Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-19-2012

SayGudday is on a distinguished road
Maps of Marinas

Gudday & Ahoy!

Does anyone out there know of a library of marina diagrams that clearly identifies the rows, slips, fuel docks, pump-outs, etc? When you're sailing into a marina for the first time it's often difficult to find your way around and I thought a library of maps would be useful to us all. I'm thinking of creating one if there isn't one already. What do you think of this idea?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-19-2012
SV Skalliwag #141

brokesailor is on a distinguished road
Maps of Marinas

Maybe you can work with Active Captain on the idea.
SayGudday likes this.
Old 12-19-2012
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Re: Maps of Marinas

We have a couple such books in BC..

Docks and Destinations

and another BC Marina handbook, but it's out of print now. Both have aerial views and/or diagrams, lists of services and conveniences.. quite handy.

There seems to be a few hit-and-miss sites for such things on the web..
SayGudday likes this.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 12-19-2012

deltaten is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to deltaten

Google is yer friend ! I use "Ask" and get hits for marina services, overviews and commercial listings of member assn's detailing most major and some minor marinas.

Let yer fingers do the walking!!
SayGudday likes this.
Old 12-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by deltaten View Post
Google is yer friend ! I use "Ask" and get hits for marina services, overviews and commercial listings of member assn's detailing most major and some minor marinas.

Let yer fingers do the walking!!
I'm thinking we need something that prints off easily and is more of a line drawing that shows slip numbers etc. That would have been a BIG help to me on numerous occasions. Google Earth and the various maps functions don't have that kind of information unfortunately.
Old 12-19-2012
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough

You could call the Marina in question and ask them your concerns.. if anyone knows of problems approaching they would.. after all it's in their best interest to have people want to approach and stay, visit, use the services....Some even have water taxis that are more then happy to guide you "in" Georgetown yacht basin on the sassafras river MD did that for me when I lost steering and was coming in on the emergancy tiller, a few years ago.
SayGudday likes this.

My boat is for sale.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-19-2012
Senior Smart Aleck

jameswilson29 is on a distinguished road

One approach would be to use Google earth satellite photos - I am not sure what they would charge. You can compile photos of the various marinas, just as the more modern cruising guides are using helicopter or satellite photos for channels and entrances.
SayGudday likes this.
Old 12-19-2012

sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about

All well and good, Marinas.com , Active Captain, Google Earth, but I know exactly how the Op feels. Sure you can get a feel for the land and approaches, but where is dock West C-23? Strange marinas can be confusing. When they try and tell you over the VHF it can be even more confusing. Throw in reduced visibility at night and you can find yourself in a real bind.
An actual layout of the marina detailing slip numbers and location you are not going to find using Google Earth, Active Captain, or Marinas , com.
The best bet is to contact them over the phone before departing and have them fax you over a marina layout. Hard to do I know when you are out cruising.
Some you can find on line, but as far as a compilation book detailing marinas in your area, I would be surprised if one existed.
SayGudday likes this.

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most - E.B. White

Last edited by sailortjk1; 12-19-2012 at 09:18 PM.
Old 12-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by deniseO30 View Post
You could call the Marina in question and ask them your concerns.. if anyone knows of problems approaching they would.. after all it's in their best interest to have people want to approach and stay, visit, use the services....Some even have water taxis that are more then happy to guide you "in" Georgetown yacht basin on the sassafras river MD did that for me when I lost steering and was coming in on the emergancy tiller, a few years ago.
Sometimes that works great! I have a longer list of times that approach ended with frustration. In fairness to the marina staff, if they can't see exactly where you are then it's pretty hard for them to talk you in when their rows aren't signed.
Old 12-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameswilson29 View Post
One approach would be to use Google earth satellite photos - I am not sure what they would charge. You can compile photos of the various marinas, just as the more modern cruising guides are using helicopter or satellite photos for channels and entrances.
I've found the satellite photos invaluable for approaching inlets so I definitely think they would go on the site as well. It'd be a free service so I doubt Google would chase me for payment. Single handing into a strange marina would be made easier by having a printed off, line drawing map of the place I think. For me anyway.
wanttosail likes this.