SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Lifesling or Horseshoe for MOB (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/94955-lifesling-horseshoe-mob.html)

mm2187 12-13-2012 08:45 PM

Lifesling or Horseshoe for MOB

I am looking to see what most people keep on their stern rail for a MOB situation. I currently have both but am beginning to think having both might be overkill. What are you thoughts and what do you carry.

pdqaltair 12-13-2012 08:56 PM

Re: Lifesling or Horseshoe for MOB

Sounds perfect; one is to throw in the water while the boat sails away, the other is to get them to the boat and on board. They are not the same thing. Have you ever done an in-the-water MOB drill? Do that first. No fair using the boarding ladder, as it won't work in big waves.

msmith10 12-13-2012 09:27 PM

I do the same. I suppose it's overkill unless you have to use them. My reasoning is exactly what pdq said. The horseshoe can be thrown quickly and keep the MOB afloat until I get back with the lifesling.

SchockT 12-13-2012 10:12 PM

I have a very narrow transom, and therefore not a lot of space on the rail. The ring is just too big, so I have a lifesling that is tethered to a MOB pole. The lifesling can be thrown to the victim just like a life ring (except it won't knock him out if it hits him!), and then the pole is deployed to mark his position. If the sling doesn't get to the swimmer he can find it by getting to the pole. Once you circle around to retrieve the MOB all you have to do is grab the pole, and hopefully the swimmer is already floating in the sling and ready to be hoisted aboard if necessary.

That's the theory anyway. To be honest we haven't yet tested it out. We really should do a MOB drill!

chef2sail 12-13-2012 10:18 PM

We have a MOB pole, A lifesling and a Horseshoe. That does take a lot of room, but what the hell. The grill is on a support stanchion for the stern rail and can be swung out.

Dave

Faster 12-13-2012 10:22 PM

I don't believe in Canada a horseshoe will 'qualify' you for safety gear.. has to be a ring.

sailortjk1 12-14-2012 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chef2sail (Post 961286)
We have a MOB pole, A lifesling and a Horseshoe. That does take a lot of room, but what the hell. The grill is on a support stanchion for the stern rail and can be swung out.

Dave

Same with us.
Our MOB Pole is attached to the Horse Shoe, along with a Strobe, a Whistle, and a small Drogue.
Also on the stern rail is 100' of polypropylene heaving line.
And yes, we too still have room for the grill.
(all of the above with the exception of the grill :) are requirements of ORR which the Chi-Mac uses)

jackdale 12-14-2012 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Faster (Post 961288)
I don't believe in Canada a horseshoe will 'qualify' you for safety gear.. has to be a ring.

That is correct. A lifering with 15 meters of buoyant line attached is required on vessels over 9 meters.

Equipment - Transport Canada

svHyLyte 12-14-2012 11:34 AM

For what its worth, to meet U.S. Coast Guard requirements, a boat must have a U.S. Coast Guard-approved Type I, II, III, or V life jacket for each person aboard. Boats 16 feet and over must have at least one Type IV throwable device as well. The Life-Sling does not meet this requirement.

We carry a throwable horse-shore life-ring in a mount as well as a standard Life-Sling which is a recovery device. We also have a throwable inflatable device that can be heaved quite a long way and inflates once immersed. We also have a number of flotation cushions with straps in the cockpit that meet the Type IV Throwable device requirement but are also useful back/butt rests when not otherwise needed. When someone goes in the water, one wants more than a single throwable flotation device. BTDT...

remetau 12-14-2012 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chef2sail (Post 961286)
We have a MOB pole, A lifesling and a Horseshoe. That does take a lot of room, but what the hell.

Same here.