SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Plastic Classic Forum... (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/94917-plastic-classic-forum.html)

Squidd 12-12-2012 09:59 AM

Plastic Classic Forum...

This is for a different forum, but some of you guys might go there and perhaps be able to help me...

I tried registering for PC forum, and says I need to contact administrator to become active...

Except I can't contact administrator unless I "Log In"...!!!

So I'm kinda stuck...

Anybody know how to contact someone in charge over there...??

Barquito 12-12-2012 10:05 AM

Re: Plastic Classic Forum...

You could create another user ID (with a dummy e-mail), then login and ask for help.

CLucas 12-12-2012 02:25 PM

From the top of the site's registration page...

"Please note that you will need to enter a valid e-mail address before your account is activated. The administrator will review your account and if approved you will receive an e-mail at the address you specified."

Tah-dahhh. ;)

Squidd 12-13-2012 05:37 PM

I never got the memo....

I may try the dual login and then have them drop one...

Squidd 12-13-2012 05:42 PM

Quote:

Your account has been created. However, this board requires account activation by the administrator group. An e-mail has been sent to them and you will be informed when your account has been activated.

This is the memo from second account... I got this memo from the frist as well...

6 weeks later and I never seen the "welcome" e-mail...

CalebD 12-13-2012 08:08 PM

Squiddy,
It took me some time a year or two ago to get 'approved' at the PC forum as well. Just checked over there and Maine Sail posted a query for you.
The new owner/moderator of the PC forum responded:

"The past few months I've been getting several hundred registration requests per day, and as you can guess, most are from spammer/scammer types, and I just mow 'em down. I've changed the 'anti-bot' measures to try and make it tougher for auto-registrations now which should make *real* registrations be more obvious, so have the fellow re-register, and I'll get him activated. I don't have memberships on those forums IIRC, so could you pass along that message to him? Many thanks!"

If there is a way to indicate that you are not a spammer or spam bot - do so.

As MS says, the traffic there is pretty light but there are some interesting posts if you're willing to look 'em up.

Try again.

Squidd 12-13-2012 09:47 PM

I did sign up today with a second name/address and was "approved" within minutes...probably thanks to Maine...

but still nothing on the first name<Squidd> so I'll use active account to hopefully get first choice approved..

Then I'll just have to start posting and argueing with myself to boost traffic ;)

SchockT 12-13-2012 10:03 PM

I am an admin on another sailing site, and we just got through waging war with an onslaught of spam-bots. I spent hours sorting the legit registered users from the bot accounts. The spammers keep finding ways past the counter-measures that are meant to stop them. At one point we resorted to manually approving members by e-mail but we were quickly swamped. Fortunately we had a techie beef up our security by adding screening questions that only a human could answer.

It sounds like the guys running that site were having the same problem keeping the riff-raff out!

Faster 12-13-2012 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Squidd (Post 961267)
I did sign up today with a second name/address and was "approved" within minutes........

Then I'll just have to start posting and argueing with myself to boost traffic ;)

Oh Oh..... http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/c...45/file-79.jpg ;)

Squidd 12-13-2012 10:09 PM

Yeah.....but I snuck in past them...;)