Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree39Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-13-2012

scottbr is on a distinguished road
Re: What to do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by killarney_sailor View Post
Hey, life is getting pretty boring, so I decided to buy a sailboat and sail around the world. I know the people here are really smart and could give me good advice on a couple of questions I have.

I wish I had your boring life.......

I take it you're not making it to the Toronto Boat Show this year...
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-13-2012

ShoalFinder is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisncate View Post
For $100 though, I'd recommend a Lorcin 25 auto, they are legendary for their precision, they just "work".
Would you care to substantiate this claim? Better than a Davis, you say? According to whom? With match grade ammo maybe, but I have it on good third hand info that Lorcin is using the original Rossi molds but cheaped out on the alloy.

I would put it like this:

Davis
Rossi
Lorcin

Granted, plenty of people are happy with their Rossi and if you like to see old molds being used then I guess a Davis would take care of a pirate. But I'd pay for a survey before I used it.
Old 12-13-2012
prwg, NOW!

chrisncate is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShoalFinder View Post
Would you care to substantiate this claim? Better than a Davis, you say? According to whom? With match grade ammo maybe, but I have it on good third hand info that Lorcin is using the original Rossi molds but cheaped out on the alloy.

I would put it like this:

Davis
Rossi
Lorcin

Granted, plenty of people are happy with their Rossi and if you like to see old molds being used then I guess a Davis would take care of a pirate. But I'd pay for a survey before I used it.
Lorcin, Davis... Rossi.. they're all very fine firearms, I chose the Lorcin because they're rated water resistant to a depth of 300' (good for underwater hunting).
ShoalFinder likes this.
Old 12-13-2012

nolatom will become famous soon enough

Yeah, those Atomic-powered motors really do keep the price down, even if you don't use them. And I've been using them since I was a kid, so I should know.
Old 12-13-2012

T37Chef will become famous soon enough

Don't forget to flip your navigation lights when sailing below that equator thingy
jrd22 likes this.
Old 12-13-2012

jackdale will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by T37Chef View Post
Don't forget to flip your navigation lights when sailing below that equator thingy
I thought that that was when you switched from System B to System A.

Speaking of navigation lights. When you are below sleeping remember to hoist two red lights at night and 2 black balls during the day. Actually with your purported sailing knowledge and skills just leave those lights and shapes up at all times.
chef2sail likes this.
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
ASA 201, 203, 204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
Old 12-16-2012

multiboat is on a distinguished road

Great starter article. Thinking of doing the same, but no sail boat yet. Need to get down from the Midwest, via Illinois River & Mississippi to get to the Gulf.
Old 12-16-2012

multiboat is on a distinguished road

Oh yeah, the Pirate thing. What's the reality to all that? I'm sure some of you have been victims, but whats the best way to handle that....guns, amount of cash carried, etc???
Old 12-17-2012

ShoalFinder is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by multiboat View Post
Oh yeah, the Pirate thing. What's the reality to all that? I'm sure some of you have been victims, but whats the best way to handle that....guns, amount of cash carried, etc???
The pirate thing. The best way to handle pirates is to be the first over the side. If blood is going to be spilled, better to do it on their boat and not yours. Besides, pirates can't take your boat if they never make it on board, that's what I always say.

By the time the pirates come up alongside, our halyards have already been strung from the spreaders and weapons made ready. As soon as the hooks come over and the pirates draw nigh, we send the first wave (my wife and kids) over. Hit 'em first, I always say.

The question always comes up about how to swing on a halyard and keep your sword secure at the same time. It's embarrassing to swing across to another vessel, only to arrive empty handed because your sword fell in the drink. Talk about a red face! Orthodontists aren't cheap, so holding the blade of the sword in your teeth isn't optimal. I tried splitting a pool noodle and slipping it over the spine of the blade, but only my wife has a mouth big enough to chomp down on a pool noodle.

I came up with a solution for my kids one night while carrying my son to bed. You only have to step on a Lego barefooted once to realize the potential for sheer horror that Legos can inflict upon the unwary. When my kids swing across, they wear fanny packs full of Legos, which they then scatter around the deck of the pirate brigantine. Since pirates are warm-water sailors, they sail barefooted like everyone else down here. What they don't count on is that my crew wear flip flops, so we are impervious to the Legos! Take that, scaliwags!

As to the question of carrying cash: we don't. With the impending collapse of worldwide banking systems, bank notes are going to be worthless anyway. Our plan is to make port in 3rd world countries where my kids can get jobs making shoes and clothes for wealthy liberals who pretend they don't use sweatshops. Hell, it's all good commerce if you ask me. What else would you do with those dirtly little urchins besides put them to work? Keep 'em off the street, I always say.
jameswilson29 and utchuckd like this.

Last edited by ShoalFinder; 12-17-2012 at 08:07 AM.
Old 12-17-2012

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough

I'm appalled that not one of the so called experts here has addressed several things you need to bone up on.
Here's a couple things I found out when taking my Hobbie 16 on a trans atlantic

Fishing - Use the floaty type rope to hold the bait (taking the dog will save on wear an tear on the kids, good thought).
You'll want at least a 8 foot boat hook for pulling in the shark with.
Sun dried fish can be quite good- don't worry about fuel for the stove.

Kelp and seaweed is a delicacy in Japan.

Water can be a bit of a problem if you don't think ahead - a shower curtain is useful to both catch and hold water. Check out the "still" thread here as well.

Often you will find that when you go into restaurants and bars to cadge free meals and booze - they will have charts just laying around on tables being used as place mats. They aren't very good on detail but make up for it with colorful cartoons.

My second boat was a Hunter 31 - here's a tip - when the carpet on the walls has finally rotted off and peeled away you will want to use black paint to replace it. Otherwise the sun shines through the fiberglass and it's hard to sleep during the day time.
Also, with the Hunter you won't need to worry about pirates - just out sail them.

You ARE going to need some way of making electricity (for the ipod/ipad and kids toys) - Read up on the solar stick thread here then go out and make your own - it just takes a 2x4 and some lag bolts. Here's a good tip - lots of folks on mooring balls leave these small flexible panels laying on their decks, they don't want them (that's why they left them out). Borrow them at night when they aren't hot.

As to learning other languages - why? You obviously speak English already?
chef2sail and ShoalFinder like this.