Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-13-2012
Master Mariner

capta is on a distinguished road
Rocna Review

Well, we’re back in Admiralty Bay, Bequia, one of the worst bottoms in the Antilles. Every time we are here we watch the “drag fest”, which by the way has nothing to do with men in dresses, and have even participated to some degree. My lifelong romance with the genuine CQR anchor was in jeopardy it seemed, last year in Admiralty Bay.
I’m not easily swayed by new things if the old work just fine, and when I read of the “new generation” of anchors, I kind of scoffed. But the failure of my CQR to hold the first time and seeing others successfully anchor where I could not, had me in the dinghy talking to those captains. “We use a Rocna” we were told over and over again. “We used to use a CQR, but we prefer the Rocna.”
Fifteen hundred dollars on a voyager’s budget is no light expenditure, and for something that may not be much of an improvement on what I have? After all, all boats are different and maybe it’s really just Bequia’s bottom; I tried to justify my inaction.
But fortune stepped in and for a fifth of the retail price I was able to secure a new 88 pound Rocna for our 78,000 pound boat. Supposedly, it was one of the “bad” Chinese anchors, but at that price, it was a throw-away experiment as far as I was concerned.
For six months, and in anchorages that we had previously sat just fine on our CQR, we now set the Rocna. Many times I have dove and checked the new anchor’s set and it has not once dragged even one anchor length before it set, not once. My CQR could drag several lengths or more at times, before setting.
So, for those of you on the fence, I can unequivocally state that IMO the Rocna is indeed a better “mouse trap”. I still don’t like the design; it just doesn’t look like a better design to me, but I am convinced that this “new fangled” anchor does exactly what it is meant to do, better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 12-13-2012

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough
Re: Rocna Review

78,000 pounds??? Geez, what the hell are you sailing on down there? (grin)

Agree completely with your assessment... I made the switch to a "New Generation" Spade over a dozen years ago, and have been using your Rocna's Evil Twin - a Manson Supreme - for about the last 6 years or so...

As a single all-purpose anchor, nothing else comes close, IMHO...
Old 12-13-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

I agree with your acessment

I although I probably dont go in as many different bottoms as you, I have used a NZ 15kg ( 33 lb) Rocnas now for 4 years. We tyravel to Long island and New England and anchor in varying conditions such as sand, hard sand, rocky, silt etc with nary a problem as of yet.

The only place we had to set a number of times was a grassy bottom. But most other anchors would have had difficulty too.

Best anchor overall for most bottom conditons I have ever had. I sleep better with it
Also have a new Mantus 35 as a secondary which I have only put together and used a couple of times. ( I am sure Manson would be just as effective)

Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 12-13-2012
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road

I fourth the motion. I was long-standing user of CQR and other anchors but have used a Manson for our circumnavigation with hundreds of nights of anchoring. What a difference.
Back to Grenada in early December. Not sure I will remember how to sail. Will spend the winter and early spring in the Caribbean and then head to Bermuda and the northeast US. Still trying to decide if we will bring the boat to Canada, either in 2015 or 2016.
Old 12-13-2012
Montgomery 17

Perithead is on a distinguished road

I love my Rocna on my little 17' trailer sailor! I have the 13lb'er with 30' of 3/8" chain.

On my week long trip though the lower Keys I stayed on the hook every night except one. I think the anchor bit in one night, but most of the time the chain held me and the anchor never needed to set. But the one night the anchor did set I slept confidently knowing my anchor was going to hold.

Get yourself a Rocna and a fair amount of chain and stop worrying!

Sailing Videos, Woodworking Videos and More!
Old 12-13-2012
formerly posting as eryka

wingNwing is on a distinguished road

Got a 20 kg Rocna on 100 ft of chain before our first long cruise in 2009. In the 8,000 - 10,000 nautical miles we've traveled since then, we have never, not once, deployed the CQR or Danforth styles we carry as secondary/tertiary anchors. We dragged once, in a f-ing *tornado* in North Carolina. Twice, unattended other boats larger than us dragged down on us and the Rocna held us both for hours!

Cinderella, CSY 33, Photo by Joe McCary

Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable. - Sidney J. Harris

Shameless self-promotion - my blog for the Annapolis Capital newspaper:
still has some glitches to be worked out. Until then, I'm posting at:
and
! And a new project:
Old 12-13-2012

4noggins is on a distinguished road

I have a 36' Sabre with a 35lb CQR, 15ft chain, 200ft line. Have not had any problems with my set up even in thunder storms with 50 knot winds. But, I've been contemplating a new anchor and maybe more chain?? (no windlass and I'm 62 years old) and was thinking of a Rocna or Delta. Anyone use a Delta??

Any ideas??

Rich
Lake Champlain, VT
Old 12-13-2012

lancelot9898 is on a distinguished road

I replaced my 35 lb CQR with the 45 lb Manson Supreme some 5 years ago. Great anchor however while I did have problems under certain conditions in getting that CQR to set, that little 35lb CQR held my 25000 lb displacement boat during a cat 1 hurriicane. The manson has been through a full gale with no problems. I never want to be aboard during a hurricane again regardless of the anchor.
Old 12-13-2012

MastUndSchotbruch is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4noggins View Post
I have a 36' Sabre with a 35lb CQR, 15ft chain, 200ft line. Have not had any problems with my set up even in thunder storms with 50 knot winds. But, I've been contemplating a new anchor and maybe more chain?? (no windlass and I'm 62 years old) and was thinking of a Rocna or Delta. Anyone use a Delta??

Any ideas??

Rich
Lake Champlain, VT
Yes, I have a Delta (35# for 32' boat). Totally happy with it. Just a great, no nonsense anchor, thankfully without the fanboy community that Rocna and some others of its ilk attract.
Old 12-13-2012

4noggins is on a distinguished road

LOL... Delta states a 20lb anchor is recommended for my 36' Sabre. That scares me!! Since I don't have a windlass it was intriguing and I also only use 15' of chain to keep the weight down.

Thoughts??

Rich

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.