Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-10-2012

wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about
Your Sailing Dream ...

We haven't had a thread here in a while about what people are looking forward to with sailing. What are you excited about, what are you working towards, are you going cruising someday, getting a new boat, trying to learn something new ? It's winter soon (in the north), a good time to think about next year! Let's hear it! One of the things I enjoy most of all is hearing what other sailors are doing.

Please support my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-10-2012
Barquito

Barquito is on a distinguished road
Re: Your Sailing Dream ...

Near term: Week long cruises around Lake Michigan: Door County, Michigan ports, North Channel.

Future: 1-2 year voyages in Carribean, South America, Europe, etc. I like to think of going on long voyages, rather than casting of the lines and never returning.
Old 12-10-2012

rhr1956 is on a distinguished road

I want a boat that I can stand up in. One with a shower and a flat screen TV and a gas grill and a bimini for shade and a genset for the A/C to make a cool breeze on a hot Texas afternoon. Oh..and a steering wheel.
Old 12-10-2012

blutoyz is on a distinguished road

Near term - Hoistin' the colors and playin' pirate (wife thinks I am immature). Actually...cooking steaks at anchor on a warm summers day in Potter's cove (Narragansett bay) rafted with the rest of my pirate pals...LOL

Long term - I am trying to get my wife sold on eventually going to 40-50' and cruising up and down the coast once retired. Winters in warm water and summers up here...the ultimate retirement.

Cool thread...
Old 12-10-2012

PaulinVictoria is on a distinguished road

I'd settle for an Admiral that wasn't sh*t scared of heeling/wind/going a bit fast. Anything above that would all be gravy.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-10-2012

deltaten is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to deltaten

Second THAT. PaulinVictoria!

I look towards cruising the N. Chessie this coming season and fitting out the boat for long-term live aboard. Year after that...off to the ICW and South for the winter of '14. Who knows after that?
Old 12-11-2012
SV Skalliwag #141

brokesailor is on a distinguished road

Next year I would like to take a 3 week vacation and sail up to Newport R.I. non stop, have the wife meet me there then day sail our way back to the Bay with a stop in Martha's Vineyard of course.

Long term I would like to sail the boat to St. Martin, have the wife me me there and then cruise the islands.
Old 12-11-2012

Flybyknight is on a distinguished road

I'm 77. Been there, done it all. Now I just want to close my eyes, feel
the wind on my cheek, and hold on to what ever senses remain.
Gunk holing in the Chesapeake allows that.
Dick
Old 12-11-2012

ShoalFinder is on a distinguished road

Wind Magic, this is a very good topic. It's easy to get lost in the uber-technical sailing threads or to believe that the only sailing to be done is full-time cruising. While I lap up all of those kinds of threads, as a newbie sailor neither applies to me directly (at this time, anyway.)

At first blush, I have already accomplished my original goal which was nothing more than "learn how to sail a sailboat." It was always on my bucket list, although since I made the list when I was a kid I had no concept of running out of time to accomplish my goals. At forty, the reality of that is only getting more clear.

As a kid, I thought of the most exciting things that I wanted to do someday. I wanted to shoot guns, jump out of airplanes, scuba dive, have big muscles, and learn how to sail a sailboat. Ha, it's funny when you think about it. But when you are eight years old these things sound pretty darn cool. At forty, I still think they're cool. So I did all those things as time went by- all except learn how to sail. I just never had the opportunity, or rather, never created the opportunity until last year. I finally did, and I kick myself for wasting twenty years not sailing.

Now that I am sailing, I have goals and I have dreams.

My goals are to increase my ever-expanding coastal cruising range. I am now to the point of cruising up the west coast of Florida, then anchor for the night and cruise back the next day. I don't get very far, but with a typical two day weekend it's what I have available. I have learned how my boat acts in various winds and swell and, thanks in great part to this website, I have been broadening my skills to handle a wider array of conditions. My next goal is a three day trip, then a four day, etc.

What are my dreams? RHR1956 took the words out of my mouth. "I want a boat that I can stand up in. One with a shower and a flat screen TV and a gas grill and a bimini for shade and a genset for the A/C to make a cool breeze on a hot Texas, (err... Florida) afternoon."

I have the bimini, which I cannot imagine not having. It's more important than sails on some days...

I love my little Morgan 22. But lately everybody and their brother wants to go sailing with me (and I'm happy about that) and this thing isn't exactly a cruise ship. Something in the 33-37ft range would offer a quantum leap in living space although I would deeply miss the ability to sail in two feet of water. No more sailing right up to the beach and hopping off in waist deep water.

Last edited by ShoalFinder; 12-11-2012 at 09:26 AM.
Old 12-11-2012

Tim R. is on a distinguished road

Prepare the boat and crew for some extended cruising. Target is to throw off the lines in spring of 2014.

-----------------------------------------------------