SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   New Horizons 26? Swing keel fixed in up position? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/95066-new-horizons-26-swing-keel-fixed-up-position.html)

forvirret 12-18-2012 11:25 PM

New Horizons 26? Swing keel fixed in up position?

I've been surfing SailNet for a while and learning a lot, but now I have a question...or two.

I'm finally going to purchase my own boat to live aboard. I've found a New Horizons 26 that needs some work, but it's available for the right price. Sadly, there were only 175 of these made by Ray Greene in Toledo, OH. It's been difficult to find information, remodel jobs or just a general review of how they sail. If anyone has heard of or sailed a New Horizons 26, let me know what you think.

Also, regarding swing keels, it appears that the centerboard on this sailboat has been glassed into the keel. Should this be of concern?

Thank you in advance!

CalebD 12-19-2012 04:56 PM

Re: New Horizons 26? Swing keel fixed in up position?

Never heard of this boat before but...
NEW HORIZONS 26 sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com
It is designed by Sparkman & Stephens, as is my Tartan 27', and, as such very much resembles my T27 in hull shape, center board design, keel stepped mast etc.

This boat should sail fine without the center board BUT it will not point into the wind as well without the center board. The cutaway forefoot full keel makes the boat hold her course quite well.

Where do you plan on sailing her?

Do you still have the original Atomic 4 engine in her? If so, you should also join the Moyer Marine forum for all your Atomic 4 questions.
Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians - Powered by vBulletin

Welcome to Sailnut!

forvirret 12-19-2012 10:14 PM

Yes, the Tartan came out shortly after the New Horizons and Greene sort of blames the Tartan's success for his lack of sales. It looks like a good boat to me though, even without a functioning centerboard.

I currently live on the Great Lakes, but I plan on sailing her in the ocean eventually. She does still have the Atomic 4, though I have no idea if it runs. I don't think it's been started for at least 10 years. My friend has a Pearson Ariel 26, which came with an Atomic 4, so hopefully he'll be able to help me get her started. I'll definitely check out the group though. Thank you.

Now I just have to figure out what to do about sails. I was hoping that I wouldn't have to custom order, but maybe I can find some sails that are close enough.

CalebD 12-19-2012 11:16 PM

At 6000#s it is a fairly heavy boat compared to many other 26 footers but I'd rather be on your NH 26' in a blow on a Great Lake than on the others. The weight and keel shape help it deal with some chop, swell and breeze. You should consider reefing the sails at or before 20 knots of wind and then it can handle more wind and ride flatter.

Yes, the Douglass & McLeod yard in Fairport (?) Ohio made close to 800 T27 hulls starting around 1963. Some of the old T27's are still around and mine is from 1967. Many T27's still have working A4 motors in them 40 years later. They are hard to kill and the Moyer forum is the place to go if you have any issues.

As for sails, a newly made set of Dacron sails will certainly cost at least $3K. Looking at the prices for some used sails that would fit my boat at: Bacon Sails & Marine Supplies
I could probably get new-ish sails for closer to $1K. They don't have your New Horizons 26' model listed but from the rig measurements (I, J, P, E etc) you should be able to come up with some reasonable matches.

We bought a new main sail just over a year ago from Rolly Tasker (thesailwarehouse.com). It was custom made of their better grade of Dacron with full battened main, loose footed, 2 reef points and it came to $1800. This outfit fabricates the sails in Thailand but has sales offices in the US. A local hot-shot sail loft quoted us nearly $1K more than we ended up paying. Moral issues aside I am quite happy with our new main even if it was made overseas.

saltfree 03-27-2013 01:27 AM

I am the proud owner of a crusty old 1968 New Horizons 26-- unfortunately it needs more money put into it than I am willing to spend on reviving it- pretty badly neglected by previous owner. But "Boomer"s still a blast to sail!