Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-10-2012
Tundra Down

downeast450 is on a distinguished road
NY Boat Show? January 3-6, 2013

Friends,

The last time I attended the boat show in NYC it was held in the NY Coliseum and I was a freshman in college. (I still have the scuba tank I purchased on that trip and it just tested.) The Admiral and I will be hosting Christmas for 5 adult children and families this year in Brunswick, ME. Can't wait! After we recover from New Years we are planning an escape to NYC on the new train that now serves us here in our town. The N.Y. Boat Show is on our list of options. How would you rate the show?

Down
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-10-2012
Captain Obvious

Sal Paradise is on a distinguished road
Re: NY Boat Show? January 3-6, 2013

I've been several times in the past 20 years. Its good. Javits center is a short cab ride from Grand Central. Its a big show, mostly power boats I think but its a fun day of dreaming and worth the ticket money. Grand Central is worth seeing itself and there are some great places to eat there as well.
Old 12-10-2012

CatalinaRob is on a distinguished road

Well, you are asking / posting on a sailboat forum here -- there are little to no sailboats at the NY Boat Show in NYC. Catalina and Hunter were the last 2 sailboat exhibitors that I can remember and I go every year. Last year, no mid or large Sailboat exhibitors were there -- all power boats and accessories. There were maybe a couple of small dingy sailboats on the sidelines. I go ever year because I am close to the show and my kids enjoy going in and out of all the larger boats. I generally enjoy anything-boating so its fine on a very general front but not much there for the avid sailor. Lots of power boats in the 22-32 foot size.

- Rob
Old 12-10-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

If you are used to going to any of the inwater shows like Newport, Annapolis, or Miami you will be disappointed by the lack of sailboats. If you are going to look at some of the accesory eauipment it may be worthwile, but most ois directed at powerboaters.
If you need a boat fix...it a good thing.

Bring lots of money. My parent company runs the food concessions there at the Javits center and that plus NY prices will give you sticker shock plus the food is prepackages. The area the center is in doesnt have much but a short walk away are a few places I would recommend.

Go to Manganaro's Hero Boy on 9th Ave between 37th and 38th for lunch. Huge heros or
Marseilles in Hell's Kitchen. It's on 9th Avenue at W. 44th Street or the Cupcake Cafe at 9th Ave (at W 39th St) and has soup and sandwiches and good cakes and pastry.

Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 12-10-2012
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road

I went there about four years ago. On a scale of 1 to 10 it would rate about 2. You must have something better to do with your time.
Old 12-10-2012
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough

I went to the NY show must be about 10 years ago. At that time they had only two 30+' sailboats and the rest were all power boats. As others have said, unless you are interested in the accessories I would not bother.
A ride on the Staten Island ferry, there and back, might be a more fun use of your time and it would be a lot cheaper than the boat show. Great views of NY Harbor and Lady Liberty. The fare is artificially low. Weather permitting of course.
Another little gem is the NYYC clubhouse at 37 W. 44th St. right off of Times Square. New York Yacht Club - Clubhouses
Yes, it is a "Blue Blazer" type of club and yes, they probably have a doorman/bouncer but if you just tell them that you are the Commodore of the Acadia Yacht Club and want to look around I bet they'd let you. The "Model Room" is well worth a look (see pictures in link).

Everybody has one:

Old 12-11-2012
Tundra Down

downeast450 is on a distinguished road

Thanks to you all for the heads up. That wasn't the case back in "the day", Ha! The web site suggests that, too. NY was my youthful stomping ground so we will head down anyway. For the admission fee I will attend but make additional plans for Saturday.

Down