Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-22-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: BVI chart/nav app

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Setting up the chart download was one of the things that was cumbersome. I got it done, but it wasn't a snap. I had to read some tips and instructions, as it didn't just work the first time. The second was getting the GPS dongle that I added to my tablet computer to interface. I may have given up on that. It been a while. I bought the iPad in the spring of 2011 and never looked back. I was actually a very reluctant iPad purchaser, but felt it was a better back up than a standalone GPS. I was immediately blown away by the functionality and ease of use.

iPad apps like Charts and Tides and the Garmin app just work out the box or actually prompt you for chart input. Didn't have to figure a single thing out. For $25-$50, I would rather have the hour or two of my life back.

I occasionally set up a route on my charplotter, mostly if there is a danger side of the route and I want to be able to glance at my relative position. More often, I just drop a destination waypoint on the fly to calc my remaining distance for some mental arrival math.

In the aircraft, we always load a flight plan and follow it to the letter. No choice. It seems much less an issue when tacking and jibing take you off the route anyway. Since I don't often set them up at all, interfacing isn't a consideration for me.
Sounds like how I use my IPad and Chartplotter, Plotting routes to me is easier on the IPad.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-22-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

TakeFive,

I had the same initial experience with the Garmin app waypoint icon. The ability to tap on Charts and Tides seemed much more granular. Then I realized that I should just get in the area of my desired waypoint and zoom in before setting the waypoint. Worked much better. However, I was only looking for distance to the entrance of a harbor than really trying to create a real route.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 02-22-2013
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
TakeFive,

I had the same initial experience with the Garmin app waypoint icon. The ability to tap on Charts and Tides seemed much more granular. Then I realized that I should just get in the area of my desired waypoint and zoom in before setting the waypoint. Worked much better. However, I was only looking for distance to the entrance of a harbor than really trying to create a real route.
I can see how if you are just setting a single waypoint, zooming way in to get better precision is no problem. But for a route consisting of 20-40 waypoints (as you often have to do on a river), that is hopelessly cumbersome.

Just goes to show you that how you use these things can make all the difference in which one you prefer.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Old 02-22-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallard View Post
Robes' Oregon 450 is waterproof, but I bet it will sink like a rock if it goes overboard (I've got one.) I was comfortable parking mine in a drink holder, but TakeFive suggested a handlebar clamp that Garmin offers if you are concerned about losing it. If your charter boat has one of these open transoms, you might consider a clamp or tether as cheap insurance.
The $9 handlebar clamp keeps prevents falling overboard by keeping the handheld firmly attached.

When it's out of the holder, I keep it in this clunkly cell phone holder from Home Depot. It just happens to be a perfect fit for the clunky GPS (click the pic for a link to Home Depot's listing):
I attach a couple floats (and my waste tank opener key) to the carabiner, so if it falls overboard it won't sink.

So the only time there's true risk of it sinking is when transferring it from the pouch to the handlebar mount. And that only happens in the slip, where the water's always calm.

1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
Old 03-01-2013

Robes is on a distinguished road

Hi Everyone-

So, I have my new Oregon loaded with the most up to date SE Caribbean BlueChart g2 HXUS030R (from Landfall). I will make my preliminary route on my home computer using HomePort and download that to the Oregon.

I have the new iPad, with GPS, and plan to download the BlueChart Mobile App and Active Captain.

I don't want to buy the Garmin Wi-Fi Adaptor kit (Don't think it would work with the Oregon anyhow). Therefore, it is my understanding that I will not be able to use my g2 HXUS030R micr SD chip in any way to get those maps into the iPad & that I will have to buy the Garmin North American BlueChart map (not U.S. Coastal because it doesn't include Caribbean) through the app "settings" once downloaded. Is this correct?

I don't know if the North American iPad BlueChart is as detailed in the Caribbean as the HXUS030R chip (I assume not) but when I talked with Garmin reps they told me the HXUS030R was the only detailed coverage (more detailed then preloaded or other BlueChart sd cards that included the Caribbean) to include the Virgins, Leewards etc. At the time when I talked to Garmin we never talked iPad.

My intention is to use the iPad in the cabin for the crew to follow and for that reason don't need more detail there. Yet, I guess I could (using the more inaccurate method of touch screen selection) roughly chart the same route on the iPad so people know where we are traveling. And, to be sure and turn off any roaming settings.

TIA
Robes
Old 03-03-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robes View Post
Hi Everyone-

So, I have my new Oregon loaded with the most up to date SE Caribbean BlueChart g2 HXUS030R (from Landfall). I will make my preliminary route on my home computer using HomePort and download that to the Oregon.

I have the new iPad, with GPS, and plan to download the BlueChart Mobile App and Active Captain.

I don't want to buy the Garmin Wi-Fi Adaptor kit (Don't think it would work with the Oregon anyhow). Therefore, it is my understanding that I will not be able to use my g2 HXUS030R micr SD chip in any way to get those maps into the iPad & that I will have to buy the Garmin North American BlueChart map (not U.S. Coastal because it doesn't include Caribbean) through the app "settings" once downloaded. Is this correct?...
That is correct, as I understand it, and based on my experience.

When you plug in your Oregon to your computer for the first time, the HomePort software will take a LONG time to read the charts. But in my experience, this delay will only be the first time. It seems to cache most of the charts onto your hard drive, in a very large folder called "Tiles." After that, you'll see the charts almost instantaneously as soon as you plug in the Oregon. But you will have to plug in the Oregon (or something else - see next paragraph) as validation. Note that I said "charts." If you have the SE Caribbean g2 chip in your Oregon, you should get a drop-down box in the upper left corner that allows you to select either the Oregon's embedded chart or the HXUS030R chart. If you draw a few shoreline-hugging routes in the BVI and switch between the two charts, you will see how inaccurate the embedded charts are for that area. What's even more shocking is the embedded charts are also very inaccurate for St. Thomas and St. John. I figured that since they are part of the US, that the NOAA surveys (upon which Garmin's charts are based, IMO) would be more recent and accurate. Not true. But the HXUS030R chip does appear to be much more accurate there.

