Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree39Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-18-2012

ShoalFinder is on a distinguished road
Re: What to do?

Because I'm going to sail the other way around and go back in time.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-18-2012
Da Most Educated Red Neck

rockDAWG is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by killarney_sailor View Post
What to do?
Well.... Captain, I am getting bored too.

I think you are trying to put the Cart Before the Horse...

Why do you need a gun or anchor? You need to put your boat at the finger dock just like everyone else. Sitting on dock and connecting to Sailnet and enjoying the view for a few years to earn your due, when there is no current and wind, you can venture out the harbor with your motor. If you want to go thru Kent Narrows or god forbid Knapps Narrows, make sure you plan ahead like a month earlier and let the local Lions to guide you thru. The friendly folks here will even give you their 24/7 phone number. This is not becasue they think you were a moron, they are just stand up guys with special knowledge. . They care about your safety and there were no hidden agendas on their part, honest.

If you have not settled for a boat yet, make sure your boat is smaller and older than others. Don't even think about buying a production boat, get a old boat from a company who has gone out a businesses for a few decades. The big porthole and wide cockpit are a big NO NO when come to sailing. You need tiny porthole and a pigeon hole cockpit to be safe. Can you imagine in a heavy sea, the wind will ripe the big window apart. In a roomy cockpit, you could be drown in there. Only buy what they have is the Key.

One more thing, before you sail, please submit an application to Sailnet committee for approval. They don't want you to endanger other people or their boats. If you follow the rules, you will be fine.

Hope this helps!!!

Fine Print:
I read, I think, and I act independently; I don't come here to win a popular contest on Sailnet, nor I am here for hookup. I come here to learn, be challenged and be inspired in the art of sailing the big Ponds. I am NOT afraid of drowning in the sea, but I am afraid of dying in a nursing home and burdening those who I love.
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.

Last edited by rockDAWG; 12-18-2012 at 01:50 PM.
Old 12-18-2012

ctl411 is on a distinguished road

Come on guys you have this fishing thing all wrong. You drag yourself behind the boat then use a bangstick to kill the fish. Haven't you guys seen the documentary WATERWORLD.
Old 12-19-2012
Water Lover

Location: New Mexico, USA (Heron, Elephant Butte lakes); Arizona (Lake Pleasant)
rgscpat is on a distinguished road

More great advice for a smooth journey:
-- Don't forget to paint all of your bananas with a solid layer of Vaseline to preserve them longer.
-- Make sure you have enough red, white, and green electricity for your nav lights.
-- Discount-stores offer inflatable rafts for as little as $20; these are a huge savings compared to over-priced "life rafts" sold in boat stores. Just don't forget to throw in a bag of pretzels and a six-pack of beer for your "abandon ship bag".
-- The best way to get a good night's sleep at sea is to have a nice wide foredeck berth, where the extra motion near the bow will rock you to sleep.
-- Set your cockpit up with plugs in the drains and a pump that will fill it with water so you can take baths often. You can heat the water by lighting off flares and dumping them in.
-- If your boat's "lifelines" (not the palm reader ones in your hand) look a little old, vinyl-coated clothesline makes a great upgrade replacement.
-- For countries in the middle east, Christian tracts and religious literature are a great way to make friends with port officials and get things done faster.
-- Port officials in Singapore, however, really love to receive Penthouse magazines; they'll unlock all sorts of doors for you.
-- Don't bother getting any local money in countries you visit; the REAL money from your own country is so much better and more appreciated.
-- You can make lots of lifelong friends in other countries by telling them how to fix their countries.
-- Sometimes foreigners pretend they don't understand you, but they'll straighten out if you talk much louder and point at them more.
-- Pesky officials will quit making problems for you if you simply remind them that your rights are better than theirs and you know how to use all of your automatic pistols on board.
-- Swimming from your boat in the middle of the ocean is lots of fun; in salt water your body is so buoyant that you won't need to let down a swim ladder.
Old 12-19-2012
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road

