SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Lessons from the Bounty- Offshore deliveries and Experiences

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  rockDAWG 
#1 ·
The last poster on one of the Bounty threads has made me pause to think about what , where and who I have choosen to help on or go on blue water deliverys or trips with and maybe what to look for.

It appears that one think which will come out of this is tha the lack of inspection on the Bounty was due to its classification as basically a personal yacht or one with less than 12 passangers.

Not sure about some of you but I have helped on over 40 deliveries in my lifetime and done some sailing with firends offshore to help them move boats.
I have tried to do due dilligence and check out the vessels before hand as well as for the mnost part have done deliveries with liscenced captiains I know and who know me.

ssumion you are going on a 3 day+ delivery or run.....

Those of you who do deliveries....how do you chooose your crews?
Those of you who crew....what are you looking for other to gain experience since you are risking your lives somewhat with an unkknown Captain sometimes?
What steps do you take to minimize your risks?
What equipement do you require on board before you will ever cast the docklines off with someone?
How far do you go checking out the other crew aboard? What are you
minimum requirements?
Have you ever gone to boat, got on not like what you saw and said no way and got off?

dave

See less See more
#2 ·
I'd pick a ballerina :)

But I don't.

Damn it.

I pick no one. It's much better in my mind for me to go myself, by myself.
Yes it does have its bad bits... Today was a good example.... Motoring down the ICW and missing both breakfast and lunch, then the fog rolled in, so I could have used extra eyes, then the autopilot started playing up so I couldn't leave the wheel for more than a few seconds.

But the wrong person not only s bad sailing, but bad for me, bad people in my own home...

#5 ·
Meet or at least talk to the party in length. Get to know him or ler him get to know me. If both parties are still on the same page, I would summarize the terms and conditions that we both agreed, and I listed all the equipment he saidnhe has that are essential to the safety the boat. I also send my sailing resume and references to him to review. Full disclosure in a must when it comes to safety. If the boat fails to deliver upon on arrival, I will walk without feeling guilty.

Unfortunately, it is easier for the boat owner to learn about you, but it is hard for the crew to learn about the boat until it is too late. This is the risk of sailing other peoples boat. Often I have to trust my own instinct. If I am wrong, I will be screwed.

Regarding crewing opportunity, most positions are from the older boats and their condition are not the best. For those well founded nice boats, they usually have a long list of crews on call basis. There is no esay way.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.