Now for the "or something else" part: You can view the HXUS030R microSD chop by inserting the SD adapter into a card reader without the Oregon. If you would like to view the charts at home while the Oregon and HXUS030R are on your boat, you can actually copy the .img files onto another microSD card. If you copy both the embedded chart and the HXUS030R chart onto the microSD card and insert the card into your computer, you will once again get a dropdown menu in HomePort that will have both charts.

One interesting thing I noticed is that if you copy the Oregon's entire directory structure onto the microSD card, the program actually thinks that you have the Oregon plugged into the computer, even though you're just working with a microSD image of the Oregon. I suggest that you not do this, because the program will continuously nag you to update your "Oregon."

Note that Garmin uses a pretty sophisticated encryption scheme to make sure copied microSD cards do not work in the Oregon (or any other devices). Only the original chip will work in any Garmin devices. But HomePort does not appear to check the lock codes, so the copied microSD card (and embedded charts from the Oregon) will work with the software, even though it does not work in a device.

Quote:
...I don't know if the North American iPad BlueChart is as detailed in the Caribbean as the HXUS030R chip (I assume not) but when I talked with Garmin reps they told me the HXUS030R was the only detailed coverage (more detailed then preloaded or other BlueChart sd cards that included the Caribbean) to include the Virgins, Leewards etc. At the time when I talked to Garmin we never talked iPad....
I think the iPad downloaded charts are pretty detailed. But I did not get a chance to really test it out thoroughly. And I've returned the borrowed HXUS030R chip, so I can't do a side-by-side comparison. Maybe you could, and report back here so we can all benefit.
Quote:
...And, to be sure and turn off any roaming settings.
One way to make sure not to incur charges might be to remove the SIM card from the iPad. You might also consider buying a BVI-capable Lime card for while you are down there. Mr. Simcard sells them online. I have no experience with them to indicate whether their service is good.

Old 03-20-2013

Hello-

I think I'm confusing myself....

When I plot a route on HomePort do I want to set HomePorts preference 's for "HEADING" as Automatic Magnetic Variation rather then True?

With HomePort set to Auto. Mag. Var., and a route plotted then downloaded to my Oregon 450 (which its "HEADING"- North Reference, is set to Magnetic) won't the compass Heading & Bearing be correct as seen in the dashboard data fields of the 450?
I'm thinking the above is the correct set-up?

If I set the HomePort "Heading" to True North and the GPS Heading to True I would then have to know the bearing in Magnetic to use the GPS or boats compass to correctly head to the destination correct?

After my waypoints, routes are set-up in HomePort I don't see that a magnetic bearing is saved anywhere to access on the 450...

Actually, I thought Lat/Lon coordinates were independent of True/Mag variation. If so, then any setting in HomePort would suffice if using the Oregon set to Magnetic?

I'm assuming that setting the Oregon to True, then the compass points to True North(internally corrects). Setting it to Magnetic then the Oregon points to magnetic North as a real compass?

Thanks-

Last edited by Robes; 03-20-2013 at 05:47 PM.
Old 03-20-2013

fallard is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I'm assuming that setting the Oregon to True, then the compass points to True North(internally corrects). Setting it to Magnetic then the Oregon points to magnetic North as a real compass?
I'va also got an Oregon 450. You select "true up" or "track up" for your Map under the "Map" category in the "Setup" menu. You select "True", "Magnetic", "Grid", or "Other" under the "Heading category in the "Setup " menu. In other words, the setup for your 450 compass is separate from the setup for your 450 map display (which does not have a "Magnetic up" option).

Quite a few years ago, I set up my installed chartplotter to "magnetic up" to keep it oriented in a manner consistent with my lliquid-filled pedestal compass. I thought it would be more intuitive that way. However, the chart display in magnetic mode tilted the legends in a staircase fashion, making the legends harder to read. After a while, i went back to the chartplotter being true north up and have kept it there ever since. I use this same system on my Oregon 450. The map is true north up and the compass is magnetic.

One reason I keep the chartplotter and the Oregon maps in true north up mode is that they are easier to relate to my paper charts. I keep the 450 compass in magnetic mode because it is easier to relate to my pedestal compass. One thought is that I don't want to confuse myself if I lose my electronics and fall back to old fashioned paper charts and old fashioned compass mode.
Old 03-20-2013

Quote:
...With HomePort set to Auto. Mag. Var., and a route plotted then downloaded to my Oregon 450 (which its "HEADING"- North Reference, is set to Magnetic) won't the compass Heading & Bearing be correct as seen in the dashboard data fields of the 450?..
How did you download routes from the iPad to the Oregon? I wasn't able to figure that out, and assumed that function was not supported unless you had a Garmin marine network interfaced with a full-fledged Garmin chartplotter.

Old 03-20-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallard View Post
In other words, the setup for your 450 compass is separate from the setup for your 450 map display (which does not have a "Magnetic up" option).
Thanks, the map & compass separate-that's what had me confused, I didn't realize what I was setting here. Then I held the GPS very still and changed between True & Magnetic and sure enough two different readings, had it in my head the compass don't read True, but this reads both.

I don't believe setting HomePort to either True or Mag makes a difference once the waypoints are loaded to the Oregon correct?