Lots and lots of good advice. Thanks.
Old 12-19-2012
KNOT KNOWN

Capt.aaron is on a distinguished road

I still don't understand why one would want to sail around the world since you are already here, however, It seems to me, if you just hug the coast line real close it would be a lot safer. As I look at my atlas, I see you can practically drive to England from the East coast of the states via Nova Scotia, a short hop to Green Land, Ice land etc. I don't sea any place on my Globe that has a very big distance of open ocean from a Land mass if you follow the contours. like all the white colored land on the top and bottom of the planet. Why all these big ocean crossings are so popular I can't fathom. Look at the Pacific, just cross from Siberia to Alaska, I hear you can see one from the other. Saftey first at sea I say.
steve77 and ShoalFinder like this.
Old 12-19-2012

ShoalFinder is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.aaron View Post
I still don't understand why one would want to sail around the world since you are already here, however, It seems to me, if you just hug the coast line real close it would be a lot safer. As I look at my atlas, I see you can practically drive to England from the East coast of the states via Nova Scotia, a short hop to Green Land, Ice land etc. I don't sea any place on my Globe that has a very big distance of open ocean from a Land mass if you follow the contours. like all the white colored land on the top and bottom of the planet. Why all these big ocean crossings are so popular I can't fathom. Look at the Pacific, just cross from Siberia to Alaska, I hear you can see one from the other. Saftey first at sea I say.

FANTASTIC ADVICE!

I don't know why hugging the coast never occurred to me on my circnav. Now that I think about it, why the hell does everyone take the longest open ocean route by following the equator? Crap on that. I'm going to do it north / south. I figure you can hug the coast of north america until it becomes south america. jump across to antartica and sail around to the other side, then jump up the coast of some island like australia for example. You can do this all the way up the back side of the globe and over the top, arriving back in nova scotia.

Now that i see you can circumnavigate by coastal cruising, my Morgan 22 should be just fine. I have a bimini, so that will catch rain. I can poke a hole in the top and let it drain down into my water bucket, just as an emergency backup in case three or four cases of gatorade don't make it.
Old 12-19-2012
Tundra Down

downeast450 is on a distinguished road

This is a humbling thread. I didn't know how much I didn't know I didn't know or misunderstood. It is back to square one. 50+ years of experience on the water and I have been doing so much either wrong or the hard way.

Thanks to everyone for this education. Jack, can I get a certificate for reading all this vital stuff?

Down
Capt.aaron likes this.
Old 12-19-2012
KNOT KNOWN

Capt.aaron is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShoalFinder View Post
FANTASTIC ADVICE!

I don't know why hugging the coast never occurred to me on my circnav. Now that I think about it, why the @#!*% does everyone take the longest open ocean route by following the equator? Crap on that. I'm going to do it north / south. I figure you can hug the coast of north america until it becomes south america. jump across to antartica and sail around to the other side, then jump up the coast of some island like australia for example. You can do this all the way up the back side of the globe and over the top, arriving back in nova scotia.

Now that i see you can circumnavigate by coastal cruising, my Morgan 22 should be just fine. I have a bimini, so that will catch rain. I can poke a hole in the top and let it drain down into my water bucket, just as an emergency backup in case three or four cases of gatorade don't make it.
I know, Exactly my point. Throw a big bag of lentils and wheat berry's and you can eat fresh sprouts the whole way. If you do it right you may end up with more food on board than you left with, Fill your cockpit with soil and plant some corn, Dry half the kernals for replanting later. Ground up the fresh kernal's into flour and make tortillas. This is the only way to get all the nutrients you will need from the corn. Another great source of protien, take along a pregnant pig. You can surgically remove legs and parts with out sluaghter, untill the off spring are of size and continue this from generation to generation. It's a bit morbid I know, but it's how sailors of day's gone by did it. Worked for them and should work for you. I never tire of fresh pulled pork tacos, add some pickled habanoro peppers and you should never have to pull in to resupply.
Old 12-19-2012
Tundra Down

downeast450 is on a distinguished road

Let us not forget, navigation by contrail!

Down