Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree64Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-15-2012

neverknow is on a distinguished road
Re: How did you get the money for your first sailboat?

We still don't own a sailboat, but today own 5 boats. LOL

To buy our first boat 25 yrs ago we had to setup a strict budget and hold our selves to it. Counting every penny we made and where it was spent.

other posters are right, in the end it's not the cost of the boat, it's the cost of owning the boat. Storage, docking, repairs, insurance, registration the list keeps going. Even if someone gives you a boat there's a great deal of cost to keep it.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-15-2012

Mudtimud is on a distinguished road

I have yet to get mine but here's my plan. While the rest are saving up for an apartment and car, I'd be saving up for my first boat.
Old 12-15-2012
Daniel - Norsea 27

Rhapsody-NS27 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamJohnGalt View Post
How did you get the money for your first sailboat?
Thought of getting a boat since high school, then, I've been working hard, and still doing it, with the military and multiple deployments to Afghanistan. Can't spend anything while deployed so saved and saved and finally decided to get a boat.

Quote:
Aside from what it teaches you, there is simply the indescribable degree of peace that can be achieved on a sailing vessel at sea. I guess a combination of hard work and the seemingly infinite expanse of the sea - the profound solitude - that does it for me. - Billy Campbell
Old 12-16-2012

IamJohnGalt is on a distinguished road

Not going to create more threads, so will just keep asking questions here.

Essentially decided to do a circumnavigation instead of doing my MSc Financial Engineering as my field has no job prospects, and I feel the circumnavigation will give me the adventure to settle down and help me with my work (I am a mathematical economics major). Joined th forum to plan out what I need so everything can be ready to go th day I walk across the stage. I know many here say don't do it, but I will try my best to do it.

All I have really done so far is research boats, and what kind of courses I legally need to do it.

Is there some sort of guide to getting ready for this?

Also, as for buying a boat. I've decided to keep it under 30 ft to keep it easy to singlehanded as well as keep it within my price range. The two contenders right now are the contessa 26 and the flicka 20 (I put my budget at 20 000$ Canadian for the boat, not including repairs/preparations). I can have that within two years, leaves a year to come up with money to prep rigging for offshore and practice sailing to be ready to go. Looking for help making a budget of extras I will need (generally, not specific as I haven't picked up a boat yet. So mean like solar panels, electronics)

I understand my strengths/weaknesses for both the size and the boats
-pocket cruisers can't carry much water
-contessa is gunna mean I'm always hunched over (I'm 6ft1)
-flicka is a drifter in light winds, and doesn't have a head (from what I have seen?)

Mainly picked because they have a proven track record in rough seas. like my trading portfolio, track records mean a lot when you go out into the world. So basically I am looking for solutions, and suggestions to make my planning more structured and so I can build a real budget to get this to happen.
Old 12-16-2012

IamJohnGalt is on a distinguished road

Forgive the spelling, I'm on an iPad and its near impossible to edit
Old 12-16-2012
Huck

smallboatlover is on a distinguished road

well my first boat i got a good deal for $200 which was a zodiac. Got a cheap 3hp motor for $50 put a removable floor and seat in. Some oars and sold it for 600. Then got a little 14' speed boat put way to much money into it. sold it for 175. invested over $1700 into it. Received a 16' ft sailboat for a birthday give it was $500 i paid $200 of that. Now im on my real boat which is a 27'fter and got that for freeeee.
Old 12-16-2012
It's the Water and More

Me and Boo is on a distinguished road

I had saved money. Then I found a cheap boat that needed significant repair, but otherwise in very good condition. She was a Great Lakes boat prior to coming to the Chesapeake Bay so she had good standing rigging and hull.

Having acquired many skills in life allowed me to do my own work (except unstep and step the mast). Sweat labor is cheaper than paying someone else to do the job. If you can read and follow directions you can do almost anything on your boat. The mistakes are just for learning, and cheaper because you did the mistake. The next time you will not.
Old 12-16-2012

Southron Spirit is on a distinguished road

i found a trailer sailer (spirit 23 ) on ebay sold a four wheeler i didnt use to pay for it .. you can find some good deals on ebay , trailer sailer help keeps the costs down .
at cyc its a 100 dollars a month for a slip or 20 dollars a month to keep your trailer sailer there with your mast up ready to launch
Old 12-16-2012

guitarguy56 is on a distinguished road

Quote:

Essentially decided to do a circumnavigation instead of doing my MSc Financial Engineering as my field has no job prospects, and I feel the circumnavigation will give me the adventure to settle down and help me with my work (I am a mathematical economics major).
John... I know it's frustrating at this point and it seams fruitless in your pursuit of your dreams to go sailing... I would listen to many here regarding getting your first boat... I prefer if you will that you continue your university studies and at the same time try to save and wait for the sailboat that might come your way over the several years while you complete that Masters degree... if you believe that degree is not economically viable in this market get an MBA instead... some companies (mine did) pays your total university fees while working for them... to boot you get to save money over the two years you work for them... this way you have some savings and a nice boat you've prepped for the circumnavigation... glad my son is getting a head start with the sailboat I will give him... but he's already out of college and has a great career although far from the ocean (he is in Atlanta)... either way don't give up... there are many boats out there and you might pick up an almost 'free' boat if you look hard enough.
Old 12-16-2012

wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Is there some sort of guide to getting ready for this?
To prepare for living on a boat for the length of time you would have to do it to circumnavigate, I think it would be best to focus on the "living" part as much as or even more than the "boat" part.

It's the change in lifestyle that really gets most people. If you've always had unlimited hot and cold water, all the electricity you want, high speed internet, cable television, restaurant food, hardware and other stores 10 minutes away, toilets that drain into pipes that magically take everything away without your having to think about where it goes, automatic heat and air conditioning, etc, ... if you are accustomed to having all of the comforts life has to offer, it's going to be a real bitch to start living on a simple boat.

If you change your lifestyle first, then moving to the boat is really just a change of location.

Please support my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.