SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Books by Sailors (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/95007-books-sailors.html)

LarryandSusanMacDonald 12-16-2012 11:22 AM

Books by Sailors

Recently, a gentleman e-mailed me asking if I would post a link on Frugal Mariner to a novel he had written about sailing. He even sent me a copy of the book, which I dutifully read. A difficult read; it was not my style, but I could imagine others might like it.

It got me thinking that I could do a page on Frugal Mariner about sailing books which sailor types have written. We have several friends who have written books and I am going to post those. But it would be a short page.

I am sure that at least a few of you have published a sailing book, and even more have friends who have.

If you could post them here, including Title, author, synopsis and where they can be purchased, I'll give them all a plug. (No charge, of course, just supporting fellow boaters.)

Frugal Mariner gets close to 300 visitors a day, and while not as huge as SailNet, the posts stay visible and don't drop out of sight after a few weeks.

Thanks!

timangiel 12-16-2012 07:16 PM

Re: Books by Sailors

There is a book titled "Confessions of a long distance sailor" by Paul Lutus. It is an account of the author's solo circumnavigation. It was a very easy read, I enjoyed it very much, and best of all it is a free download. * Confessions Online

If anyone knows of any other books simular to this one, let me know. I am always looking for a new book to read.

floridajaxsailor 12-16-2012 07:21 PM

A fair wind and plenty if it

written by great friend Rigel Crockett

LarryandSusanMacDonald 12-17-2012 11:18 AM

floridajaxsailor - Where can one purchase it?

DonScribner 12-17-2012 12:48 PM

This would be a shameless plug.

James L. Nelson. Long time friend. Grew my first hangover in his mom's living room, sometime in the 70's. He sailed on Lady Washington for 7 years. Curse of the Black Pearl, the Interceptor anyone? Married another sailor (SHE's real nice) and started writing historical nautical fiction and nonfiction. He has a dozen or so books out there available wherever fine books are sold. He's been on History Channel, Discovery Channel and others.

Great guy, real character, likes beer.

LarryandSusanMacDonald 12-22-2012 01:43 PM

In five days, 3 is all you guys and gals can come up with?

Consider this a formal chastisement if you have as chance to plug a fellow sailor's book and don't.

priscilla 12-22-2012 02:02 PM

New Book: "France to France-Leave Antarctica to Starboard" by Rich Wilson....The Vandee Globe around the world race.

LarryandSusanMacDonald 12-23-2012 08:40 AM

Thanks, Priscilla. Where can it be purchased?

Copter808 12-23-2012 01:36 PM

How about "Days of Deja vu" by Jonathan Reid. Certainly not new, but a great read. Available through Amazon as an e-Book.

Livia 12-26-2012 07:59 PM

Perhaps you meant self-published books but you said sailing books by sailors so two excellent books are: