Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree39Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-13-2012

daydream sailor is on a distinguished road
Re: What to do?

I would forget all the sails, who needs all that bulky klunk flapping around, just get a couple of good oars, and take the mother-in-law along to do the rowing, at least that will make the wife happy.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-13-2012

flyingwelshman will become famous soon enough

I'm pretty sure you're joking, but in case you're not there are a couple of very serious considerations that you have not addressed.
  1. What kind of coffee will you be taking? (French press, instant, percolated)
  2. Should you install granite counters in the galley?
  3. What to do in case of Zombie Apocalypse.

Also: make sure you take a tin opener as heating up food in sealed tins will have explosive results.

The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever. - Jacques Yves Cousteau
Old 12-13-2012
Irrationally Exuberant

arf145 is on a distinguished road

Killarney:

Lighten up! You're way overthinking this thing! And your anchor/gun question is a no brainer...get a very big gun and it will double as an anchor. Am I right? You're welcome!

2000 Beneteau 331
Northern Chesapeake Bay

Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy ~ Steven Wright
Old 12-13-2012

jackdale will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by arf145 View Post
Killarney:

Lighten up! You're way overthinking this thing! And your anchor/gun question is a no brainer...get a very big gun and it will double as an anchor. Am I right? You're welcome!
Wrong way round. With the right size anchor you do not need a gun.

smurphny likes this.
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
ASA 201, 203, 204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
Old 12-13-2012
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwaltersmi View Post
You're the man Killarney! When you get around to it, can you give us your wisdom on choice of dinghy (hard or soft), keel types (full or fin), and how you're making all that cash to keep the cruising dream alive? While you're at it, educate us on the virtues of using an iPhone as a complete nav station.
I don't want Braveheart to look dinghy at all so we went all out at the Home Depot and got the deluxe, semi gloss house paint and a really good roller for applying it. A bit tricky when fishing boats went by and we got wakes. Had some left over and I always believe you should not waste so did the floor of the cabin too. Molly says the colour is mauve but just looks light purple to me.

As for money, I am sure we will make out fine like always as long as the cheques from the govt keep coming.

Think I got the navigation figured out in a KISS kind of way. Got a real nice compass (btw, should I be worried about the big air bubble?) and figure to use it. Will go down to Florida and keep going until I see Cuba (pretty hard to miss) , then turn left and keep going until we see Haiti where we will stays awhile most Molly can learn French + it's cheap. Then keep going due east until we find other parts of the Caribbean. We are going to learn how to say "What place is this?" In French and Spanish, so that should work. If we miss the Caribbean, no big whip, we will just keep going until we hit Africa and then turn left and follow the coast until we can turn into the Medw. Same idea everywhere else. How hard can it be to find India, or Australia, or South America. If we hit New Zealand (well not really hit if you know what I mean) that would be a bonus. Thought about a sextant but was never that good with math and I don't trust the govt not to turn off the GPS. I think some people like to pretend that navigation is hard so they will look smart.
arf145 and ShoalFinder like this.
Old 12-13-2012
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrd22 View Post
I don't think I've ever read a more concise review of the year on SN. Well done KS!

ps. make sure you have a clearance form from a Vet (signed within the last 12 hours) at each new country you enter.
We have trained Snark the Rottweiller (named after my first boat, a clapped out bass boat named Snark) to play dead and even hold his breath. He looks just like a giant stuffed animal so anyone looking would not know we have a pooch.
Philzy3985 likes this.
Old 12-13-2012

flyingwelshman will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post

Ship drops anchor on tug boat. - YouTube
Whoops!

The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever. - Jacques Yves Cousteau
Old 12-13-2012
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameswilson29 View Post
By all means. Use key words like "open-minded", "fit", "nubile", and/or "contortionist" to grab their attention!
Molly has many fine features. Sadly being that open-minded is not one of them.
jameswilson29 likes this.
Old 12-13-2012
Don't sail anymore

chrisncate is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by killarney_sailor View Post
Thanks for the kind words and encouragement. Sounds like people think I am ok for anchors (that concrete in the paint can is a great idea. I bet I could make two from one bag of cement and be really well setup). Guess I should spend the extra money for weapons. What would you recommend for a budget of $100 (including some ammo of course)?

Who said anything about a motor? It is a sailboat isn't it? Braveheart, our new trusty vessel had a dead motor (Atomic powered I think), that's why it was so cheap. I hauled that sucker out pronto. Lot more room for kibble and stuff where the motor was.

About that midnight grill shopping, is that guy likely to be armed???
I am happy to help, I have circumnavigated both Kent Island and Dobbins Island (the latter you can read about it Jon Boat quarterly). Regarding anchors, there are often helpful cruisers already anchored who don't mind if you clip onto their anchor rope (called a "road" if you want to use the proper lingo). Simply carry any climber type clip and some rope. Always make sure to clip in tight.

Regarding guns, think outside the box - do you have a friend you can borrow from? A good friend will typically loan his gun out. For $100 though, I'd recommend a Lorcin 25 auto, they are legendary for their precision, they just "work". Often time though, simply waving an American flag and shouting that you are an American and have rights works very well. Use your best judgement

Fair sailing and following weather!
ShoalFinder likes this.
Old 12-13-2012

jackdale will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post

And carry lots of anchors if you intend to anchor fairly often.
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
ASA 201, 203, 204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)