Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-10-2012

blueblisteringbarnacles is on a distinguished road
which side slip?

Here's a newbie question for you: I've got a choice of slips at a marina for '13 - let's say port side and starboard side of the same double-loaded slip. Seems like the one at the farther side from the direction of travel while docking would be easier to get into [less of a sharp cut in]. while the slip at the closer side to the direction of travel while docking may protect my boat from getting hit by my neighbor if he docks poorly and overshoots.

Does anyone remotely think it matters which side to choose - if not, I'll toss a coin.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-10-2012

sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about
Re: which side slip?

For me? Bow in Port side.
I always dock Bow in, I don't like people lingering off the main slip and looking down into our boat, so Bow in.
Port tie so that when docking the last burst in reverse with Prop walk bring the port side nicely to the finger.
rugosa likes this.

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most - E.B. White
Old 12-10-2012
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about

Pier is best, all else equal, if it's on the side of the boat it's most natural for you to get on and off the boat.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Website & Blog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-10-2012
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough

Like sailorjk1, I prefer port side bow in... I would just as easily accept stbd, but prefer the privacy of bow in.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105 Certified Instructor - Also certified in Recreational Marine Electrical Systems
Old 12-10-2012
Great Lakes Sailor

padean is on a distinguished road

As to the concerns you mentioned, I think it is a wash. You will have a neighbor that can hit you either way, and whether it is easier to "cut" sharply into a closer slip or slide to the farther slip is probably not an issue unless you had one of those monstrous boats that takes 3x its length to turn (and you don't).

Probably more important for a newbie is prevailing wind direction. My preference is to have the dock/pier to leeward (wind blowing the boat toward the dock) if possible since you can always pad the boat/dock. It makes it easier to dock for most newbies. On the other hand, I chose a slip where the dock it to windward in the prevailing winds so that when I tie off the boat tends to be pushed off the dock and not rubbing. So even with that it is a wash.

We are now back to your coin toss idea. You will get used to which ever side you pick, and there are advantages to either. In a small boat like yours I really don't think it matters all that much.
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails." - William Arthur Ward
Old 12-10-2012

MarkofSeaLife is on a distinguished road

I think there's got to be more than mere preference, or tossing a coin.

Can you try the slips out with your boat?

What was does the stern pull with prop walk?
Where do the strong storm winds come from and is it better to be held off the pier when it blows?

When you go into the slip do you "flare out"? If so is one slip better for it?

Which of your lifelines has the better gate?

Where are the power and water plugs?

I think there's lots to think about!

If you are a newby and you don't mind telling people that, then you may be able to have a chat to some of the other skippers... The marina staff won't know...

If docking and leaviving is easy, simple and easy and simple you will be able to do it by yourself and so when you have an hour free from work etc you can go out for an hour, or just a few minutes. If your dock is a pain you may never want to go out!
I love just jumping in and going

Mark

Old 12-10-2012

ABH3 Boyer is on a distinguished road

I found it much easier to back into my slip(using a outboard motor). I also find it easier when the wind pushes me out or away from the dock. Less bumping and rubbing. With that said I prefer the dock on my starboard side. I also find it easier to load and unload my boat with my cockpit closer to the main dock. My original reason for backing in was to keep these little bugs from hanging out, out of the wind, in my cockpit. Now I just find it easier.
Old 12-10-2012

Bradhamlet is on a distinguished road

I would take the slip which lets the boat rest onto it with the wind blowing. When docking you want to be blown to it not away from it. I had the wind ward side and it sucks, no matter the boat speed we would always need to fend off the leward boat with only one aboard even with spring lines, mid slip,aft didn't matter. I lasted only a year and a half in that slip. (ya kinda of hard headed)

Brad
Lancer 36
Old 12-10-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Either one side or the other is exposed to your neighbor to be struck. Most boats prop walk is port when backing up. I assume you go bow in, then when you leave your prop will pull your stern to the port instead of into the pier if you take the slip with the pier to starboard. Also, which side is you gate in on your lifelines? shorepower recepticle? water fill.

All in all I prefer the same as the others. Bow in pier to starboard.

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 12-10-2012

PaulinVictoria is on a distinguished road

My engine controls are on the port side, so I tie up on that side so I can both see what I'm doing, and control the motor. Well, in theory anyway, reality is I have to reach over the transom and look where I came from, so I generally coast in and don't bother with reverse to slow/stop.