Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-13-2012

MastUndSchotbruch is on a distinguished road
Re: Rocna Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4noggins View Post
LOL... Delta states a 20lb anchor is recommended for my 36' Sabre. That scares me!! Since I don't have a windlass it was intriguing and I also only use 15' of chain to keep the weight down.

Thoughts??

Rich
I wouldn't trust a 20# anchor for a 36' boat. Forgot to mention that I have 100' chain shackled to the anchor.

I don't have a windlass either and I am not that much younger than you are but I have no problems hauling up my anchor. Good exercise but by no means strenuous.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-13-2012

copacabana is on a distinguished road

My main anchor is a 35lb Delta (boat is 35 ft and about 17,000 lbs loaded to cruise). I just bought a 45lb Mantus anchor to be my main anchor. The Delta is a good anchor and hasn't let me down, but I know the new generation anchors are better. I also have a 45lb CQR which I am happy to get rid of. I believe Greg of Mantus is still offering a special price on Mantus anchors for Sailnetters. The anchor has received nothing but sterling reviews so far.
Old 12-13-2012

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by MastUndSchotbruch View Post
Yes, I have a Delta (35# for 32' boat). Totally happy with it. Just a great, no nonsense anchor, thankfully without the fanboy community that Rocna and some others of its ilk attract.

I guess when people find products that actually work as advertized they tend to spread the word....

Your attempted insults towards those who have used other anchors, then tried some of the new generation, is amusing at best to those of us who know how differently they perform.......... Insult away cause it may just be be a new gen anchor owner helping you kedge your boat off a beach someday...
eherlihy, chef2sail and jimrafford like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Old 12-13-2012

jimrafford is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I have a 36' Sabre with a 35lb CQR, 15ft chain, 200ft line. Have not had any problems with my set up even in thunder storms with 50 knot winds. But, I've been contemplating a new anchor and maybe more chain?? (no windlass and I'm 62 years old) and was thinking of a Rocna or Delta. Anyone use a Delta??

Any ideas??

Rich
Lake Champlain, VT
Pass on the delta.
I bought one for our previous 36.
We used a 25# cqr that came w/ the boat and never dragged. Switched to the delta for launching ease and had constant dragging problems. We were using all chain.
Would never use one again.
Jim
Old 12-13-2012
Will work to sail. :-)

eherlihy will become famous soon enough

Quote:
I have a 36' Sabre with a 35lb CQR, 15ft chain, 200ft line. Have not had any problems with my set up even in thunder storms with 50 knot winds. But, I've been contemplating a new anchor and maybe more chain?? (no windlass and I'm 62 years old) and was thinking of a Rocna or Delta. Anyone use a Delta??
Hi Rich,

I tossed my Delta and a CQR Knockoff (Spartan) when I bought my Chinese-made Rocna 15. I normally use 30' of 5/16" chain, and 200' of double-braided rode, and It does fine.

However, for those occasions when MORE holding power is required, I have 10' of 1/2" chain that I will attach to the 5/16" chain, opposite the anchor, and before the double braid. I think of it as a kellet, that I will pull up with the anchor. It's too damn heavy for me to use it often, as I only use the arm windlass.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105 Certified Instructor - Also certified in Recreational Marine Electrical Systems
Old 12-13-2012
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough

I'll happily fourteenth the Rocna. We replaced an aged CQR on Raven and have zero complaints. Otoh, the new girl came with a Bruce which has never let us down so I doubt I'll be giving that away.

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett
Old 12-13-2012
HANUMAN

RobGallagher is on a distinguished road

After using a Fortes for many years with good, but not flawless results, I have a Rocna. I first purchased a Manson Supreme and was happy with it, but didn't like the way it sat on my anchor roller. I actually think the Manson set faster, but my testing was limited.

The angle of the Manson seems harsher and seems to dig in faster. This also results in the pointy end further out and down on my roller. This would foul mooring penants. The Rocna will still foul the penant, but only in windy conditions.

I'm still looking for a fix as the anchor will not fit through the bow pulpit. Taking it off involves removing the anchor from the chain.
Old 12-13-2012

4noggins is on a distinguished road

Jim, What size boat do you have now and are you still using the 25lb CQR?

Eherlihy, Your using 30' of chain for what size vessel?? I use 15' for my 36' just to save on weight.

I have not had any problems with the CQR but for years I've been reading about sailors complaining about them and moving on to Rocnas, Deltas, etc. Maybe I should I adapt the old New England adage, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it".

Seems like I'd have more peace of mind replacing the CQR.

Also, adding chain when needed is a great idea. Do you use C-Links or shackles and can you sleep at night knowing they're in there??

Rich
Old 12-13-2012

jimrafford is on a distinguished road

The current boat is a cs40. It came w/ a cqr #35 w/ all 3/8 chain. It works fine and has never dragged but I will be replacing it this spring. Planning on a Mantus. I have used c links to add chain. Wouldn't loose any sleep. A delta is another story.
Jim

Last edited by jimrafford; 12-13-2012 at 06:09 PM.
Old 12-13-2012

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdw View Post
I'll happily fourteenth the Rocna.
Go "fanboy".........

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Last edited by Maine Sail; 12-13-2012 at 07:25 PM.