Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree31Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-12-2012
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Re: Pumpout Costs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omatako View Post
All marinas in Auckland NZ have free pump-outs - no payment at all, even passing vessels can just turn into the marina, pump their tanks and sail on out. Don't have to take on fuel, don't have to rent a berth, just arrive, pump and leave if that's what you want. Sometimes they are not working, mostly they are.

Mostly nobody helps you, you do it yourself and some places have real sophisticated setups and they man them themselves.

Logic dictates that if the local council wants sailors to help keep the water clean then they must help the sailors by providing the necessary facilities.

But when did logic ever enter the psyche of any local council?
That is way better than Sydney Harbour I can tell you. Probably only one in five, maybe less, have pump out and virtually all charge, usually AUD15.00. Of those half only service marina clients.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-12-2012

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough

Here in Maryland it's a regulated 5 bucks, if they sell fuel, the gotta do the nasty too.

Let's do some math - you pull in, you get the pump out. The kid on the dock works your boat for 15 minutes (at Magothy Marina, they ALWAYS flush you until you run clear water, no waste).
Maximum efficiency, 4 boats a hour, 20 bucks.
The marina pays the kid maybe 10 bucks, probably less. The actual cost of the employee is closer to 17 a hour even at that rate - and maximum efficiency is something only dreamed of by efficiency experts.
The gear (which is supplied via a grant or at least cost sharing) costs money. Running it cost money. It's got to be maintained (not provided for in the grant). That waste goes out your sewage line which charges by the gallon.

It's not exactly a money maker. Logic doesn't dictate a reasonable price, the market does.

It's a sail boat, sail it out past the 3 mile once a week and do the dump. Then calculate the price of doing that (diesel, wear and tear, time) and pay the man at the pump.

Or line up the family at 8am and 8pm for the dinghy ride to the head on shore.
AdamLein, chef2sail and Brewgyver like this.
Old 12-13-2012
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

Chuckles, the minimum wage in Mary Land is $7.25 an hour, about the same as in many states and actually higher than some others. I'd bet the gas monkeys are paid minimum wage, no benefits, and sometimes kept as part-time help to make sure of that. Not $17 but $7.25 or close to it, or perhaps paid only ~$3 an hour like waiters and busboys and others who are allowed to "work for tips".

Perhaps we have some dock monkeys in the forum who can tell us for sure. But $17 an hour? Hell, there are machine shops trying to hire at $12 and burger franchises pay less than $14 for shift managers.
Old 12-13-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

We pay our Dock Monkeys $10 per hour.

So it costs the club really $15 per hour once you have included uneployment insurance, benefits etc. Rule of thumb in my business is that Benefits/ Taxes/ Contributions usually adds between 30-33 % to the actual wage you pay in terms of actual cost of the emplyee to the company

Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 12-13-2012

waterwks4me is on a distinguished road

Cost for pumpout at my marina is free and $5.00 if they come to the boat in your slip. Also free to those that are transient. Your experience is just another example of sheer gread. An opportunity to gouge and people will do it. Greed overrides any logical thinking such as serving a purpose for the good of the environment.
Old 12-13-2012

JimMcGee is on a distinguished road

In Jersey pumpouts are free, there's also a pumpout boat called BaySweeper that comes around to the marinas and to popular anchorages out on Barnegat Bay. The pumpout boat is free but it's customary to tip the operator $5.

What's interesting is how it's funded
The CVA Program stations are mostly financed by federal grants, through the federal Sport Fish Restoration and Boating Trust Fund, which is derived from excise taxes on fishing equipment, motorboat and small engine fuels, and import duties. Matching funds are provided by New Jersey's "Shore to Please" license plate fund.
And the reason why a Republican governor is behind an environmental program - it's good business for the state.
"This program plays an important role in the protection of New Jersey's waterways by giving boaters convenient options for properly disposing of sewage and wastewater," Commissioner Bob Martin said. "Governor Christie and I are working hard to improve water quality in New Jersey, especially in Barnegat Bay. This type of program makes a big difference in that effort.''

Keeping the state's coastal waters clean is vital to marine ecosystems and to the state's $40 billion tourism industry. There are about 180,000 recreational boats registered in the state. Every year, fishing provides enjoyment for more than 800,000 people, while providing a $1.4 billion dollar boost to the state's economy.
You would think Florida would recognize the same economic motivation and have access to the same Federal funds.

The quotes are from the Ocean County Department of Planning web site.

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most" - E.B. White
Old 12-13-2012

JimMcGee is on a distinguished road

You might also consider reviewing them on Active Captain. I know a $25 pumpout charge would get my attention.
MarkofSeaLife and Brewgyver like this.

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most" - E.B. White
Old 12-13-2012

pdqaltair is on a distinguished road

The marina I use (MD Chesapeake) ripped out the MD state equipment because it didn't work for beans and put in a new system that is MUCH better. It's free because they decided it just wasn't worth keeping track of. I'm sure they came out ahead on good will. It is self service, so there is no labor component, but it works so well most don't mind. I believe you can request help.

No, it doesn't need to be free, but perhaps it's one of those things that smart operators will accept as part of the business. I've got believe the cost of maintaining the pump is far less than that of cleaning a bathroom.

"Well, I just climb up to them."

by Joe Brown, English rock climber

Old 12-13-2012

MarkofSeaLife is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMcGee View Post
You might also consider reviewing them on Active Captain. I know a $25 pumpout charge would get my attention.
Great! Those that use Active Captain should fill it with information!
It is an excellent resource when you can have it on the plotter. I am really enjoying it on the Intra Coastal Waterway

An over charged pump out should be written up so we can all avoid the place.

Old 12-13-2012

xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about
So Ft. Myers Beach is now an NDZ? When did that happen?