Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-14-2012

sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about
Re: Lifesling or Horseshoe for MOB

Quote:
The Life-Sling does not meet this requirement.
Are you sure about this? I would have to go and look for the tag on our Sling, but according to various web sites, it does meet USGC Requirements.

From the West Marine web page...
Quote:
USCG Type: Type V which substitutes for a Type IV
From Landfall Navigation...
Quote:
Lifesling Man Overboard Recovery System USCG/A! Type IV
Good Boat Gear . com...
Quote:
USCG Type V PFD which can take the place of a type IV throwable life-ring or horseshoe buoy
Defender..
Quote:
USCG Type: Type V which substitutes for a Type IV
I know you can't believe everything you read on the internet, but they all say USGC Approved. Like I said, I check for the tag (In the spring).

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most - E.B. White
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-14-2012
Sailing Junkie

ehmanta is on a distinguished road

My stern is quite narrow too, so instead of a horseshoe bouy, we have several throwable cushions usually lying around in the cockpit plus a lifesling on the rail. I am getting ready to build a MOB pole to have at the ready as well.
Tartan 37-C, #59
Old 12-14-2012
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailortjk1 View Post
Are you sure about this? I would have to go and look for the tag on our Sling, but according to various web sites, it does meet USGC Requirements.

From the West Marine web page...

From Landfall Navigation...

Good Boat Gear . com...

Defender..

I know you can't believe everything you read on the internet, but they all say USGC Approved. Like I said, I check for the tag (In the spring).
Straight from the horses (CG's) mouth during a safety training at our Club (unless the local Coasties are misinformed). Further, however, have you ever tried to throw or heave one with the flotation/recovery line attached? It doesn't work too well particularly compared with a flotation cushion, throwable/inflatable device or even horse-shoe buoy when someone goes overboard unless the yacht's stationary. Even at only 4 knots, one is 100+ feet from a MOB if it takes someone else only 15 seconds to realize what's happened and respond appropriately. Different ships, different long splices however.
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Old 12-14-2012
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough

As to whether a Lifesling meets the USCG Type IV requirement, I would reply on what is printed on a specific device...if the device states "USCG Approved Type IV" with an approval number, OK. If it says "..Approved TYPE V.." I would not count on that substituting for a Type IV until someone provides the CFR which states that.

Of course this is all legalese about a requirement, anyone can see that a LifeSling doesn't serve as a practical throwing device, shame on a bumbling bureaucrat if it does substitute for a Type IV. I personally keep several Type IV cushions about in the cockpit, and encourage the helmsperson to sit on one, so the throwable device is maximally available, should one need to be thrown.
chef2sail likes this.

Last edited by sailingfool; 12-14-2012 at 02:19 PM.
Old 12-14-2012

paul323 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
We have a MOB pole, A lifesling and a Horseshoe. That does take a lot of room, but what the hell. The grill is on a support stanchion for the stern rail and can be swung out.

Dave
Ditto - except for the grill. My lifesling has a strobe; I intent to make a drogue.

As commented, horseshoe and lifesling are for different purposes. The horseshoe is designed to the thrown to the person, providing flotation and visibility; it can be thrown quite a distance (try it!). A lifesling is for retrieval. Depending on where you are, the water may be cold, so you have to assume the person cannot climb on board. Thus the lifesling.

My club did a real MOB day - by real I mean with a guy (in a wetsuit) in the water. It is really an awesome experience to try these techniques for real. A few learnings:

- Lifesling offers a choice of tackle, with different mechanical advantage. As I recall mine is a 6:1, requiring a winch. Works really well IF you know how to rig it (halyard-jib block-winch). Dealing with a real emergency is not the time to work it out.
- The instructor swore by a small strap under the lifesling - makes it easier and more comfortable to get somebody out of the water. She used a neoprene dog lead.
- Some people were a little dismissive about my pole - until we deployed it. It was simple and fantastically visible.
- Apparently a strobe is a two-edged sword. At night it enables you to locate people, but as you bring the person close the flashing light actually becomes blinding and distracting to the rescuers.
- In the SF bay, the biggest cause of drowning is no life jacket (duh), but also "cold water shock" - a psychological reaction to the shock of falling overboard. Apparently over 50% who fall overboard will just sit there, no shouting, no waving....quietly succumbing.
- If you are short of space, consider a good throw rope in a bag. They can be clipped to the rail and thrown a long way!
Old 12-14-2012
Da Most Educated Red Neck

rockDAWG is on a distinguished road

I prefer a throw-able seat cushion to the horseshoe thingy. It is easier to throw and more accurate to land on the intended spot. Life sling is a must to retrieve the victim, especially in the short handed situation.

