Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree64Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-10-2012

IamJohnGalt is on a distinguished road
How did you get the money for your first sailboat?

So starting to really think I need to get a boat and just sail over doing all these courses, but being a full time student, money is an issue.

How did you come to take ownership of your first boat, and what do you suggest for someone looking to get their first? (Still want a contessa 26 or 32)

-Snow laden economics major, sailer to be.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-10-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: How did you get the money for your first sailboat?

Worked hard and worked lkots of overtime. My career and family the a house which can be an assset in most economies. came first so I settled for a hobie cat for 8 years, then a 25 footer, then a 28 footer, then a 35 footer.

I am conservative so I bought none on credit. I didnt go for immediate gratification as I had responsibilities so I defrred with a plan to work for in the future.

dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 12-10-2012
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamJohnGalt View Post
So starting to really think I need to get a boat and just sail over doing all these courses, but being a full time student, money is an issue.

How did you come to take ownership of your first boat, and what do you suggest for someone looking to get their first? (Still want a contessa 26 or 32)

-Snow laden economics major, sailer to be.
Lived on half of what we earned and saved the other half. S'worked for us for 50+ years...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Old 12-10-2012

luck66 is on a distinguished road

Got the money for my first boat from the bank, then moved on the boat. Now the boat is paid for, oh I also have a house its on the water. Before you buy that first boat I would suggest you know what kind of sailing you want to do. Good luck.
Old 12-10-2012

night0wl is on a distinguished road

Had good jobs making decent money. Fiance was the same. Fiance wanted to spend money on a wedding. So I said sure. As long as I got to spend the equivalent on a down payment on a new boat. We were lucky in that we were in our late 20s and had great careers.
ftldiver and utchuckd like this.

Last edited by night0wl; 12-11-2012 at 11:16 AM.
Old 12-10-2012

Sabreman will become famous soon enough Sabreman will become famous soon enough

While in college, I sailed on the inter-collegiate circuit and the family boat, then crewed on a Sabre 34, bought an old GP-14 to teach my new wife, then a Sabre 28, then a Sabre 38. All were bought used and I did my own work - all of it. That was what allowed us to afford a boat. Like Chef, we did this only after taking care of necessities - finishing our education, buying a home, and paying off cars. We also only bought what we could afford to maintain - we sailed for 20 years before we had A/C or pressure water. Also as Chef said, it took a lot of OT to get to this point, a lot of it.

Along with doing our own work, we keep scrupulous track of costs - no hiding anything. That is very important because while a lifestyle, boating is expensive and costs need to be managed. I would say that these two items are the principal reasons why we can afford a boat.

Use OPB's until you can afford it.
MarkofSeaLife likes this.
Old 12-10-2012

Cruiser2B is on a distinguished road

Looked for a boat that was reasonably priced that I could sail and fix myself. Ended up with an Alberg 30 for under $5000. Have put another $3500 into accessories and new rigging. Kinda of pay as I go. Thats how I do it.
oysterman23, Squidd and nowake like this.

My two lovely ladies!!
Old 12-10-2012
always busy with sailing

Alex W is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamJohnGalt View Post

As a student you may have some access to student body sailing clubs, which are the best deal around. The one associated with a local state college has student memberships that give you a year of unlimited access to boats for less than what I pay for a month of moorage.

The boat isn't the expensive part, you can easily find a 1970s 20-25' boat in safe enough condition to enjoy for a couple of thousand dollars or less. Frequent examples in Seattle would be Tanzer 22, Catalina 22, Santana 20, San Juan 24. The problem is the ongoing moorage costs. I'm going to guess that if you don't think you can afford the boat that moorage is going to be the real issue.

At my old marina (maximum boat size of 27') most of the boats were purchased for around $3000 or less, with the cheapest being $200 (but I didn't consider that boat safe) and the most expensive still being under $10,000. However everyone still had to come up with $2000-$3000/year for moorage.

The only way to make moorage cheap is through living aboard, and that has a different set of tradeoffs.
HDChopper likes this.
Old 12-10-2012

yossarian is on a distinguished road

I got my first big (not dinghy) boat after I graduated from law school. Everyone in my law school class was dropping 3k+ on Bar study courses. I decided self study and take the $$$ I had saved for bar prep and buy a boat instead. Got the boat (27 foot Oday) and passed the bar...

Honestly, the boat is the cheap part. I got the boat for 1000 and since then (three years ago), I'm sure I've spent 4000 on engine parts, winter storage, paint, supplies, rigging, etc... And I have a free mooring. I could spend another 1k+ every year if I had to pay to keep it...
utchuckd and oysterman23 like this.
Old 12-10-2012

PaulinVictoria is on a distinguished road

Saved enough to buy a cheap boat by not doing things like going out drinking or dining out. Bought one I could afford, and afford to run. Still have it.
Turns out that despite what lots of sailnetters think, you don't actually have to start sailing on a 35ft boat.