SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

cool

3K views 21 replies 15 participants last post by  blutoyz 
#1 ·
thought this was a cool shot...

Attachments

See less See more
#7 ·
Three years ago on our run back to the LI Sound from Block Island we were sailing in 12 knotts of wind in fog with visability of 1/2 mile. Out of the fog pops up the boomer. 9out of Groton I am sure) Scared the crap out of me. No sign of it on the radar of course. All elctronic instruments on the boat went haywire for 10 minutes.

#17 ·
Looks like one of the newer fast boats, no boomers out of Groton. I think that one of the last times you would have seen one was in the 90's as they decommissioned the Poseidon system. I had the pleasure of pulling into homeport a couple of times in the late 80's and we did see mucho traffic during transit....not fun.

#10 ·
The big question is: what does it rate? I'm beginning to think that sub encounters are getting pretty common? Here is a sub that ran the start line at the beginning of the 2010 Baja Ha Ha rally. We tacked to stay clear as the patrol boat that was accompanying the sub made it clear they were privileged (no arguing when the other guy is pointing an M-60 at you!)

#16 ·
I was standing dive on a boat years ago and had an emergency deep while going up to periscope depth off the coast of Scotland. The OOD said that the people on the sailboat were waving at our scope...LOL

Gave a new meaning to the term "poopy suit"....LOL

#19 ·
My photo is of a late model Los Angeles class. Chef's photo is hard to see details - Were the dive planes on the sail? If not, probably a Sea Wolf or Virginia Class as they both have that little fillet in the forward base of the sail. BTW, the boomers were assembled in Groton.

#20 ·
They don't make em' anymore so odds are pretty slim that you would see one up here...LOL. I don't know what the Seawolf or Virginia look like. It doesn't look like a 688 or 37 though.

I believe that my first boat (SSBN642) had her keel laid there in 62' (boy am I old)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.