Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-14-2012
Sundance 23

carl762 is on a distinguished road
Re: Lifesling or Horseshoe for MOB

I own two lifeslings, got rid of the horseshoe, and have an orange ring which is coming back onto the boat. Never gave much thought to the weight of the lifesling. Love this forum.

I need to install my jackline and use the harness religiously. Going to pick up couple more harnesses for my passengers. Good thing we got bonuses yesterday. Going to get the harnesses tomorrow.
Old 12-15-2012

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by carl762 View Post

I need to install my jackline and use the harness religiously. Going to pick up couple more harnesses for my passengers. Good thing we got bonuses yesterday. Going to get the harnesses tomorrow.
I'd think twice before bothering with jacklines on a boat smaller than 30, or even 35 feet...

I think a far more effective setup, is to have tethers fixed at the base of the mast, long enough to reach the forward part of the cockpit, that you can clip onto before going on deck. Chances are that length will allow you to go the bow, as well. I have another tether ready on the foredeck as well, where you'd generally most appreciate additional security, anyway. You really want to have a ready cleat on the mast, giving the ability to shorten up the tether when at the mast - mine's right at chest level, affording me the ability to comfortably have both hands free when reefing, etc...

While I do have jacklines on my own 30-footer as well, I virtually never use them, feeling that the fixed tethers afford FAR more security, and are much easier to use... Jacklines really only make sense on much larger boats than yours, or when more than one person is going forward, but still - the jackline setups on most of the boats I get on generally leave a LOT to be desired, and on all but the largest of boats, I usually wind up cobbling together some form of the fixed tether setup I've described...
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-15-2012
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul323 View Post
Some people were a little dismissive about my pole - until we deployed it.
Yeah, I get that a lot too.

The worst is when you panic in the middle of the action and mix up the horse-shoe and the bbq grill. Let's just say the mother-in-law was NOT happy.
jrd22, chef2sail and hurricanehole like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 12-15-2012
formerly posting as eryka

wingNwing is on a distinguished road

The lifesling is designed to remain fastened to the boat as you circle the MOB to pick him/her up. The throwable is separate from the boat, stays in the water hopefully near the person while you circle back. In the process you're likely to get farther away from the MOB than the 100 feet or so of lifesling line, before you return. Two different items for two diferent purposes. If someone's in the water, immediately litter the area with throwable and and floating cushions your boat has, to increase your chances of seeing them when you've circled back.

Many people practice retrieving a thrown hat, piece of bread, or cushion. Next time you're anchored in a calm, warm cove, have one member of your party jump in and pretend to be limp weight as you winch them up with your lifesling.
jrd22, Faster and chef2sail like this.

Cinderella, CSY 33, Photo by Joe McCary

Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable. - Sidney J. Harris

Shameless self-promotion - my blog for the Annapolis Capital newspaper:
still has some glitches to be worked out. Until then, I'm posting at:
and
! And a new project:
Old 12-15-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Yeah, I get that a lot too.

The worst is when you panic in the middle of the action and mix up the horse-shoe and the bbq grill. Let's just say the mother-in-law was NOT happy.
Thats gotta to be a concern of Crusindad too. Man if he threw his grill at a MOB he just have breakdown. Then he really have to learn how to cook..on a stovetop...in a saute pan...

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner

Last edited by chef2sail; 12-15-2012 at 10:52 AM.
Old 12-15-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingNwing View Post

Many people practice retrieving a thrown hat, piece of bread, or cushion. Next time you're anchored in a calm, warm cove, have one member of your party jump in and pretend to be limp weight as you winch them up with your lifesling.
Totally agree

When we do this every year is a huge reality check on the weight and difficulty bring someone on board is.

We usually do this up in Worton Creek when we go swimming.

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 12-15-2012
Courtney the Dancer

jrd22 will become famous soon enough

There has always been something that bothers me about the normal lifesling/horseshoe/ring MOB procedure. It seems unnecessarily complicated which is exactly what you want to avoid in an emergency. I've never understood why it's acceptable to expect the MOB to have to get out of a horseshoe or ring and get themselves into the lifesling horseshoe while panicked, possibly injured, in rough water and, in our area, suffering from hypothermia. I want something available (and USCG approved) to throw (throws well, even into wind) that will ultimately be what is used to winch them out of the water. Getting a line attached to it once the boat is close enough should only involve the MOB having to attach a snap on the end of a floating line. I also don't want to have to open a container of any kind to get to it. Manufacturers?

For getting back on the boat I have a long shackle permanently attached to the end fitting on the boom and a large snap shackle available to put on it to run the retrieval line through, then another snap shackle on a padeye on deck to feed to the sheet winch. Works on either side of the cockpit.
smurphny likes this.

1988 Brewer 40 Pilothouse

Old 12-15-2012
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

A couple of years back we had a wicked Easter storm roll through a fairly major local race fleet.. long known as a possible 'gear buster', the race was actually called (first time in its history) Several vessels damaged, one swamped with people in the water. All were rescued through the utter heroics of a nearby crew, themselves in distress with huge seas and 50K winds. One of the MOBs had been in the water a while, was nearly comotose and unable to help himself and it took the entire crew over 20 minutes to get him aboard once they were alongside (a J30 - not exactly esp. high freeboard)

As far as I know this crew was never properly recognized for their selfless action..

MOB drills are a good idea and important, but that episode certainly brings home the difference between a benign condition practice and the 'real' thing. Magnitudes of difficulty apart. What John (jrd) is proposing is really important.. a simple, instinctive, quick to deploy method/apparatus/plan for such occasions.. is there really such a thing?

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)

Last edited by Faster; 12-15-2012 at 11:52 AM.
Old 12-15-2012
Courtney the Dancer

jrd22 will become famous soon enough

IIRC, wasn't your son in that race Ron?

1988 Brewer 40 Pilothouse

Old 12-15-2012

flyingwelshman will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
That is correct. A lifering with 15 meters of buoyant line attached is required on vessels over 9 meters.

Equipment - Transport Canada
Would a Lifesling be classified as a 'lifebuoy'?

The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever. - Jacques Yves Cousteau