Size Numbering on Winches - Page 2 - SailNet Community
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 14 Old 12-23-2012
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA
Re: Size Numbering on Winches

Try this site

Winch comperarison - Self-tailing models
L124C likes this.

Back home on Lake Ontario after something over 36,000 nm circumnavigator. Not surprisingly there is a lot of stuff I want to get done on Ainia both cosmetically and functionally. Getting an early start so it will be ready to go for next summer (Lake Superior?).
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
post #12 of 14 Old 12-27-2012

I never serviced my winches until they seized completely. Never needed the hole-in-cardboard-box trick because there simply would be no loose parts to lose.
post #13 of 14 Old 12-27-2012

Originally Posted by killarney_sailor View Post
Thanks for the link and OP! Good question and the answers make me feel very silly.

I was told a long time ago (by someone who SHOULD have known!) that the winch number was the manufactures rough estimation of the length of boat for which the winch would serve as a primary. It wasn't really an issue for me, so I accepted it. However, I often wondered why my Lewmar ST 40's (and me) sometimes get worked in a good blow on my 30 foot boat. I thought: "I'm not exactly a small guy, and 40's should be overkill!"). I could always head up, but thought that I shouldn't need to with my guns and the mighty ST 40's.
Now, I can stop fighting it. Whew....what a relief! (no ego here!)

I do wonder how they match the winch to the probable load. Is there a formula for sail size to winch power ratio?
I assume the power ratio on the chart is for low gear (on two speed winches), as they would want to rate the most power you could expect from the winch, when push comes to shove. Correct?

Regarding the winch service issue: I found a small plastic bucket in the paint department at the hardware. I cut the bottom out and it fits nicely around the base of the winches to retain parts when I service them. If it needed to be bigger, I could have removed more of the lower section of the bucket to fit.

Last edited by L124C; 12-27-2012 at 04:50 PM.
post #14 of 14 Old 12-27-2012

There are formulas that can generate expected sheet loads based on sail area and wind speed. When you combine this with the maximum work output of 50lbs peak, you can pretty easily figure out the minimum power ratio you need on a winch.

The issue is that while most builders use 50lbs, many people prefer an easier workout and want more power.

The formula btw is:

SL = SA x V x 0.00431

SL = Sheet Load in pounds
SA = Sail Area in square feet
V = wind speed in knots

ML = E x P x 0.00431 x V)
(√P + E) x (E - X)

ML = Mainsheet Load in pounds
E = Foot length on main in feet
P = Luff length of main in feet
V = Wind speed in knots
X = Distance from aft end of boom to mainsheet attachment point
killarney_sailor and L124C like this.

Greg Rubin

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.