Whatever your preferences, a routine practice is a must to minimize the unpredictables. Safety must come first.

Fine Print:
I read, I think, and I act independently; I don't come here to win a popular contest on Sailnet, nor I am here for hookup. I come here to learn, be challenged and be inspired in the art of sailing the big Ponds. I am NOT afraid of drowning in the sea, but I am afraid of dying in a nursing home and burdening those who I love.
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.
Old 12-14-2012

blutoyz is on a distinguished road

Great thread...
This gave me an introduction to the lifesling, I now plan this as must have as well as throwable cushions for safety equipment. All we had when I was a kid was a rope to a ring (not really much different I know) but I like the easy deploy bag.

Thanks
Old 12-14-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockDAWG View Post
I prefer a throw-able seat cushion to the horseshoe thingy. It is easier to throw and more accurate to land on the intended spot. Life sling is a must to retrieve the victim, especially in the short handed situation.

Whatever your preferences, a routine practice is a must to minimize the unpredictables. Safety must come first.
We do two MOB drills every year and even deploy our Lifesling. Our SOP is to throw everything floatable ( sans human) in the cockpit. First the floatable cushions with straps as they are all aorund and they can juyst be dropped overboard. The the MOB pole, Has anyone tried to throw those blue squares with a 12 knot breeze. They go nowhere, so the next thing thrown is the big yellow horseshoe which has enough weight to the cut through the brreze and goes a long distance. Compare the two sometime. By the time you throw this you are some distance away usually too.

The lifesling doesnt throw well at all, its too light, but it is the retrival system. If you have never practiced with it you should. These are not for display purposes. You dont want to have to figure this out uder the gun in real life.

What has worked best for us is to have the sling under the person arms and use the jib winches to plull them close to the boat. At this point we have three options on our boat. 1- If the dinghy is not in the davits, we can use the 6:1 tackle there ( our davits can easily handle 250 lbs a piece as they are 11/4 inch tubes). Second if the dinghy is in the davits, we have a Garhauer radar pole with 6:1 detachable engine hoist ( stored in the lazzarette folded) which take 1 minute to hook onto the radar pole and deploy. Radar pole can handle 800 lbs. The third option is to bring the MOB to the strarboard quarter of the boat right under the jib winch using the winch. Take the lifesling line, over the boom ( under our sail it is a loose footed one) and put it around the port jib winch. Swing the boom easing the mainsheet over the starboard side and crank the winch raising the victim above the toerail. This actually heels the boat making the distance shorter to use the winch the swing the boom back into the boat. If the person is heavy like me it may be necessary to run a line. or tackle boom vang from the port side around the boom to pull back to amidships, but so far we have been able to no use that method.

I suggest those with slings try and practice at least once with an object during each season. YOoud be suprised how difficult to get the person on deck with the freeboard the boats have.

As Rockdawg said
Quote:
Whatever your preferences, a routine practice is a must to minimize the unpredictables. Safety must come first
Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner

Last edited by chef2sail; 12-14-2012 at 01:34 PM.
Old 12-14-2012
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul323 View Post
... .. In the SF bay, the biggest cause of drowning is no life jacket (duh), but also "cold water shock" - a psychological reaction to the shock of falling overboard. Apparently over 50% who fall overboard will just sit there, no shouting, no waving....quietly succumbing...
Also my understanding is that older adults have a high chance of physical shock related to heart dysfunction from sudden immersion in cold water, regardless of how otherwise healthy they may be. Thus the auto-inflatable should always be part the kit of every well dressed older sailor (and not a bad idea for younger, who of course get more leeway on stupid...)
Old 12-14-2012
Da Most Educated Red Neck

rockDAWG is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingfool View Post
Also my understanding is that older adults have a high chance of physical shock related to heart dysfunction from sudden immersion in cold water, regardless of how otherwise healthy they may be. Thus the auto-inflatable should always be part the kit of every well dressed older sailor (and not a bad idea for younger, who of course get more leeway on stupid...)
Don't fall off the boat. Tethering, tethering and tethering.

I once crewed with a Captain. He said: You all ladies, I am not going to turn around to pick you up. He then threw a sheet of paper towel into water. He asked: Do you see the paper towel? No, just less than 30 sec. The paper is gone.

MOB always happens in the worst moment, it never happens in a calm sea. He is not joking.

Fine Print:
I read, I think, and I act independently; I don't come here to win a popular contest on Sailnet, nor I am here for hookup. I come here to learn, be challenged and be inspired in the art of sailing the big Ponds. I am NOT afraid of drowning in the sea, but I am afraid of dying in a nursing home and burdening those who I love.
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.