Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree31Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-12-2012
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Pumpout Costs

We just returned from a great trip down the coast. Had a blast in Desoto, Venice, Charlotte Harbor (and Cabbage Key), and FOrt Myers Beach. Really great places for those that have not been there.

However, I want to run something by the forum and get your take. WHile in Fort Myers Beach, we spent most of our time on the mooring ball. However, we wanted to go in one day for water, some supplies, and while we were at it, a pumpout. SO we paid a daily transient and went in.

We got the bill and were shocked... about $125 for the night. WHat frustrated me was that they pump out the boat at the cost of $25/pumpout. THis is on top of nearly $2/foot and $8/per electric hookup. Now, if I was just going in for a pumpout, I would be ok if they charged me something... though I might not completely agree with it. But $25!??

It't not the money, per se, it is the whole point. See, Fort Myers Beach has one of a few Mooring fields put in and sanctioned by the state. They did away with the anchorage because they could monitor it better and keep the water cleaner And come on, let's be honest, they wanted to make money. However, how do you maintain a clean bay when the marinas around you charge $25/pumpout??

I am an advocate of pumping out and managing your waste disposal properly. Nothing pisses me off worse than these boats where people live aboard and dump all around me. It gives all of us a bad name. I know most of you who read this would agree with me. It's grosse and ecologically unsound. However, when the state allows the marinas to charge rediculous amounts of money to pump out, what incentive is there for those that do not hold my opinion of dumping in the water to go to a pumpout? Will I still pumpout? Yeah!! But I guarantee you most of those other boats wont. That is an easy $100/month if not twice that much.

So don't get me wrong... I am not trying to sound tight. $25 surely isn't going to break me. But I believe that when those kinds of fees are charged (even for those who are paying dockage), you create an environment which discourages good boating practices. Instead, why not put up a pumpout station that everyone can access that is free and accessible? If not run by the state, who dictates these laws in the first place, require all marinas to have one and set what they can or can't charge. Consider it the price of owning and operating a marina.

Curious who agrees with me and who doesn't?

Brian

PS THe mooring field in FMB does run a pumpout boat as a service, as does Boot Key. For those that go there, you don't have to pay if you stay on the ball. It does not run on the weekends, only M-F, FYI.

2004 Catalina 400, Sea Mist IV (our boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in S FL and Keys primarily)
1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-12-2012
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

travlineasy will become famous soon enough
Re: Pumpout Costs

Brian, you got screwed. I've never had a pumpout during the entire trip that cost more than $7. $2 a foot is pretty steep north of Florida, but here in Paradise it's probably about average.

Cheers,

Gary
Cruisingdad likes this.
Old 12-12-2012
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about

I've never paid for a pumpout while cruising. Have always got them free with fuel purchase. Philosophically though, since a closed head is mandatory, it seems like price gouging to charge that much. I assume this was a municipal operation and not private.
Cruisingdad likes this.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

- Website & Blog

Old 12-12-2012

capttb is on a distinguished road

Every harbor here in California has free pump out stations I believe and illegal dumping is still a huge problem that has resulted in the loss of many free anchorages in an area that didn't have many to start with.
The Log Newspaper | California Boating & Fishing News - Cleanup-Set-for-Former-San-Diego-Anchorage
The Log Newspaper | California Boating & Fishing News - Dana-Point-Ends-Long-term-Offshore-Anchoring
Charging to dump would seem contradictory with efforts to encourage responsible waste management.
Cruisingdad likes this.
Old 12-12-2012

sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about

$5 in our home marina.
$10 if they stick a damned hose in it, rinse it, and than pump out the water.
The second $5 is what gets me going.
I have gotten to know the dock kids over the years and usually don't pay the extra, but if you were new to the marina, they nail you with it.
I don't know your waters, but $25 seems a little step if you ask me.
Cruisingdad likes this.

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most - E.B. White
Old 12-12-2012
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by travlineasy View Post
Brian, you got screwed. I've never had a pumpout during the entire trip that cost more than $7. $2 a foot is pretty steep north of Florida, but here in Paradise it's probably about average.

Cheers,

Gary
Hey Gary,

This is just north of you in Fort Myers Beach... not that far away (SW Florida).

Believe me, I KNOW the costs down in the keys. Not cheap!!! But that is the keys, and this is Fort Myers Beach. Not putting down FMB, but no comparrison.

BTW, put me off seeing you for at least another 30 days if the biceps heal and PT works out ok. THe dock doesn't even want me lifting a beer with my right arm!! Good thing I drink Jack Daniels.

Brian

2004 Catalina 400, Sea Mist IV (our boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in S FL and Keys primarily)
1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 12-12-2012
Best Looking MALE Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBzeer View Post
I've never paid for a pumpout while cruising. Have always got them free with fuel purchase. Philosophically though, since a closed head is mandatory, it seems like price gouging to charge that much. I assume this was a municipal operation and not private.
It is Salty Sams Marina in FMB. And outside of the cost, what really ticks me off is I paid to stay there too. It wasn't as if I just came in for them to pump out my head. But my issue is still that when you charge that kind of a fee for a pumpout, you discourage good boating practices.

WIll I still pump out? Yeah. I will. But what about the other people?? We will easily have to pumpout once a week, and sometimes twice. How does $100-$200 month just for pumpouts settle with the typical cruiser's budget??

Brian

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 12-12-2012
Best Looking MALE Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailortjk1 View Post
$5 in our home marina.
$10 if they stick a damned hose in it, rinse it, and than pump out the water.
The second $5 is what gets me going.
I have gotten to know the dock kids over the years and usually don't pay the extra, but if you were new to the marina, they nail you with it.
I don't know your waters, but $25 seems a little step if you ask me.
If I had known it was $25 before the pumpout, I would have had them flush the tanks all day long.

Brian

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 12-12-2012

boatpoker is on a distinguished road

Our summer cruise in 2012...... From Port Credit, Ontario to Gananoque in the Thousand Islands then back to Oswego and spent a month in the New York State Canal System.

Pumpout costs on this trip -
Picton, Ontario - $23.00
Kingston, Ontario - $28.00
Gananoque, Ontario - $28.00
New York State Canals - most were free, some were $2.00. All were do it yourself.

With a 29 gallon tank that comes to almost $1/gallon in most Canadian marinas.

I Love New York
Cruisingdad and Jgbrown like this.

Last edited by boatpoker; 12-12-2012 at 01:01 PM. Reason: addition
Old 12-12-2012

MarkofSeaLife is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisingdad View Post
How does $100-$200 month just for pumpouts settle with the typical cruiser's budget??

Brian
Do you want to apply that to a $500 per month cruiser thread?

Of course it's ridiculous. If the price is too high people won't use the facility ie they will pump into the waterways. So it's needs to be a free service. All marinas and fuel docks should be obliged to pump out for free. Then there's no excuse for not using the service.
JimMcGee and Cruisingdad like this.