Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-11-2012

NCC320 is on a distinguished road
Experience with SeaTow

What has been the forum members experience with SeaTow? In particular, I am concerned with salvage vs. assistance. The sales pitch is that if you join, they will provide assistance at no additional charge. If the boat is in peril, it becomes a salvage where a high percentage of boat value can be charged and is not covered by membership. Peril can cover lots of territory. If I'm fishing in open water and engine won't start, am I in peril or just inconvenienced? Who decides? SeaTow says they will cover soft groundings provided 5 things exist, including that you must be able to rock the boat and they must be able to pull you off in 15 minutes. With a large boat, wing keel, and soft mud, there's a good chance you can't rock the boat, but are you really in peril? I have membership with SeaTow because of proximity of one of their facilities but have not needed them for assistance. I will start a similar thread for TowBoat US.

Last edited by NCC320; 12-11-2012 at 11:33 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 12-11-2012
Old enough to know better

miatapaul is on a distinguished road
Re: Experience with SeaTow

I think the real difference is who is near your location. I know where I am there are 2 Sea Tow locations within 30 miles of me. The nearest TowBoat US is about 60 miles away, so it is a no brainer. As far as the salvage bit goes, these are franchises, so there could be unscrupulous operators, but I don't see the issues as anything but isolated. I can't imagine an operator risking that unsatisfied of a customer, at least for the price of any boat I can afford!
Old 12-12-2012
Retired Naval Architect

Roger Long is on a distinguished road
Re: Experience with SeaTow

The only time I asked a question on an Internet forum and got a unanimous opinion was when I asked whether I should get SeaTow or BoatUS for my planned trip down the ICW from Maine. There was only the former in my home waters at the time so I would have gone with them if I hadn't asked.

I've had to use BoatUS more than I expected to to some engine issues which I hope are behind me. I've got nothing but good to say about their service. They are franchises as mentioned and I did encounter an unscrupulous operator who tried to shake me down for additional money by threatening to seize my boat. The BoatUS mothership slapped him down so hard it was a pleasure to watch. They even sent me a copy of the email assuring him that, if he ever did anything like that again, they would jerk his franchise so fast his head would spin.

I notice, when I am in ports with both, the BoatUS craft seem to be quite busy and SeaTow mostly sits. Same thing with radio traffic. I do like SeaTow's automated radio checks though.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.