to load (not sure if this applies to Minniewaska, or if he had a different complaint). If you go in knowing that you're going to have a folder that contains all your (freely downloadable) NOAA charts, and that you're going to have to tell the program (whether it's OpenCPN, SeaClear, or something else) where those charts are located, then the concept is very simple - especially since you only need to do this once when you first set up the program. In fact, it's a good thing, because you can have one folder that has all your updated charts, and multiple programs (OpenCPN, SeaClear, PolarNavy, etc.) accessing the same charts. It actually makes maintenance and updating of the charts easier.

I find the OpenCPN user interface to be very simple and intuitive. Others may not. But it has amazing capabilities for a free program, and I can use the best, most up to date charts all the time by simply downloading them from the NOAA website.

I've tried a couple of paid programs before, and I found them to be more cumbersome than OpenCPN. They may have some greater capabilities than OpenCPN, but it comes at the cost of greater complexity, and some of them require you to buy their proprietary charts.

YMMV

Also, I have the Garmin Bluechart app on the iPad, and although it has some potential, it can only send/receive routes to Garmin chartplotters via the Garmin network device. Since I don't have a Garmin chartplotter (just the Oregon handheld GPS), this is a pretty severe limitation. For me, the iPad app can only work as a standalone device, and I don't really want the iPad to be in the cockpit with me at this point. Maybe someday I'll change my mind.
Despie the many uyears I alwasy use my charts and love the simplicity of the elctronic advantages brought into the new millenium

Easier to find currents and tides on the Iapd or ploteer than looking through Eldridge although I keep it too

I always keep Jons caveats in my forebrain about being to hooked into electronic nirvana.

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner