Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree64Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-11-2012

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough
Re: How did you get the money for your first sailboat?

How I got my first boat is a long story, let me tell you how it begins..

While in the Navy making less than what HUD and food stamps would pay I started saving the change out of my pocket every day at the end of the day. Four months later I had 200 bucks and bought a Commodore 64, my first computer. Taught my self basic, got on BBS's and such, became the computer expert at every command I was assigned to. Continued learning, taking correspondence courses and saving my pocket change.
That C64 became an IBM 8088, Basic became other languages.
Eventually - at my last Navy command before retiring I was assigned to replace an Oracle DBA, went to school and worked my last two years as a Oracle database admin.
Retired from the Navy in 2001 when the telecommunication field was dieing (that was my actual training within the Navy, telecommunications).
Self taught myself SQL Server database administration.

Now I make what most would call a damn good paycheck - and try to use my Navy retirement check to pay for 100% of the boat and stuff everything left over at the end of the month into savings so we can leave the rat race and stay gone.

In short, patience.
Every boat I've owned (4) has been named a form of Patience
Old 12-11-2012
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road

In third year university (1970!) it turned out that my income (jobs and student loan, no contribution from parents because they could not afford it) exceeded my expenses. Bought a Mirror dinghy kit for $349 and spent the rest of the winter building and then took out the learn to sail book. If I had to buy a few more textbooks or drank more beer I might not be sitting on my boat in Durban right now.
Old 12-11-2012

IamJohnGalt is on a distinguished road

So majority of you started with +20ft boats?

Looking within my means, I can get a day sailer, or I can get a hobie cat. (Looking at the wave so I can learn solo sailing) both can be had for under 6k. Feeling hobie cat is the better option based on my location.

Tried to find sailing club at school, and it's non existent. Would be an interesting club to bring though, and could probably get a 420/laser/hobie 16 sponsored by the school.

Will have to learn more about this.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-11-2012

DonScribner is on a distinguished road

I wanted the boat so I convinced the Mrs that it was a great time to get a home equity loan to tie some school loans and sundry indiscretions together. "And for an extra 20 bucks a month, we can buy the boat that Alex and I are looking at. Oh, really?? I didn't mention that?? Awkward."
utchuckd likes this.
Old 12-11-2012

MarkSF is on a distinguished road

Saw the crash coming, and sold my house in the summer of 2007, right at the top of the market. About the only smart or prescient thing I've ever done.
MarkofSeaLife and Me and Boo like this.
Old 12-11-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Looking within my means, I can get a day sailer, or I can get a hobie cat. (Looking at the wave so I can learn solo sailing) both can be had for under 6k. Feeling hobie cat is the better option based on my location.
I would suggest the hobie 16 instead of the wave. The 16 has a jib and a main and will teach you the relationship in setting both in conjunction with each other just like on a keel boat. I always singlehanded my 16 with no issues and you can take 3 passangers.

Look also for a used on in combo with a trailer and maybe beach wheels. They can be had cheaper than 6000 easily and tyhe design hasnt changed in years and years.

Often times I lament how simnple and much fun the hobie was compared to the 35 footer. You could set it up and go out in 10 minutes and sail for 2 hours. Its a lot different with a larger boat. BTW the sopeeds on a hobie 16 are amazing. We kept ours in front of our house on the beach in Ocean City, NJ. My daughter and I were cloicked once going over 20 knotts abd I even pulled her behind me on a slallom ski once ( she only 99 lbs)
downeast450 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 12-11-2012
Tundra Down

downeast450 is on a distinguished road

John,

I started with an 8' pram. A 15' Marshall Cat was next. I still have it and will keep it. A Rhodes 22 followed that. Now we have a 28' Islander and enjoy it. When my wife retires we plan to buy something a bit larger that will be comfortable to live on. She wants to keep the Islander to revert to when we decide to move back off the water. Along the way I enjoyed sailing many larger boats than the ones I owned. Being competent, interested and available put me at the helm of some wonderful ones. A Giles 38, a Director 52, a 65' Swan among others. Charters are always available and they can take you anywhere in the world. You don't have to own the big one right off the bat. Get into sailing one that you can afford comfortably and enjoy the evolution. You will make a world of wonderful friends. You must save enough money for good food and drink!

Down
Old 12-11-2012

rugosa is on a distinguished road

My wife came over from her work spring of '86 and surprised me with an O'Day Daysailer with a trailer, paid for with her income tax return. She worked in marine electronics next to a boat broker, guess there was a little selling going on there. We dry sailed Sailin Fools every chance we could, 'lived on it' for a couple weeks each year while the boys were at camp, the Airedale even came along reluctantly a few times. Kept boat 4 years. She's a bit impulsive at times, n that's a good thing!
Old 12-11-2012

guitarguy56 is on a distinguished road

This is my third sailboat... I'm contracting up here at Boeing and after paying $1500 in an apartment in downtown Seattle for the last 6 months I bought the sailboat I have now for a steal... it's a US25 Yacht and in excellent condition when I got her... reupholstered the cushions, sanded and varnished the sole, redid the galley, added microwave, fresh water intake, new outboard engine, and now deciding to take the mousehair off the walls and add vinyl with insulation... since the boat is less costly than renting I moved in and now saving a lot of money... the slip fees are $200 a month and minimal electrical costs... so if you can get a hold of a cheap boat start with that... sometimes you can almost get a boat for free if you pick up the slip fees... it's a start but eventually you'll get what you really want by trading up... do a little work up front by adding your own materials and labor... soon another person will buy the boat from you and you'll have your next $$$ to buy a larger boat, etc., eventually you will be living in a 30-40 footer... my next boat will be a 35 footer in Savannah, GA (where I live and have a home)...
Old 12-11-2012

IamJohnGalt is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
I would suggest the hobie 16 instead of the wave. The 16 has a jib and a main and will teach you the relationship in setting both in conjunction with each other just like on a keel boat. I always singlehanded my 16 with no issues and you can take 3 passangers.

Look also for a used on in combo with a trailer and maybe beach wheels. They can be had cheaper than 6000 easily and tyhe design hasnt changed in years and years.

Often times I lament how simnple and much fun the hobie was compared to the 35 footer. You could set it up and go out in 10 minutes and sail for 2 hours. Its a lot different with a larger boat. BTW the sopeeds on a hobie 16 are amazing. We kept ours in front of our house on the beach in Ocean City, NJ. My daughter and I were cloicked once going over 20 knotts abd I even pulled her behind me on a slallom ski once ( she only 99 lbs)

I've looked at used ones, and can definitely afford one, but finding it hard to find one without hull damage. There's a couple in my area for 1200-3000 but they are quoted to have a soft spot on bow, which I am assuming is gunna mean I need to rebuild the hull.