Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-09-2012
Don't give up the ship!

Adele-H is on a distinguished road
Re: docking alone

Spring line it is all about the springs!
Spring , bow, done (if you reverse in the slip).
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-09-2012

sck5 is on a distinguished road

all of the above plus lots of fenders. lots of them. you dont want to bash into that lawyer's boat in the next slip do you?
Old 12-10-2012
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road

As Gary indicated, a full keel boat is very difficult to maneuver in reverse. The solution is to avoid being in that position if at all possible. Most times you can choose the situation that works for your boat. On my A35, I don't even consider backing in anywhere if the boat has to maintain direction in reverse. It is just not predictable enough when singlehanded with no one to fend off or attach a spring. You just can't be in two places at once. I will sometimes back OUT when I can push off by hand and then goose it to gain enough speed for the rudder to start to grab. With someone aboard that is capable of working a spring it can be a different story but not alone.

The best bet is to come in bow first, very slowly. Come in on your port side at a slight angle so that as the reverse propwash pivots the boat clockwise and the boat comes to a stop parallel with the dock. With spring lines ready to grab right at the gate, you can jump off, in neutral, and quickly secure the lines as needed.

Being singlehanded sometimes requires some inventive strategies. Sometimes there are just things you have to avoid doing and make other plans like carrying fuel in jerry jugs instead of even thinking about getting into that crowded fuel dock.
chef2sail likes this.
Old 12-10-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
On my A35, I don't even consider backing in anywhere if the boat has to maintain direction in reverse.smurphy
I have a friend with an Alberg 35 that I go out on a fair amount. I thought my boat like other was difficult in reverse and the knowing the prop walk made it manageable, but his boat is damn near unpredictable.

They are beauties and especially to those of us who appreciate the "older classic syles" and have learned to sail in that era.

Dave
smurphny likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 12-10-2012
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
I have a friend with an Alberg 35 that I go out on a fair amount. I thought my boat like other was difficult in reverse and the knowing the prop walk made it manageable, but his boat is damn near unpredictable.

They are beauties and especially to those of us who appreciate the "older classic syles" and have learned to sail in that era.

Dave
Reverse is always a surprise and something to be avoided at all costs! Last year in Menemsha, the dockmaster hollered to me that I could fit right in on the far side of the fuel dock and then back right out....RIGHT. I would have wound up tangled in Quitsa's swordfish pulpit.
So many people have no clue as to what you can and can't do in one of these.
Old 12-10-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Sounds like my mom. She is 85 now, buty in the day in her 60s she could stil,l drive a car with a clutch although her enormous Buick Esate Wagon ( boat) had automatic. My dad had a Porshe 911 and one of those old Trans Ams with the Big Red Bird on the Hood. My mom burned out 3 clutches in 4 years taking the Trans Am once in a while. What we didnt know is she couldnt put the car in gear with the clutch in reverse so she always parked in a parking lot was away from everyone so she wouldnt have to reverse this 450 hp monster car. I got a call on day to pick her up as someone had parked in front of her and she was aprked in. When I got there thats what happened she was on the out reaches of an empty parking lot with a VW bug parked in front of her and no one else within 200 yards. Reverse to my mom in this car and on our sailboat was another curse word
smurphny likes this.

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner